Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
facts: young newlyweds living for 1-2 yrs in NYC. Looking for tips for them to increase household security AND security on street. No firearms - looking for options and advice.. Give me bulletpoints, websites, articles....

Caveats: Though I love the remarks, spare me the "move to Montana instead" and "how many Glocks do they have" responses.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate this forum.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
i've always believed that a large dog is the best home security there is. Perhaps you could keep a B.B. bat & mason jar full of the juice from a can of jallapinos by the bed to toss in an intruders eyes?

Pepper spray/lock blade pocket knife for out of home security. Steal toed boots are good for a soccar kick to an aggressors shin.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Pepper spray is legal, but tricky. You have to be18, not a felon, and you have to buy it from an authorized dealer in NYC. You cannot bring pepper spray from another state or country.

Batons are not legal. Knives have to be 4" or less. They have to be concealed and cannot be designed for defense.

Az

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
Why no firearms?

+1 on the big dog, or really any dog is a good early warning system. My gf has a chiwawa and he perks up or quietly growls whenever anyone gets close.

If no guns or dogs, bear mace/pepper spray or a baseball bat. For outside the home martial arts and a good pocket knife.

T

·
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
173 Posts
A kitchen knife in the right hands can be deadly. Learn how to fight with it and learn where the kill zones are. A can of Wasp/Hornet spray has 25-30 feet of stream so you can spray an attacker from afar if necessary.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I was going to suggest a good 'sap cap' but I noticed on the website that they won't ship to NY.

You still might want to consider something like a sap cap since it would fit into your street needs so well but then I don't know the laws you're dealing with. These caps are for self-defense and "less than lethal".

"This looks like a standard baseball cap, however it is one of the most simple, least noticeable, and efficient personal defense items on the market! The secret of this hat is a pocket of unique impact material that is 100% the density of lead and which is sewn into the cap. Simply use the bill as the handle and the cap becomes an instant impact weapon to be used against a threat. Simple, fast, and effective! The cap includes Velcro adjustment to fit all sizes." Sap Cap

video:

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
Move to Montana and buy a few glocks :rolleyes:

okay... if pepper spray is a "problem" (NY sucks) then get some wasp and hornet spray. It sprays about 20-25 feet. What about stun guns?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why no firearms? Pscychologically not there yet; plus it is NYC, very problematic...

+1 on the big dog, or really any dog is a good early warning system. My gf has a chiwawa and he perks up or quietly growls whenever anyone gets close.

If no guns or dogs, bear mace/pepper spray or a baseball bat. For outside the home martial arts and a good pocket knife.

T
Thanks for all the tips guys..

How about specific housing location ? Second floor ? fourth floor ? Pretend no elevator, wife is 4'1 and cannot benchlift a haybale.. What do you do with a window facing the alley ?

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I would heavily board that window up. Or put a board full of nails beneath it for someone to step on, should they climb in.

Fortify your door, as well. There are a lot of options. And maybe some cameras, too.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Mace and Tazers are your choice of protection. Go to your local police supply store and get your education from them. While you are at the police store take a look at 5.11 tactical pants and shirts for you and your wife. They are functional clothing that screams dont mess with me I may be armed. The clothing is very comfortable breathable and moisture resistant (spills dont stick). They have tons of pockets and a expandable waist band (good for that buffet or donut shop). You may not be aware of this but the bad guys are. Dont make yourself a target.
The cargo pocket on each leg of a set of B.D.U.s is usefull beyond words!

El drewto- I was thinking the board full of (16 penny) nails as well. I'd go with a 3 foot by 3 foot sheet of ply wood & spray paint the whole thing black. However, I wouldn't do it if I had a dog in the house & a dog would far out weigh a bed of nails to me.

·
Indefatigable
21,119 Posts
I lived in Manhattan for several years back in the late 70's and early 80's. This is the best piece of advice I ever recieved. (from a native NY'er)
***even crazy people don't want to be around other crazy people***
use this to YOUR advantage. I had to ride the trains late at night because of my job. You don't know these people, you will never see them again....want a car to yourself? Call upon ANY acting experience you can, and create a character. My "character" had turrets syndrome and shouted out profanities occasionally, she also had really bad lice and fleas, but enjoyed picking and eating them. She was known to fart, drool and scratch inappropriate places. She talked often with her BFF by the name of Slash and her dog named Killer. Any time I was in a threatning situation on the streets, in a store, on the train...."she" could take over. Worked like a charm!!!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I lived in Manhattan for several years back in the late 70's and early 80's. This is the best piece of advice I ever recieved. (from a native NY'er)
use this to YOUR advantage. I had to ride the trains late at night because of my job. You don't know these people, you will never see them again....want a car to yourself? Call upon ANY acting experience you can, and create a character. My "character" had turrets syndrome and shouted out profanities occasionally, she also had really bad lice and fleas, but enjoyed picking and eating them. She was known to fart, drool and scratch inappropriate places. She talked often with her BFF by the name of Slash and her dog named Killer. Any time I was in a threatning situation on the streets, in a store, on the train...."she" could take over. Worked like a charm!!!!
Was that you. The Academy award this year goes to :D:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Nice! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts