Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if there are any unpopulated areas that can be populated.
In the national forest here in southern MO there are privately own parcels scattered all through them. The people there and in areas immediately around the NF know every thing that is going on in the area. These are people that city folks would not want to tangle with. They will not take kindly to an invasion of city slickers either. LOL They understand what can happen to the wildlife and you can bet they won't be letting some stranger come in and harvest any.

If a ******* hillbilly goes to town the town folks can spot them a mile away. They cannot be inconspicuous just the same as the city slicker stands out in the country.

Did you ever wonder why the supposed 'Crude Ignorant' folks tend to live in the country? It just might be that that is what it takes to survive there. If it really gets down to the absolute basic survival situation I'll bet on them every time.

What most folks have no idea of is how crude, ignorant, uncivilized the first pioneers were. There is much information on this. One traveling preacher estimated that he traveled around 3500 miles a year and out of all the settlements there was only one hymn known and no books or bibles. I'm am not saying that all settlers were that way but the very first ones to penetrate the wilderness tended to be that way. A good source of info is what the re-enactors use to try to be time period.

One source out of a multitude is "Wild Sports in the Far West" by Friedrich Gerstacker a young german fellow that came to this country to look around in 1837 and stayed about 5 years. He spent a lot of time in the wilds north of Little Rock AR with nothing but a gun, knife and blanket. No coat, no food just a good portion of toughness.

·
Mountain Critter
914 Posts
The situation in my area with the the National Forests is very different from what you describe in Missouri.

For example, the wilderness area that I live near encompasses over 180,000 acres of roadless area, with only a few scattered inholdings (privately held parcels surrounded by Wilderness). You can indeed walk into that area and not see another human for weeks or even months at a time, if you keep away from established trails.

Now as to your question, "I wonder if there are any unpopulated areas that can be populated," this area is largely high, mountianous terrain with severe winters, and would not support a huge influx of population, if that is what you are asking. But it did support the Utes, at one time, and today it will support me, and a few others today who know it well. And keep out the rest, greatly increasing our chances of survival.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with the "crude, ignorant folk" talk. Am I perhaps supposed to be offended? :confused: :D:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm including myself in that group not you, unless you choose so.

The folks born and raised in the cities acquire the knowledge and mentality to survive in crowds but when they are confronted with nature it doesn't serve at all well. It's one on one and the natural world-Nature- doesn't give a twit for anything or anyone. It is all powerful and you either work with it and use it or you are a goner. There is no such thing as Bambi.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts