Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unusually large mosquitoes

Check out these pics. I got one of these the other day and thought it was a fluke, but now I got another one and I'm a little concerned. I've never seen mosquitoes this big. Has anyone else?

Edited 7/24/[email protected]:46pm to add this pic for size comparison. Our normal size mosquito(left) and the ones I wonder about(middle and right). And just so everyone knows, those are miscut keys collected from a hardware store, I have a bucket full of them -don't ask, the point is I wouldn't post my house keys on the internet.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,758 Posts
During the years when we have wet, warm summers they are that big. This year ... there's no water AT ALL so there's been no mosquitoes. Now that I think about it the flies haven't been that bad either this year. Hmmmmm ....

·
Resident Ninja
2,091 Posts
I will 3rd that comment. It's the worst part and really the only bad part about summers in Wisconsin. But with a little bit of planning, large plumes of thick smoke and a high-powered scope on your rifle... they're definitely manageable. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I may very well be wrong here but... it looks as though you killed a couple of crane flies. They eat mosquitoes.

Anyone else confirm or deny because i'm not really sure?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Yep we got some nice ones, this one tried to get refueled at the airport last week.

Reactions: Hold-on

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,758 Posts
Heck, those are tiny compared to the ones in Asia. The ones in Asia will discuss whether or not they're going to take you away with them and they do it right in front of you!!!
Remember that thread about what scares you most and somebody posted a pic of a coconut crab hanging off a guy's chest??

Ai, yi, yi ... I still have nightmares!! :eek: LOL

(My search foo is weak today ... no can find, danggit ...) :(

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I knew there'd be some fish tales thrown in. :thumb:

Duracraft, I know about midges and craneflies and these aren't those. These have proboscis for sucking blood. Neither midges nor craneflies feed on mosquitoes, but some mosquitoes will feed on other species' larvae.

These are still unusual for this area. I just have never seen any this big and wondered if I should call Guinness.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
It's our state bird here in the coastal area of NC

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Saw something on another newsgroup about a new Asian mosquito that's here in the states now.I will see if the link is still available and post it.
I remember when I saw my first one of those about 10 years ago and I thought they were pretty evil. These are like them, just bigger. Now I'm on a mission to document the mosquitoes around here and post them side by side along with a ruler and some other common items for size comparison.

It may be hard to understand from the pics how big these are. They are easily double the size of the biggest mosquito I've seen before these.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just added this pic to the original post. It shows our normal size mosquitoes(far left) and these ones I'm wondering about(middle and right).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts