Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across an ad for the US Civil Flag and thought at first it was some leftist claptrap bogus bs thing.

then I found this article:

The article is from 2011, but still I find interesting.

Flag Rectangle Line Font Flag of the united states

Thoughts?

·
Listen to the ghosts
5,666 Posts
The US has a flag, and that isn't it.

4 U.S. Code § 1 - Flag; stripes and stars on
prev | next
The flag of the United States shall be thirteen horizontal stripes, alternate red and white; and the union of the flag shall be forty-eight stars, white in a blue field.
(July 30, 1947, ch. 389, 61 Stat. 642.)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Some time ago there was one of these flags on display at the Mariners' Museum, Newport News, Virginia.

My thoughts are that it is "just" part of our history with little significance, if even known about, to today's citizenry.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
interesting given that 4 USC Section 1 was passed in 1947.

Positive Law; Citation
This title has been made positive law by section 1 of act July 30, 1947, ch. 389, 61 Stat. 641, which provided in part that:
“title 4 of the United States Code, entitled ‘Flag and seal, Seat of Government, and the States’, is codified and enacted into positive law and may be cited as ‘4 U. S. C., § —’ ”.
Repeals
Section 2 of act July 30, 1947, provided that the sections or parts thereof of the Statutes at Large or the Revised Statutes covering provisions codified in this Act are repealed insofar as the provisions appeared in former Title 4, and provided that any rights or liabilities now existing under the repealed sections or parts thereof shall not be affected by the repeal.

U.S. Code: Title 4 | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

1,208 Posts
If you notice, the Coast Guard flew the Civil flag prior to the '40's. Because the Coast Guard was non-military. A Coast Guard ship and crew could legally board a foreign flagged vessel without incident. A U.S Navy warship, flying the Battle Flag, would be an act of war.
I didn’t know that. Learn something new everyday

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you notice, the Coast Guard flew the Civil flag prior to the '40's. Because the Coast Guard was non-military. A Coast Guard ship and crew could legally board a foreign flagged vessel without incident. A U.S Navy warship, flying the Battle Flag, would be an act of war.
I vaguely remember that from civics class.

(1980's to you young whipper snappers who wasn't taught jack.)

I knew there were other flags, but the intent and use was unknown to me.

·
Registered
14,351 Posts
I really don’t care what anyone else thinks. My flag is Old Glory. State flags are for states. The flag doesn’t signify dominion over me. It’s not their flag. It’s OUR flag. We LET them use it. And if they abuse it, we get to take it away from them, and strip them of the power we allowed them to have.

Sometimes lawyers get too wrapped up in the words. Saying something doesn’t make it so, even if you ARE the government or the courts. If it did, we’d all be British subjects.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
I didn't notice but thank you for this info.

It is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The US has only been at peace about 8% of the time since its inception, so a peacetime flag shouldn't get much use. It is easy to be surprised at that 8% statistic, because most of us only think of the big wars we get taught about in school. But the historical definition of war is "an armed conflict that claims over 1,000 lives in any given 12 month period."

I'm not complaining, but the US has pretty much continually been involved in armed conflicts throughout its history, fighting Native Americans, Mexicans and more recently, conflicts in the Middle East. We are almost always at war by the technical definition.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I came across an ad for the US Civil Flag and thought at first it was some leftist claptrap bogus bs thing.

then I found this article:

The article is from 2011, but still I find interesting.

View attachment 397508

Thoughts?
That flag bears a striking resemblance to the one used in the TV show "Jericho" for the ASA (Allied States of America).

Reactions: hua man and ikean

·
Registered
22,240 Posts
the US has many historical flags, including a lot of great ones from the Revolution. the "law" may designate a single flag, but there are a bunch of other good ones, that I really like.

Christmas tree Plant Larch Tree Evergreen

Rectangle Textile Font Pink Art

Reactions: Ozone Crusade

·
Registered
14,351 Posts
Needs more stars sewn on, on top of Joe Biden's blood stains.
What states are you trying to add?
The stars represent the states....can't add more stars without more states.
I think we'd be OK adding everything west of Ontario. We could even divide Ontario and take the northern chunk.
But the First Nations may not like how things work.

·
Registered
790 Posts
What states are you trying to add?
The stars represent the states....can't add more stars without more states.
I think we'd be OK adding everything west of Ontario. We could even divide Ontario and take the northern chunk.
But the First Nations may not like how things work.
Take all of Canada. Four new stars. I'll turn on these skidmarks in a second for attempting to starve me. Or just the West. It is the better part, and I can move beforehand lol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts