Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a freak when it comes to storage and I stumbles across these videos and it got me thinking. Perhaps a hand cracked one if you lose power and maybe leave some shelves empty so if people look they will not see you having food? Thoughts? Any other unique ideas?

·
Station 44 - Ladder 751
400 Posts
Wow that is really innovative system I have never seen before.. Very interesting!

I would love to have something like this but I'm thinking it would need to be installed while the house was being built or it would take a lot more $ to put this in an existing kitchen.

Thanks for sharing though, it really is neat!

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well hopefully when I end up building a house I can figure a way to make this work :)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I've seen similar in offices where they still have a lot of paper like a doctors office with all the patient files. Hand crank on the side.
Just uses chains and big sprockets, not real complex

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,554 Posts
I love the idea of being able to use upstairs space to augment downstairs space. Most of the "organizer" type things I've seen end up wasting too much precious space and giving too little in return. I'll definately remember this if I ever get to build my house.

·
Survivalist Electrician
614 Posts
It looks like a pretty simple idea. It would be a lot of work, but nothing a good DIYer couldn't handle. If you built it yourself it probably wouldn't cost too much.

I would hate to wake up one morning and find out that the switch has gone out or a terminal got loose or whatever and have my Special K stuck on the backside, so a manual crank would be a must.

Also, I would add a little bar across the front of the shelves to make sure something didn't fall off and get stuck. I'd say a jar of peanut butter stuck in the wrong place would be enough to stop the motor on that thing.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would run into the big $$$. Great idea for new construction if money were no object. There are other options for lots of storage that run into the hundreds instead of the thousands.
This is on my wish list.
http://www.shelfreliance.com/the-harvest-72.html
Sorry if you think I was saying I was going to buy the examples in the video. I was just saying that I like the concept and would like to figure out a way to make it work by building it myself. I am sure I could use 2 old bike cogs and some chain and crank my heart away!

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like a pretty simple idea. It would be a lot of work, but nothing a good DIYer couldn't handle. If you built it yourself it probably wouldn't cost too much.

I would hate to wake up one morning and find out that the switch has gone out or a terminal got loose or whatever and have my Special K stuck on the backside, so a manual crank would be a must.

Also, I would add a little bar across the front of the shelves to make sure something didn't fall off and get stuck. I'd say a jar of peanut butter stuck in the wrong place would be enough to stop the motor on that thing.
Yeah the very first thing that came to mind was a power outage.

Secondly if you look close enough you can see there is some sort of acrylic or plastic about half way up to hold everything in.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Sorry if you think I was saying I was going to buy the examples in the video. I was just saying that I like the concept and would like to figure out a way to make it work by building it myself. I am sure I could use 2 old bike cogs and some chain and crank my heart away!
That would be a great idea to build your own. You might want to put a ratchet wrench on a shaft and only go one way. Some shelves would weigh much more than others. Otherwise you would need a brake.
Also, I would make doors to access the entire unit incase a can got stuck.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would be a great idea to build your own. You might want to put a ratchet wrench on a shaft and only go one way. Some shelves would weigh much more than others. Otherwise you would need a brake.
Also, I would make doors to access the entire unit incase a can got stuck.
Thats a great idea!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,554 Posts
That would run into the big $$$. Great idea for new construction if money were no object. There are other options for lots of storage that run into the hundreds instead of the thousands.
For new construction it wouldn't have to be that expensive for someone who is handy. For example, instead of motorizing it, it could be set up like the old fashioned dumb waiters. They carried loads between floors and were manually operated using simple technology that could be duplicated pretty cheap. But you would definately have to plan for the space ahead of time in new construction. It's be a royal pain to install something like that in a preexisting home without a ton of remodeling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts