Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Sport which I bought new, now with about 500 rds through it .
First centerfire rifle. I found out what I enjoy most is shooting past 250 yards, where it gets more challenging and you have to think. I hold my own up to 200 yards, standing, rapid fire and so on, but I kind of suck at 300 yards. Initially I wanted the M&P 15T but got the Sport as it was cheaper and I could get another rifle at the same time. Now that I learned about the AR platform, I realize the T would have been more versatile with it's 1 in 8 twist and free float rail. My skills are still way below the capability of such setup but I plan to work on it with what I currently have and move up ASAP. Given all the above I am considering another upper with 1 in 8 twist, 18 or 20' length. The idea is to build something "similar" to a DMR, won't be exactly that, but you get the picture . But I don't want to spend an amount that will be close to the cost of a new rifle.

Which upper would you recommend that will bolt right on, using the Sport BCG without any potential issue ? I could get a RedX with bull barrel but didn't like what I read about it. I also didn't know that changing the upper receiver could lead to serious malfunctions and catastrophic failures, I don't want to take any chance about this. I looked at getting a 15T upper but it's expensive, and it's still a 16' length. Some DPMS uppers are also available to me locally but I am not a fan of DPMS generally . I have no idea what manufacturer will be compatible as I read the Sport is not 100% mil spec. Thanks

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I'd change out the upper receiver land you'd have an bolt assist and a dust cover.

Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. I have one I bought because it was so

cheap. I found a Rock River upper for 80 Dollars at a Gun Show. About twenty minutes

and life was good. Have a Vortex Viper sitting on it. I didn't change the barrel because

it was 1/8 5R and it is accurate, no problem to clean and runs like a top.

Jungle Work

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 2014 Sport which I bought new, now with about 500 rds through it .
First centerfire rifle. I found out what I enjoy most is shooting past 250 yards, where it gets more challenging and you have to think. I hold my own up to 200 yards, standing, rapid fire and so on, but I kind of suck at 300 yards. Initially I wanted the M&P 15T but got the Sport as it was cheaper and I could get another rifle at the same time. Now that I learned about the AR platform, I realize the T would have been more versatile with it's 1 in 8 twist and free float rail. My skills are still way below the capability of such setup but I plan to work on it with what I currently have and move up ASAP. Given all the above I am considering another upper with 1 in 8 twist, 18 or 20' length. The idea is to build something "similar" to a DMR, won't be exactly that, but you get the picture . But I don't want to spend an amount that will be close to the cost of a new rifle.

Which upper would you recommend that will bolt right on, using the Sport BCG without any potential issue ? I could get a RedX with bull barrel but didn't like what I read about it. I also didn't know that changing the upper receiver could lead to serious malfunctions and catastrophic failures, I don't want to take any chance about this. I looked at getting a 15T upper but it's expensive, and it's still a 16' length. Some DPMS uppers are also available to me locally but I am not a fan of DPMS generally . I have no idea what manufacturer will be compatible as I read the Sport is not 100% mil spec. Thanks
I agree with jungle, new upper receiver with dust cover and forward assist. When you change that dremel down the front sight and add a free float handguard. I really like the troy alpha or bravo.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Another complete upper. Do NOT put your Sport BCG into another upper. Your best bet is to keep the two halves of the Sport completely stock and then piecemeal a Franken build together as you get the funds. Then, once you have another whole rifle sell the Sport off if it doesn't fit your needs any more. If you start modifying the Sport you ruin the whole point of buying a factory gun, the warranty.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After some more reading on the subject of carbine applications and M&P 15 accuracy. I decided I do not need another upper for now, until I start to
outgrow this rifle. Just read an article by a well known mag comparing the
3 main M&P 15 rifle available in 2011, at the time S&W was making an A version beside the standard model, and the T model was in 1 in 9 twist (surprisingly).
The T with free floated rail outperformed only by tens of an inch at 200 yards. All models were 1 MOA rifles at 200 yards, won't be much different at 300 yards I guess, and maybe will start to widen at 400 yards. I understand the carbine is good up to 500 -600 yards. The standard for professionals in a tac team is sub MOA at 300 yards minimum. Since my goal is to be able to shoot close to MOA up to 500 yards, the basic carbine it seems willl satisfy those requirements, considering 9X magnification and a bipod. In addition, the S& W barrel 1 in 9 twist apparently loves the 69 gr (Fed Gold Medal) which would be the preferred bullet at longer ranges, so given that I want to keep ammo costs low, up to 500 yards what do I need a 1 in 8 twist for ?

Let me know what you think of those theoritical considerations.

However the rifle furniture will need an upgrade, the stock is terribly wobbly (vertically), and even the handguard now is showing some play after I removed it for bipod adapter installation. I am looking for the same handguard ( I read it's not a classic M4 model, it's thinner) in OD green .

·
Registered
962 Posts
If you are shooting with a bipod I would seriously look at free floating the barrel. Also when you eventually want a new upper. DO NOT use the same bolt, bolt carrier is fine, but buy yourself a new bolt, generally bolts wear into and upper, and not buying a new bolt you are short changing yourself.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
wtr,
Isn't the lack of a dust cover and FA a good thing
I guess it could be with it depending on what you are doing with your AR.

I spent a couple of years in a hostile environment with a CAR-15 and a M16A1 and I

wouldn't want to go into that type of Activity without both. And a Chrome Lined Barrel.

Jungle Work

·
Registered
367 Posts
I bought the same,upgraded to a Rock River upper,heavy barrel ,free float etc,this reaches out to 300 using a vortex viper 4x16.I upgraded to help eliminate a very dangerous large population of cohorts
Works well although no flash suppressor or compensatory
It wasn't cheap, it cost about 1 1/2 Times of the M&P sport,I bought it for $499. It to was my first time into AR's , I never missed having a dust cover or forward assist, check of a rifle for the price

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.