Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across photos of this vehicle a few years ago and thought it was a great idea, but it went against my desire to blend in so I never really pursued it.

This guy made up a fake company and plastered the logo on a vehicle to make it look like part of a fleet. He uses it to illegally park, but I am wondering if anyone has ever thought about using this concept for a bug out vehicle, or my preferential idea, a BIV (Bug In Vehicle)

What is Telstar Logistics?
http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/telstarlogistics/2006/09/what_is_telstar.html

Photos of the vehicle.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/telstar/sets/42365/with/1665853/

As I said, it goes against my desire to blend in for a BOV. But in an emergency situation such as a natural disaster, a vehicle that looks like some sort of fleet vehicle could probably drive around unnoticed with the other emergency vehicles for a short time if need be. I don't think I would want this to be my main BOV or anything, but in a local emergency when people are advised to stay off the roads and there may even be road closures, I figure this could get you from point A to B when driving locally. Hence the name, BIV. I'm not saying I would try to pass a law enforcement road blocks or anything, I'm just thinking that it may assist in being able to travel in times where traveling is not advised or allowed in certain areas.

I'm just thinking out loud and wanted to see if anyone else ever had any thoughts about using this type of camouflage for a vehicle.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I have thought about doing some version of this. My problem has been coming up with something that would work while not evoking questions I couldn't answer.

For example I considered
+Agricultural Inspection Service
+School of Agriculture
+Bridge Safety Inspector
+Water Safety Inspector
+University Genealogical Department

But "Telstar Logistics" would defy most casual questioners. Not sure it would cut any ice in an emergency, though.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
when we were in the construction business i use to keep a couple of magnetic signs of a company that we did not like and use them for stupid things from time to time !

·
Registered
203 Posts
Solid waste Logistics, most would stay away.
Radioactive Material Engineering with radioactive sign
Don't put placards for things like radioactive materials on your vehicle unless you want to attract the wrong type of attention. It may keep the ghetto goblins away but it's going to peak the curiosity of emergency responders who want to know what potential hazards are in the area. Some placards are also associated with commercial driver's licenses so getting pulled with one may invoke more scrutiny.

For around town, something like a plumber's truck doesn't attract much attention but, and this applies to most any commercial vehicle, they usually have a contractors permit on the them somewhere. For example, my local area requires a permit for the county and one for the city. Hypothetically speaking, if I were going to go this route, I might take some high quality digital photos of the permits then print them onto the bumper sticker paper you can buy. They might be handy to have in certain situations. I drive a black Toyota that's very obviously not a commercial vehicle so this wouldn't work at all for me, but if you had a white van or truck it might.

Which brings me back to the original question- if you want to blend in, look at what the contractors in your area use and buy something similar*. Either that or look at the cars most folks drive and buy something similar to them. Who pays any attention to just another Honda Civic or Toyota Camry driving by? Slap a "My kid is an honor role student" sticker on the back and some local college sticker and avoid the "Glock perfection" and Gadsden Flags etc.

Those funny looking little Ford Transits are getting really popular around here as they're easy to drive and park, get good gas mileage and they carry a lot of stuff.

·
storm clouds on the horiz
662 Posts
I came across photos of this vehicle a few years ago and thought it was a great idea, but it went against my desire to blend in so I never really pursued it.

This guy made up a fake company and plastered the logo on a vehicle to make it look like part of a fleet. He uses it to illegally park, but I am wondering if anyone has ever thought about using this concept for a bug out vehicle, or my preferential idea, a BIV (Bug In Vehicle)

What is Telstar Logistics?
http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/telstarlogistics/2006/09/what_is_telstar.html

Photos of the vehicle.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/telstar/sets/42365/with/1665853/

As I said, it goes against my desire to blend in for a BOV. But in an emergency situation such as a natural disaster, a vehicle that looks like some sort of fleet vehicle could probably drive around unnoticed with the other emergency vehicles for a short time if need be. I don't think I would want this to be my main BOV or anything, but in a local emergency when people are advised to stay off the roads and there may even be road closures, I figure this could get you from point A to B when driving locally. Hence the name, BIV. I'm not saying I would try to pass a law enforcement road blocks or anything, I'm just thinking that it may assist in being able to travel in times where traveling is not advised or allowed in certain areas.

I'm just thinking out loud and wanted to see if anyone else ever had any thoughts about using this type of camouflage for a vehicle.
I love the green "FUNERAL" sign... nice touch! Maybe a GREAT way to get a whole group of vehicles out of a ground zero area when law enforcement is trying to violate your right of free travel and keep everyone in one place.

"Deputy, I have a dead guy and 32 cars behind me with thier lights on, what I am supposed to do? There is no power at the funeral home and this guy is going to start stinking in a few hours, I MUST GET TO WHISPERING PINE CEMETARY so we can bury the man properly!" :thumb:;)

·
storm clouds on the horiz
662 Posts
I have thought about doing some version of this. My problem has been coming up with something that would work while not evoking questions I couldn't answer.

For example I considered
+School of Agriculture
+Bridge Safety Inspector
+Water Safety Inspector

But "Telstar Logistics" would defy most casual questioners. Not sure it would cut any ice in an emergency, though.
Go the other way!

A black H2 with tinted windows, white Fed Gov plates (available at any federal building parking lot) and dress in black fatiques. Buy some cool white or yellow hi vis three letter grafix from Gall's for your chest plate armor, and VOILA! You are a Fed "Contractor". Gets a free pass every time from well trained local law enforcement.
Just an idea? Works in the movies!

·
I come in peace..
1,296 Posts
Im not sure I agree with this.. I admit it is savy.. but getting caught impersonating a utility vehicle in a no parking zone may have its penalties.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im not sure I agree with this.. I admit it is savy.. but getting caught impersonating a utility vehicle in a no parking zone may have its penalties.
Unless you're putting something like law enforcement, military or government markings on your vehicle, there is nothing against the law about making your vehicle look like a fleet vehicle. The ticket you get would be the same as anyone else getting it. I was never considering using such a setup for "free parking" anyway, I was thinking about the use for a vehicle like this for a much different purpose.

·
Registered
446 Posts

For example I considered
+School of Agriculture
+Bridge Safety Inspector
+Water Safety Inspector

Mule Skinner,

You made some good choices. LEOs and National Guardsmen also tend to give professional courtesy to other first responders. In a disaster, other good choices might be a fire fighter, EMS, Red Cross, Medical Courier Service, or a CERT as well as other aid workers. For you HAMs an Amateur Radio Emergency Service or Military Auxiliary Radio System ID might also be an easy option.

As far as faking a vehicle or associated I.D. goes, I’m sure there are some SHTF scenarios we could cook up to justify our actions but I would be careful impersonating LEOs/Feds. A simple travel authorization might be better for example, the Military Request and Authorization For Travel form DD 1610 is used to authorize travel of military and civilian personnel. A bit of “creative” form filing will get you authorization to travel where you need.

However, it is fairly easy to get legitimate I.D. on a volunteer basis with a little training that would be a good prep anyway. It is amazing what can be done online these days. It might even be a good idea to have an I.D. with your BOL address listed. I certainly have had trouble inspecting property in Galveston after a hurricane without that kind of proof of address.

Of course, like ChecktheWeather suggests you could always drive a hearse or dress like a priest, it always works in the movies.

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
I am going to have to agree with TheYeti you can do volunteer work and even get legit ID for say security guard, I have a commissioning card from the NOPD that I paid $50 bucks for when I worked for a security guard service after Katrina, now it is expired but it sits in my wallet next to my Concealed Carry Permit, that way the cop sees the commissioning card (which makes you a cop) and the CCP at the same time, the next leaf in my wallet is a military ID and a ration card for liquor in Germany it is all legit and official looking but gives me no special rights or powers but you know it works wonders. So go down and volunteer with the Civil Air Patrol and take some Red Cross first aid courses and get a little Red Cross ID. Heck I just got a FCC credential to repair radar, like $150 bucks to take the test. But it is a Federal Licence. Clipboards, orders, IDs and a half way plausible story.

About my best BS story was at a police supply store in Baton Rouge, now at the time I was a NOPD reservist, you have to be to work as security in New Orleans, and I wanted this cool folding baton for my daughter but even though I really was legit NOPD they would not sell it to me. So no problem I told the store owner: "Okay so when I shoot some kid because I do not have anything less than lethal, I'll tell the next of kin's lawyer that you would not sell it to me." As a threat it was weak as hell but I was grudgingly sold the toy in question. So try: "Okay officer no problem can you show me your police identification so that I can explain why I was delayed in preforming my lawful duties?" Sometimes being belligerent with a cop can get you shot sometimes the cop will back down. They are not very brave all by themselves and when SHTF their nearest back up can be hours away. Another way to approach them is as an equal, do not talk down to them (What do you want pig?) do not talk up to them (Gee Sir I hope I'm not doing anything wrong, my I go home now Sir?) just speak like you are addressing an equal (I am going to check on my rental property.) Works better than the other two. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Retired ambulance

Years ago I bought retired ambulance, box truck type, for motocross racing. Would drive straight though the gate without stopping. People would go up to the truck for their injures. I would have to tell them about being "RETIRED".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts