Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Kolkata, India.

The water supply here will be off for 24 hours. starting Monday. I need to stock up as much water as I can. I have managed to stock up enough drinking water to get by.

But water for hygiene is a different matter.

I have two barrels which can store a total of 220 litres (58 gallons). Apart from that I have some containers which can store about 30 litres (7 gallons) each.

But I can tell that it is not going to be enough. I have been talking to my father about getting a 325 litre (85 gallon) tank, but it'll be probably be used for daily use, and not stock use.

I need some advice on how I can store water, both for the shut off on Monday, and for later use. Water supply occasionally goes off, mostly without warning, so a stock is essential.

I live in a small apartment, and I have isolated some spaces. But I need advice on what to use and how to store water.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
" I can tell that is not going to be enough" please clarify. Do you mean for the 24 hour period, or enough for future emergencies where the water may be off for a long time?
7 gallons per person seems more than enough for 24 hours. I guess we need more specific information. How many people are you preparing for? Do you live in an arid area or do you have access to water that could be filtered and treated for use? How long a period do you think you want to store water for (be prepared for 3 days, 3 months, 3 years?) a simple search of forum discussions regarding water storage should bring up
loads of info. If you can be more specific, some members will no doubt have
lots of advice. (welcome to the forums)

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,181 Posts
Also, as an apartment dweller, where you are located (upper or lower floors) is extremely important. Water is heavy. I would be careful concentrating that much weight in one area if I were on an upper level.

·
The War to end all Wars
623 Posts

·
American fearmaker
14,244 Posts
You are in Indiana and you're worried about not having enough water? Think about all that snow that is presently all around you. When you need water to do minor things, melt some of the snow. You find some clean snow, put it in some containers and take it into the warm house/apartment and let it melt into water. Boil it before you do anything with it. Any snow that you get to use you should be sure that it is clean and has not been walked on or anything. Tip of the day: Don't eat yellow snow....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. The water supply has been off since 2 in the afternoon today. And things don't look too bad right now. I should be able to get through this. But I need tips on long term water storage, and storage of water only for emergencies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, as an apartment dweller, where you are located (upper or lower floors) is extremely important. Water is heavy. I would be careful concentrating that much weight in one area if I were on an upper level.
I live in the first floor. The floors are made of concrete, so the weight shouldn't be a problem unless things get extreme

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are in Indiana and you're worried about not having enough water? Think about all that snow that is presently all around you. When you need water to do minor things, melt some of the snow. You find some clean snow, put it in some containers and take it into the warm house/apartment and let it melt into water. Boil it before you do anything with it. Any snow that you get to use you should be sure that it is clean and has not been walked on or anything. Tip of the day: Don't eat yellow snow....
Ha ha. I live in INDIA. Not Indiana. Different country, different continent.

:D:

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
For large storage. What are your preferred materials for containers guys?
The solid poly type tanks in 55 or 65 gallon size for a house basement.....Make sure it is not a clear poly tank as is used for animals as it will let in light which can promote mold...Before you buy one measure it to make sure it will fit thru all openings where it will be going.................I would recommend the 6 0r 7 gallon poly jug containers so you can easily move them....................

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am just using lots of 7 gallon containers from aqua tainer . Not very convienent but its the best I can do in my current space situation.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
I am just using lots of 7 gallon containers from aqua tainer . Not very convienent but its the best I can do in my current space situation.
YOU did the right thing.:thumb:..They are convenient....They can be handled and moved around instead of say a sistern tank...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am also using the 7 gallon aquatainer containers. I like the fact that they are stackable and can be moved easily. Also when I rotate the water, it's easy to water the garden with them.

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
No showers for 24 hours? Thats really rough...poor you.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have heard of folks using milk jugs to store water in. Is there a safe number plastic jug for water storage? We buy the large Ruby Red grapefruit juice that have the handles. Those are number 1 type plastic.

Bo

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,128 Posts
I have heard of folks using milk jugs to store water in. Is there a safe number plastic jug for water storage? We buy the large Ruby Red grapefruit juice that have the handles. Those are number 1 type plastic.

Bo
Milk jugs and other containers made of that grainy type plastic degrade quickly and begin to leak within a year or two. They're not suitable for long term storage. The plastic that they make soda bottles from lasts a lot longer.

you able to get waterbob? $16 for 5 or $20 for 1, plus shipping. cheapest for 100 gallons. one time use only though.

http://www.waterbob.com/Information.do?forward=instructions
The down side to Waterbobs is that they're filled at the last minute. The first sign you might have of an impending crisis is the water going off. There have been several threads here from people who's water just suddenly went off and they had to use from their stored water.

Something as important as water storage needs to be in place ahead of time. Water is the single most important prep item there is. Yet it's the one that's the most overlooked, put off till other preps are in place that aren't nearly as important, or poorly thought out. Spend time and effort thinking water preparation through thoroughly. It's extremely important! Without it you won't last 3 days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts