Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
As for those of you who dont know I am "newbie" lol. I have a three day two night camping trip set for the 30DEC08 to 01JAN09 and I cannot wait. I am so excited to be going, this will be the first time that I have been in many years. I just joined this website today and already I have found a lot of information that I am sure is invaluable. However, there is still so much for me to learn, so to all of you who submit teaching and informative forums, I truly thank you. For those of you who see this and intend of replying I could really use some helpful hints and ideas on what all kind of gear that I should take for me and my GF.

Thanks everyone,
Rusty.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
It depends on where u will be campin. I would say it's probably gonna be cold. Id bring warm clothes, thermals, wool socks, extra pairs socks, and wear plenty of layers, scarfs, beanies, gloves, etc. Use body heat with your GF in sleeping bag. Is someone else bringing cooking gear? Youll need some pots and pans, fuel, stove, firewood. Are u backpacking in, or car campin. If car campin bring everything but the kitchen sink:D:lol. A comfy chair. Fishing gear.

BEER & BOOZE
Lanterns
mantles
fuel (lanterns,stove)
candles
ice chest (& ice)
sleeping bags (pillows or use extra jackets)
shelter (tent,tarp, maybe car if it's hurlin)
food
foil
wood
radio
cards, dominos
ax, hatchet, saw
binoculars, night vision scope
first aid kit
backpack
trash bags
canvas sack ( gather wood, pine cones, etc)
gun
knife
shovel
Try and practice some survival skills while your campin. See how much of the stuff you bring that u actually need. Maybe try making a shelter, even though u have a tent.

·
Jesus, Family,and Country
158 Posts
A flint an steel is always handy to have with you. Even if you have a lighter or matches... you can't always count on them. If nothing else the most importan thing to bring with you is a good knife. Witha good knife you can pretty much accomplish anything.
What kind of camping are planning on doing.. survival camping, or the normal sleeping bag and tent camping?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on doing the normal tent and sleeping bag but I want to keep it as basic and as close to back pack camping as I can

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
first off let me say welcome....u will find alot of great information here...lots of good ppl that will help u any way they can ......to start if the temp is goin to get down at night i would layer cloths..stay away from cotton...wool is my fav but is heavy..polyester is good ..anything but cotton... ...thats and have good sleeping bags that will keep u warm at least 10 deg below the lowest temp u will have at night...just to be safe being u are new to this...so u don't freeze....like someone else said a fire steel will go a long way..try making a fire with one....take some dryer lint with u...works great for tinder...a cooking kit...get one at wallyworld for 10$ ...and a stove,wallyworld has peak1 stoves and fuel cheap...thats a good stove ...it's bomb proof and will get 2 hours of cooking off one can of fuel.....
thats and get yourself 2 wallyworld blue pads for under u...sleeping bags when compressed do not have any warmth value...so i will need something unde u to keep u from loosing body heat...other than that....have fun.. ;)

and take a first aid kit....and any meds u are on take them with u also

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Firewood and condoms...

Seriously, second on the sleeping pad. We use a theramarests. Forgo the good knife, spend the money on thermals and nice gloves.

Boiling water in a closed nalgene makes a dandy foot warmer.

Most importantly, bring a whistle for you and your girl. It may seem odd, but in 90% of rescues on national parks, if the person had stopped and blown a storm whistle 3 times (universal code for distress) they would have been within earshot of ranger stations. If this is your first time camping in years, you fall right into the rescue demographic right behind 5-10 year olds. No offense intended, just slip them into your pockets next to the condoms. Drastically reduces chances of accidents.

If you are camping close enough to keep something hidden in an accessable car, leave a blow torch in the trunk. My friends can't get anywhere before 10pm, so I like to bring a nuclear option for the friday night fire. Road flares work too, but tend to be smokey and glaring. Walking back from the truck with a totally burning 2x4 is "clever", especially if you insist that you lit it at home and brought it with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts