Votes: 46 35.9%
  • Rural

Votes: 57 44.5%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm just curious where do most of us live. The city, the burbs, or rural. Reading the forums you would think everyone has 10 acres out in BFE. However I'm thinking that most live in the burbs or city.

I'm in the burbs. I don't have land yet so I'm stuck where I am. With that being my limitation I still think there is a lot that can be done to make it a viable "shelter" to weather the upcoming crisis and those to come.

·
<< This Space For Rent >>
72 Posts
We live on the edge of the third largest town in our county. However, we are within walking distance of rural areas. I also commute to work in Philadelphia each day. In this way, we are tied to both the city and the suburbs and could become rural on foot if necessary. I wanted to move much further into a rural area but wifey's health problems made it necessary to stay a little closer to people.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
i am in a unversity town that empties out in the summer and holidays..we are approx 340 000 people surrounded by many villages and mini towns

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
I'm in the second largest city in Massachusetts. As I have elderly in-laws who I am responsible for - who refuse to move or believe that there will be any problems - I cannot move out to the country.

Conversely, by my way of thinking, the sheeple mentality is to grab some chianti, some TP and some biscotti then head for the hills. Maybe the cities will empty out some.

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
Back home i live on 5 acres outside the city I loved it there but now Im on a CG base and having to get used to it but it is not so bad just having to live a little different

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I live in a city of around 11,000. I'm 1 block from downtown. But my neighborhood looks rural. It's weird to explain. Everyone on my block has big yards (1 acre +) and we all have gardens. Everyone else around me have small yards and no garden or room for one. I am the last house in a historical neighborhood. I'm on city water/electricity. I have a well attached to my house that hasn't been used in over 60 yrs. So I have no idea if it's still feasible. It now has a storage room built over it. I'm guessing if worse comes to worse, I could tear out the floor and drop a bucket.

·
Watchful and Hopeful
122 Posts
I live on 1 acre 2.5 miles from the city limits of our county seat. Hear I am on city water. But, I have 26 acres with another house and 30x40 shop. There I have a well with much of the land ready to farm when needed. I currently have persimmon, muskadine, apples, hickory, and walnuts. I am adding more apples along with pear and peach. About 20 acres cleared and 5 acres wooded. I am just glad that the ladder property is the one I have paid for free and clear.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
near a metropilis of 4500 population. when i leave the big city my BOL is 9 mi outside a berg of about 500 folks, half of whom i knew as a kid.

Reactions: Elliott

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I live in an urban area in the historic district about 15 minutes from the city. My husband is in the military so we have to live close to where he's stationed until he retires or we have to transfer, which ever comes first.

·
Registered
125 Posts
BFE!!!

i live on 2 1/2 acrs that is in bfe... the house i live in was built in 1912 by any great grandpa and his dad... it has never been out of our family... have my own water well....ect. ect.....live 1 mile from public hunting...25 miles the the closet chinamart and 1/2 mile from my closet neabor... life is GOOD here in bfe!!! :thumb:

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
I live back in the woods on a private road, All of my neighbors have the same last name as me... With the exception of one... And he was my best man at my wedding...
Several natural springs, lots of oak and beach, cattail bog, a stream cuts through the property(s)...
Fruit trees, blueberry patch, blackberry patch, cranberry patch...

I never thought much about my location when I was younger, I did not understand just how smart my grandfather and father were...

·
Banned
486 Posts
I currently live in the city Im renting a house. I still own my own home on 7 acres of land. about 35 miles from here located in the Rual country area of a small town of less than 900. But with gas Prices being so bad. I decided to rent my little ranch out to a buddy and live in the city for now. Actually hes just renting a room and he takes care of everything while im living in the city. Where I live now is I would say a medium size city. Whats cool about my Rual house there are only two houses within like 6 miles of each other the rest is farmland fields mostly corn and soybeans and cattle and horses.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Suburbs I'm 3miles from the city centre just under 1hours walk, head the other way I'm less than 10minutes from some beautiful greenbelt :thumb:

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
I'm so rural I have Bobcats that still try to steal my chickens. Deer walk through my front yard. I have 3 wells (one deep) and 5 sheds (hand built) currently working on a smoke house. I'm 1/4 mile from a major River and have streams (creeks) behind and to the East of me. Talk about BFE? I'm there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts