Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered something from BudK.com (last friday) and figured it would arrive this week (today is wednesday).

Over the weekend I received an email saying that my UPS shipment was being transferred to the local USPS system for final delivery. So I went back to BudK and saw that my package was being delivered with "UPS Surepost". I looked it up online and found this information...

What is UPS SurePost?
UPS SurePost® is an economy, residential, ground service.

This service combines the consistency and reliability of the UPS Ground network with final delivery typically provided by the U.S. Postal Service.

Note: UPS My Choice® Members can upgrade a UPS SurePost package to UPS Ground for an additional fee. Once upgraded, Members can use the features available with their Membership to reschedule or redirect delivery to an alternate address or to The UPS Store®. And upgraded packages typically arrive one day earlier.
Apparently this is a way to charge UPS fees and provide USPS level SLOW service. And then they have the nerve to try to get people to upgrade so that they can receive the service level that they're ALREADY PAYING FOR!!!

I'm appalled that it's come to this.
I will be paying for FedEx from here on out.
If any vendor I browse does not have FedEx...they don't have me as a customer.

UPS can kick rocks...

·
Super Moderator
20,674 Posts
FedEx does it too. I just ordered a lawnmower part from Sears...shipping Fedex and USPS. I've had other companies do it too....once it hits the Post Office it takes forever to get delivered

·
Run, you clever boy.
286 Posts
Do you guys live out in the boonies. I was just wondering if that was the reason ups was using usps for final delivery.
They do it everywhere. The USPS office which services my neighborhood is less than 2 miles away, and my experiences mirror theirs. A shipping company drops a package at the USPS office for delivery, then it takes an additional 2-3 days to arrive.

·
Christian mingler
7,381 Posts
Brother in law works for ups. Going to have to ask about this.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Amazon Prime ships a lot of smaller items with Surepost or Smartpost. It's incredibly annoying. Part of my subscription includes free 2-day shipping and Smartpost or Surepost almost always add an extra day or even two to that, which means I'm not really getting my money's worth.

Very frustrating and I wish there was a way to set shipping preferences or something so they'd stop shipping my packages that way. UPS and FedEx are in my neighborhood every day so it's not like they'd be going out of their way to deliver a package here instead of handing it off to the USPS.

·
Banned
1,931 Posts
Fedex has not been out to my house in years. They send everything to the post office for delivery.

UPS however is always Johnny on the spot drivin the brown van right up to my door. Good man too, we BS for a good 10 mins when he delivers out here. Gives me the skinny on my other neighbors. XD

All n all I really dont care who delivers it, long as it gets delivered.

·
goin' round and round
740 Posts
Same problem, with the exception that USPS does not deliver to my house.

When I call and scream at the seller that I did not get the packages they have all re-shipped for free and noted on my account not to use USPS for the delivery. Never a second problem with any company yet.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I ordered 2 new bike parts, one was 7$ the other 290$

Due to being out of the country they hit me with an 80$ postage cost (which still made the purchase worth while.....just)

And then they only sent the 7$ item (which was the size of a waffer of an oreo cookie)

had to share, still angry about it

·
statists' be statin'
3,441 Posts
I live in the middle of nowhere and receive packages for our business several times a week. UPS always comes on a UPS truck, FedEx always comes on a FedEx truck, and USPS always comes via the daily mail.

Didn't even realize that there was a relationship between USPS and the other two.

·
Survivor
3,426 Posts
I only wish fedex would hand my package over to a company that will bring the package to my house!
Fed Ex doesn't deliver packages. They deliver a note saying to go online, and when you do, it tells you the nearest pick up point is 40 miles away.
It's utterly useless, and a complete act of stupidity for a delivery service to expect the recipient to drive 40 miles to pick up a product they ordered through the mail. I will not be ordering anything from companies that only ship fedex.

·
Registered
557 Posts
This is exactly why China is winning the private markets.

Have you ever ordered stuff from China? It usually says "Free Shipping", even though we're talking dollar-store prices?

China subsidize shipping! This makes their international markets boom, and every private citizen can become a seller and ship for free. Even with tracking numbers, well - it's not really completely free, but it's fairly complex and I won't get into details about that here.

Here in Sweden / Denmark & Norway, shipping costs are HIDEOUSLY high in comparison to even America.

Let's say I want to ship a package to you Americans, the smallest package costs 295,- SEK to ship (that's roughly 44 bucks to you). And that's with a tracking number.

If I want to send some small components to you in lets say an envelope / letter - instead of a package, that costs a minimum of 54,- SEK (roughly 8 $), and if the value is 5 $...then the total would be 13 $ which would indicate it'd be cheaper for you to purchase it from China or even a local store than order it from me.

This is a VERY smart move from China's gov. If we (the Swedes) and you (the Americans) did the same thing, we'd be as successful as China are these days and back in business in no time!

Instead, we have overpaid/underpaid disgruntled workers, overpriced shipping and post offices that get closed ever day, way to go - dear government!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Midway does it often. Depends on the package I guess, but that is often the cheapest shipping option. So no UPS isnt getting paid the higher fee then pawning it off on USPS and pocketing the extra. USPS has to get a share or wont deliver it like anything else.

But it is funny how I can watch the tracking. UPS gets my box across 2 states and to the post office in 2 days sometimes less, but then the 30 miles from the post office to me takes 2 more days. I know if its UPS all the way I will get it on time or early. USPS gets involved it will be late. And some boxes the mailman will put inside my gate, other times even if Im here wont leave it and I have to drive to town to get it the next day. Depends on the carrier, I have different ones that come by, one wont get out of the car for any reason.

Makes you wonder if the job requirements are completely different or just the people who show up for interviews at UPS vs USPS. Do they sit down new people at the post office and say 'look dont work to hard it makes the rest of us look bad, you can be lazy, throw mail away sometimes, and of course rude'. I dont know how many times I had to complain when I lived in KY about my mail, the guy just didnt want to drive the 1/2 mile down to the extra little patch of mail boxes. So wouldn't get mail for a couple days then a big bundle. My netflix were being watched by other people.

·
R.I.P. my USA, 1776-2008
2,479 Posts
I don't understand the mechanics behind it myself. As a frequent buyer from Amazon, Midway, Brownell's, MGW, Apex, etc., I get packages daily. Some days I receive two packages from the same vendor, both originally shipped UPS Ground, and one will be delivered by the USPS guy and one from the UPS driver; both boxes addressed from the same warehouse. Online check shows both actually originating from the same warehouse and city at the same date and time, with no significant size or weight differences between the packages. For example, the first of the month I placed an order for some Beretta CX4 parts from Brownell's. They arrived 4 days later; one by UPS one by USPS. In one box were three springs and in the other was a take down pin and hammer spring.
I can't see the fiscal reasoning/sense behind it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yup, SurePOST SURE SUCKS!

I've had 2 packages get "lost" once transferred to the the USPS system. The first one was an item from Midway. They sent a replacement out and I requested that it be not sent surepost, got it two days later. The original package is still MIA.
2nd time (forget the vendor) but I had to jump through hoops to get a refund. Took screen shots everyday for a week of the USPS tracking to show how every day the est. delivery date changed.
On Monday the delivery date was Tuesday, on Tuesday it was Wednesday, on Wednesday it was Thursday. Called the USPS office where the package was "at", they had "no record of it". Yeah, right. What awesome service.

I've never had amazon ship my prime item other than USPS/FEDEX all the way.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If I order something via prime and it doesnt arrive in 2 days, I email them and complain which almost always results in a $10+/- rebate being tagged to my account. I ordered some solar panels a few months ago through amazon all 4 shipped from the same warehouse, all tracked together until they hit my local ups depot for delivery. 2 showed up on time, 1 the next day late and the 4th 2 days after that very late. I don't really understand how that happens. You'd think they can't be making money like that but they stay in business.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I recently ordered something from BudK.com (last friday) and figured it would arrive this week (today is wednesday).

Over the weekend I received an email saying that my UPS shipment was being transferred to the local USPS system for final delivery. So I went back to BudK and saw that my package was being delivered with "UPS Surepost". I looked it up online and found this information...

Apparently this is a way to charge UPS fees and provide USPS level SLOW service. And then they have the nerve to try to get people to upgrade so that they can receive the service level that they're ALREADY PAYING FOR!!!

I'm appalled that it's come to this.
I will be paying for FedEx from here on out.
If any vendor I browse does not have FedEx...they don't have me as a customer.

UPS can kick rocks...
As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

If you don't want to pay for shipping, SurePost and SmartPost is what you will end up with. And, since it's the USPS that handles the last mile, more often than not, you're going to be stuck waiting an extra day or two for that package.

The way the system works is UPS/FedEx picks up the package from the distributor - amazon as an example - using their own trailers.

From there, UPS & FedEx takes the packages back to their facilities, using their systems to sort and distribute the packages to the closest center or distribution point to the local post office.

The brown package cars then deliver the package to the post office for the final delivery. Often this one stop at the post office can be dozens if not hundreds of packages that UPS/FedEx delivers with just one stop.

The system is also set up to make money for everyone. So, if UPS/FedEx has 2 packages going through their system and they can be delivered at the same time, they will intercept those packages from post and make the delivery themselves - regardless of how they were shipped.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts