Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So back in November, I posted on here while basically homeless about some of the lessons I learned and also some rants I had over losing most of my belongings.

Even though I didn't have insurance, luckily for me I had a little cash saved up and live debt free, and was able to pick up some overtime. After cleaning the property up the first week, I decided to build a little house, so I took the rest of my vacation from work, and an additional week off unpaid, and built a 1 bed / 1 bath house. I did it in mostly the two weeks, mainly me doing the work by myself, but I did have my friends and girlfriend stop and help as they could. I worked my ass off, but now I'm done and still debt free.

The little house cost about $10,000 from start to finish. I also was able to salvage one of the trucks that burned.

So now I must re-prep, I'm spending about $100 a week on various preps, and have a shipping container for some of them, so I won't have "all my eggs in one basket" again. I also got insurance this time.

Also I need to thank the members of this board who pitched in to my gofundme. It went up to $600, and out of co-workers, family, friends- most of the donations were from members of this forum. So that pretty much paid for the fridge. Thanks for the fridge, fellas!

I will try to post some before and after pics as soon as I figure out how to transfer them from my phone.

·
Dog
409 Posts
That’s awful. I’ve watched what a fire does to a family. Everything is lost all at once. It’s painful enough to watch. Living through it must be worse.

I’m glad you are focused forward looking at what must be done rather than focusing on what you have lost. That’s how I face my health challenges anyway. I would lose it if I focused on what I have lost.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Wow you really did work your ass off. I'm prety good as far as construction goes and do all my own work. 2 summers ago we rebuilt a 10x23ft porch and damn you did alot of work in a short amount of time then add lumber shortages/prices.

Very nicely done. And now you have insurance to boot.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're a hell of a Man Bro ! You didn't cry and curl up in the fetal position, your took action. Instructive for all Americans. Quite skilled as well.
Yes, I think a lot of it stems from growing up "poor". You have to learn to make a way.

That's what disgusts me with a lot of antics I see from some of the "new generation" of America. The neighbors porch sit all day, and act like they are some kind of victims of life.

I grew up in a single parent household, dropped out of high school to work, which I found more enjoyable and educational than canned academics. I now make my living working as a truck driver for an animal gut processing plant.

If I can make a way, damn near anybody should be able to.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts