Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys store your water? I am lucky to have a house but being in an apt or small condo might be different. If you can provide any urban tips or pictures I would appreciate it. As a newbie I currently have two cases of bottle water and am looking into larger water storage containers be it 10 or 20 gallon containers.

·
Prepped
177 Posts
How do you guys store your water? I am lucky to have a house but being in an apt or small condo might be different. If you can provide any urban tips or pictures I would appreciate it. As a newbie I currently have two cases of bottle water and am looking into larger water storage containers be it 10 or 20 gallon containers.
I subscribe to a water delivery service and have distilled water delivered in five gallon bottles. Distilled water has an unlimited shelf life (they say) as opposed to mineral water that's good for about six months. My wife drinks it so that provides rotation of the stock. I typically keep 10 full bottles at any time which should provide a couple, or few, weeks of drinking water comfortably.

What I need to deal with is water to flush toilets. I haven't addressed that yet although it is pretty important.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I keep five gallon water cooler bottles filled and stashed around the house. I had a power outage Saturday for about 16 hours. I was home alone, and used most of one five gallon jug. Power outages are a common occurrence where I live, and can last several days. The power outage Saturday caught me off guard. Usually if there is prediction of power threatening weather, we fill a bathtub to handle toilet flushing and dish washing. There are three cases of bottled water on the floor of the hall closet. There is enough to buy some time and help others if needed. That is what is on hand and is routinely rotated. There are three Katadyn filter systems in reach if the crisis means beating feet out of here.

·
Registered
219 Posts
just remember expiration dates on water are BS put there only to make you buy more if you keep it out of the light especially the sunlight it will keep a long long time. Now this does not mean it will always taste the same water tends to go flat over time in a bottle you can fix this by pouring it back and forth to re-areate it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'd test to see if your tub will hold water long-term. Our tubs stoppers will slowly leak even when closed, and will drain overnight. Might want to cover the drain with plastic wrap to help hold in the water.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
One company carries a product that is a liner that fits into your bath tub. Cant remeber the name of it and dont have a link, but sure you can google it.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
I too have about ten 5 gallon drinking water containers on hand. That, coupled with the 40 gallon HW heater and a sandpoint well with a handpump, are what I have incase things go bad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sustainable urban water solution

I'm in the process of building a 4' x 4' x 4' plywood tank framed with 2 x 6s in my basement. It is lined with a potable water plastic liner, has a plywood lid, and will hold 480 gallons. Initially I will fill it with city water, but it is positioned so that it can be refilled with rain water piped from my downspouts. Here in TN we get an average of over 4" rain/month every month, so should be a fairly sustainable solution. Discussed my plans with a structural engineer and he said it should be plenty strong enough, but to focus on the connections at the corners and especially 1/3 of the way up where the most load will be. Think of the rings around a barrel--they handle the load, so I'm lapping the 2 x 6s at the corners and using plenty of screws and HD construction adhesive. Total cost will be about $250, of which $100 is the liner.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
I'm in the process of building a 4' x 4' x 4' plywood tank framed with 2 x 6s in my basement. It is lined with a potable water plastic liner, has a plywood lid, and will hold 480 gallons. Initially I will fill it with city water, but it is positioned so that it can be refilled with rain water piped from my downspouts. Here in TN we get an average of over 4" rain/month every month, so should be a fairly sustainable solution. Discussed my plans with a structural engineer and he said it should be plenty strong enough, but to focus on the connections at the corners and especially 1/3 of the way up where the most load will be. Think of the rings around a barrel--they handle the load, so I'm lapping the 2 x 6s at the corners and using plenty of screws and HD construction adhesive. Total cost will be about $250, of which $100 is the liner.
Good idea! Have you considered renting or borrowing a hand-bander (use metal banding around the outside)? That stuff is strong!

·
Old Guy
1,889 Posts
I have two Waterbobs for just in case. I keep cases of bottled water in the garage and have a case or so in both trucks. I also have a decent supply of water purification tablets, and regular chlorine bleach on hand.

Small Katadyn filters and a camp filter are on the to buy list as is a Big Berkey is I ever come up with the money.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do you have a source you could share for the liners?

I have two Waterbobs for just in case. I keep cases of bottled water in the garage and have a case or so in both trucks. I also have a decent supply of water purification tablets, and regular chlorine bleach on hand.

Small Katadyn filters and a camp filter are on the to buy list as is a Big Berkey is I ever come up with the money.

·
Just a rock & spear guy
1,333 Posts
Like others we have several waterbob's. The only downside is you need to fill them BEFORE the water gets shut off. We also have a lake nearby and water filters.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have 6 55gal. drums with water under my workbench in the garage plus rain barrels out back and a couple of waterbobs in the closet plus I live about 1/2 mile from a large lake.

If you have a softdrink bottling plant close by you can get food grade barrels for a little of nothing and thier not very hard to clean. But... If my water winds up tasting like Mountian Dew good for me right???

·
Registered
15 Posts
water storage

Gents,
One thing I can suggest that I have learned from years of fish keeping is to have Rubbermaid Brute trashcans in the basement filled with water. I do this for the fish so as to let the chlorine disipate (toxic to fish). Two of these gives me at least 60-70 gallons of water. After a time of storage it does pick up a slight taste but it hasnt bothered the fish and I do have some over 8yrs old.
Also for the saltwater fish I store in a true water grade storage container :http://www.tractorsupply.com/leg-style-storage-tank-65-gal--2137316 and in this one I use Reverse Osmosis water. Keeping a powerhead submerged in these keeps the water well aerated and keeps it from getting funky.
So if I had to survive a disaster of some sort, I could always eat the fish, use aquarium water to flush toilets, and drink their fresh storage (top-off) water.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
Have you considered setting up a rain catching system and a 1000 gallon underground tank. 1000 gallon tanks run in the 65" by 85" size and are about $500 + shipping. Save shipping by local pick up.

After that all you would need is a purification system.

i'm thinking of setting one up to overflow into a seperate leach field, 20' or so. That could handle some toilet flushing and other stuff.

my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 43 Posts