Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, great news and great job, if our country had more like you we would hardly need the Government which is the way it should be, friends and Family is who we should look to for a little help! Life threw you a curve ball and you knocked it out of the park, keep that strong will and determination, you are a true American, thanks for sharing your experience with us!!:cool:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow, great news and great job, if our country had more like you we would hardly need the Government which is the way it should be, friends and Family is who we should look to for a little help! Life threw you a curve ball and you knocked it out of the park, keep that strong will and determination, you are a true American, thanks for sharing your experience with us!!:cool:
Right! Not the job of the government to coddle citizens. Also not their job to waste citizens' money on bs like they do, but that's another discussion.

That's another point I was going to make- I am surrounded by neighbors who are lazy, and likely illegally in the country, and have confirmed some of them are living on "disability", even though they are perfectly able bodied. And they always seem to be able to afford to party way harder than I do. Some even got their sewer systems and water wells paid for through some kind of county hardship program.

Yet when I actually could have used a little assistance, there wasn't jack crap for me. Pretty much all on my own. I got $360 through the red cross, but for the amount of crap I had to go through to get it, I could have just went to work and earned the money.

The welfare system truly is broken, and paves the way for fraud.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Yes, I think a lot of it stems from growing up "poor". You have to learn to make a way.

That's what disgusts me with a lot of antics I see from some of the "new generation" of America. The neighbors porch sit all day, and act like they are some kind of victims of life.

I grew up in a single parent household, dropped out of high school to work, which I found more enjoyable and educational than canned academics. I now make my living working as a truck driver for an animal gut processing plant.

If I can make a way, damn near anybody should be able to.
I think most of us grew up in austere , no waste , pull your own weight type of households. It's astounding to see the level of "emotional hemophiliacs " that we have in this country that can't/won't make an effort to do things besides play on screens these days.

The bolded statement above sums up the Majesty of our Country. We're not done yet ! Can do spirit, innovation and belief in what we have in our Republic will win out over the idiocracy we see at present.

·
Over and Out
3,462 Posts
Nice Recovery, Dude! :cool: That's the way to 'show the man', Man! 👊

One small 'observation' (which I'm sure you're already 'ahead of me' on.. :) Seeing the Electric Stove, there..

..Take a 'friendly tip from Texas', this past week, and make Sure you've got a non-electricity-based Cooking / Heat source (Coleman stove / BBQ / small woodstove, etc) for those 'crazy-weather weeks no one expects'..

Just .02, but Great Job.. :cool:
jd

·
Survivor
16,295 Posts
Great job! Too many people would just shutdown and play the victim.

It has been 2 1/2 years since the Camp Fire took our house and town and many are still living in FEMA trailers or their own trailers and whining. We have been in our new house for over a year. You just have to get down to business and get things moving forward like you did.

Congrats on the new place.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
wuw,10,000$?...and the price of lumber/metal..my hats off to you,I'd live in that in an heartbeat!
Yeah, not too bad. The metal roof was actually cheap, if you do it yourself. There is a place in Houston that makes the stuff, and the 3' wide metal R panel is $1.59 per linear foot. So that's (20) 10' pieces there. So 200 linear feet X $1.59 was $318 for the r-panel, $120 for the 30' of ridge cap, and $40 for screws. So $480 for the roof.

As for the lumber, I happened to catch it when the studs were "down" to $3.12 each for a week.

I saved and improvised where I could, like the base moulding, door trim, and window sills are actually 8' cedar fence pickets ripped in half with the dogear cut off. Cheaper than standard trim, and I think it looks better.

·
I'M READY!!
4,236 Posts
Great job and impressive recovery. You're tougher than most. Thanks for sharing the before and after pics. And thanks for the reminder to get one of those little fireproof boxes. I lost the key for my last one and ended up having to pry it open. Been meaning to get another one for years now.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Why didn’t you have insurance?
Because of it being an old mobile home with aluminum wiring, the cost outweighed the risk to me- if any company would insure it at all. I gambled, and lost- kind of. Lived here 20 years with no insurance. But lived with enough money on hand just for this reason.

Plus I bought the property as a teenager with my lawn mowing money, and built up. Insurance isn't really on a teens / early 20 something kid's mind. I got complacent not having it and just rolled with it.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Good on you! I did not know you had a go fund me page, not sure I remember your post. Good you live where you can build on piers.

Being small a kerosene heater would probably be adequate for back up heat. Did you insulate?

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,468 Posts
I am flat out impressed. I second the thought above, run for Prez. We need capable people!!! Great job and phenomenal recovery!

Just a thought about insurance. It's gotten so expensive that it's often worth the risk of not having it. I own an older retractable gear airplane. Full coverage is about $5K/yr now. In 10 years time, I'd have paid the insurance company for a complete replacement! Same with my home, insurance is out of sight here in South Florida. Some new homeowners actually can't get insurance at any price.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts