Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Monkey Trainer
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people's thoughts about using a sort of camoflague in urban areas. I'm not talking about blending in with a crowd, im talking about physically blending in with your environment. What are some practical ways to blend in with one's surroundings? I'd personally try to avoid daylight and wear dark clothes if I needed to move. But what are some of your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Blue jeans and a button up long sleeve shirt. Blue is a pretty neutral color, not to many people would notice you.

As far as the black, white and grey "Urban: camouflage sold in military surplus, I use it during the winter. The more faded it gets the better.

·
Tinfoil hatmaker
413 Posts
Blue jeans and a button up long sleeve shirt. Blue is a pretty neutral color, not to many people would notice you.

As far as the black, white and grey "Urban: camouflage sold in military surplus, I use it during the winter. The more faded it gets the better.
+1 on the urban faded winter. I actually bleach it.

·
Crazy Old Man
3,937 Posts
What are people's thoughts about using a sort of camoflague in urban areas. I'm not talking about blending in with a crowd, im talking about physically blending in with your environment. What are some practical ways to blend in with one's surroundings? I'd personally try to avoid daylight and wear dark clothes if I needed to move. But what are some of your thoughts on this.
In one of his first books on the subject, Iga ninja teacher Stephen Hayes Once made a list of modern everyday items and how effective they would be to a modern day ninja; as most items they used were commonplace and unobtrusive. One of the most interesting I remember reading about was plain old bluejeans. (Bear in mind this was before IR resistant ripstop clothing) Not only is it extremely commonly worn if you are spotted, but in low light they closely match the flat light reflection of concrete walls and sidewalks.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yes black and gray work well. Specially if you know how to use cover and concealment.

Inside of building there is more light colors and black isn't so good, but lighter colors work well. (or if you wear black and grey colors, use cover and concealment if you stalk from window so you do not silhouette yourself and so on...)

If there is no need for blend in, you can even use ghillie suit! Myself, i don't know how well it work in urban, but military manuals say, it work also well! So you can believe this...
Ofcourse you maybe like to use gray colors in your chillie to blend in more than just breaking the outline and hiding your human form... :thumb:

Yes, i like to walk in night time. Many places are still lighted pretty good, but where i live many places are also pretty dark. And if electricity is off, every places is dark. Darkness give you some safe but you must also remember, most of the violence right now happen during darkness. If there is bigger situation going on, things might chance, but before that... Remember, darknes give you protection, but it also give protection for bad guys.

Where i live there is also forest always neaer everywhere! Except middle of city centre. Our country is 90% covered with lakes and woods, so you can also use pretty much forest if you like to stay out of the sight.
There have been some situations when someone have been stalked me... For me... That mean, i act natural and when he loose sight of me, i jump to the forest and dissapear. :thumb: Forest is also your good friend.

But during bigger disaster, where you want to avoid people, you have to use cover and concealment during dark time as much as during daytime... There is nightvisions. Probably nobody is watching, but you never know, so you have to be sure and asume darkness is not enough to cover you!

About clothes... Some clothes will glow if you look at them through nightvision, some do not glow! Quess what you want to use! ;) :thumb:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
In one of his first books on the subject, Iga ninja teacher Stephen Hayes Once made a list of modern everyday items and how effective they would be to a modern day ninja; as most items they used were commonplace and unobtrusive. One of the most interesting I remember reading about was plain old bluejeans. (Bear in mind this was before IR resistant ripstop clothing) Not only is it extremely commonly worn if you are spotted, but in low light they closely match the flat light reflection of concrete walls and sidewalks.
Yes there is togakure ryu ninpo still alive. And best part of it is it chance when world chance around!

(Stephen Hayes was studend of Masaaki Hatsumi and He teach Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, where is 3 Differend ninpo schools... One of them is Togakure Ryu... And that was if i remember correctly what Hatsumi teached seperately in past to differend students...)

For togakure ryu ninja, Game is not only to be invisible... If you can just blend in it is cool! When people weared mostly only blue jeans, it would be wise you to wear them too!

Now time is differend again than what it was during 80-90... Now there is much more clothing what people use and you still blend in! :D:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Here is a video to check out that promotes the use of grey shades. (and a new Arc'teryx product line) In addition to grey I like certain shades of khakis and blue jeans essentially anything close to concrete shades. For 99.9% of situations I would prefer a casual appearance with proper colors/shading over urban camo because you do get the added benefit of blending with the public.

If you are interested in actual urban camo I think many of the new urban patterns coming out look more and more promising. For example, the A-TACS AU www.a-tacs.com works well and if you really want camo tuned to your environmnet check out the urban patterns here www.hyperstealth.com you are bound to find one that you like.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You'd be surprised how well a grey business suit works too. Not only is it the right colour/shade... the cut of the garment doesn't draw attention in an urban environment.

If the SHTF, just ditch the tie and if you do get spotted, you'll just look like some poor dishevelled corporate wannbe with no money that's no threat or benefit to anyone

just look how this douchebag's suit matches concrete :)

Mind you that Arc'teryx stuff looks pretty neat. :cool:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I say you go for the washed out black color, it is like a grey with shades ranging from dark grey to light gray. Why I say this is because clear colors are much easier to spot then "blended" shades/colors. The only clear color camo I know of is the winter suits which are white, all other have a mixture of shades and color often in the pale spectrum. I believe even desert camo has shades in it, not the desert uniform but the camo used to disguise yourself in the surrounding could be wrong about this though since I've only seen it on TV.

The best you could get is probably a pale grey-brown-blue mixture but I really don't know how to get this, having different colors on different clothing is probably a bad idea since it will show. These colors also do good in darkness.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Please keep in mind that most common laundry detergents have a UV brightner in it, Its what makes the colors seem so bright, Which will make it glow under a blacklight, I would rather not let Deer seeing me glowing so I use a clothing wash called UV Killer on my hunting stuff.

CONTAINS OPTICAL BRIGHTENERS

Dreft Liquid
Dreft Powder
Era Liquid (all versions)
Gain Liquids (all versions)
Gain Powders (all versions)
Ivory Snow Liquid
Ivory Snow Powder
Tide Liquids (all versions)
Tide Powders (all versions)
Tide Tablets (all versions)
Fab (all versions)
Dynamo (all versions)
Ajax (all versions)
Suavitel Fabric Softener (all versions)
All laundry products made by Colgate-Palmolive
Arm & Hammer Liquid (all versions)
Arm & Hammer FabriCare Powder (all versions)
Arm & Hammer Fresh 'n Soft Fabric Softener (all versions)
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
Rain Drops Water Softener and Detergent Booster
DeliCare Fine Fabric Wash (all versions)
Wisk (all versions)
All Liquid (all versions)
Surf Liquid (all versions)
Yes (all versions)
All Dial Laundry Products including:
Purex Powder (all versions)
Purex Liquid (all versions)
Purex Fabric Softener (all versions)
Purex Baby (all versions)
20 Mule Team Detergent (all versions)
Zout (all versions)

DO NOT CONTAIN BRIGHTENERS:

Bold Powder
Cheer Liquid (all versions)
Cheer Powder (all versions)
All Powder (all versions)
Surf Powder (all versions)
Woolite (all versions

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well if it's night........black is darker than night, Midnight Blue is closer, black shows you as a shadow moving. Blue Jeans are usually quieter.....alot of SF guys in Vietnam would wear them. usually heavy duty/tuff too. But my first thing, would be to get out of the urban area.......lol.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yes total black isn't so good if you want to blend next to background.. But old black clothes... What is more in differend gray scale are nice!

Wearing black is more psychology thing really... And if you get shot, your blood don't show up so well in black, so enemy can't know if he hit you or not and so on... :D:
Like when you camopaint your face... It is for camo, but there is also psychological aspect for painting your faces... ;)

And whatever you wear, you have to know how to move during night... Without that skill, you are target...

Forexample, there is darker and not so dark shadows. Differend tone of shadows. You have to understand them and where to move!
When you hide yourself edge of the any shadow... Between the lighted area and shadow. You are in better cover there than if you are deeper inside of the shadow. Because there is higher constract between lighted area and shadow... So you blend in much better! And so on...

if you move slow, you are more invisible than if you move fast. And if you move toward target you are more invisible than if you move horizontal to your target and so on...

Moving throught night is art if you can call so...

When is night, there is colder air and that why any sound travel longer distance than during daytime...
There is btw differend kind of footwear what to use... Some tone your steps down better than others. :thumb:

I do not recommend to use camo wears in urban settings... I recommend to use forexample gray trousers, differend tone of gray shirt and some kind of hat to cover your head... In some situations gloves are nice, in differend situation gloves make you look like a spookyman...

Hoods are nice to cover your head, but they easily also disort where sounds come from... So i like to use woolly hat... it is tighter against to ear and do not disort where sound come from... :thumb:

When we talk about night movement, we have also talk about noise and light discipline. It isn't only what you wear and how you move through differend area!
You want also want to read differend articles about human night vision. ;) That is the start...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Here is a video to check out that promotes the use of grey shades. (and a new Arc'teryx product line) In addition to grey I like certain shades of khakis and blue jeans essentially anything close to concrete shades. For 99.9% of situations I would prefer a casual appearance with proper colors/shading over urban camo because you do get the added benefit of blending with the public.

If you are interested in actual urban camo I think many of the new urban patterns coming out look more and more promising. For example, the A-TACS AU www.a-tacs.com works well and if you really want camo tuned to your environmnet check out the urban patterns here www.hyperstealth.com you are bound to find one that you like.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Zk7nBclX4
I'd love too buy a jacket of some sort but its very expensive.

·
Realist
427 Posts
It depends on what you are trying to do and how urban the environment is. Under normal circumstances wearing anything that is obviously camo is going to raise suspicion when you are spotted, especially if you are sneaking around and hiding in shadows. The best camoflouge is the urban environment itself, meaning getting inside buildings, cars and utility tunnels.

Imagine you are on the bleachers in a football stadium, there is not a camoflauge pattern that is going to make you blend into your environment. But you could travel under the stadium.

If you are in a war zone do not discount woodland BDUs or other camo. Imagine yourself back in the stadium, of course you are visible but if you leave the stadium and travel to an adjoining campus, park or just well landscaped street there are areas where you can get down and "blend in" if you are wearing foilage type camo. If the buldings have been blown t rubble then sure some grey patterns thatlook like rubble would work. But if the buildings have been reduced to rubble there will still be the same landscapingcoming up through and around the rubble. After a few weeks in the spring or summer you will have patches of weeds growing in the rubble, also the space between buildings would become overgrown once the landscapes stop showing up.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts