Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Procrastinate Now
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unexpected result from chicken coop project

I have been taking about chickens for about three years now. My wife poo pooed the chicken idea, but i wouldn't stop talking about it. Finally my wife purchased me six baby chicks just to shut me up. I spent the weekend making a chicken coop.

Here is the funny and unexpected result:

My wife goes to Tractor Supply the next day and gets into a shopping frenzy. She purchased a bunch more baby chickens and ducks.

The next day we went back to Tractor Supply and I had to drag her away from the baby chicks.

Since we got the first chicks she has been in love with them. I have even caught her outside playing with them. It turns out that the chickens have turned into a fun family project.

Attachments

·
nothing
187 Posts
Looks good! I tried chickens a couple years ago. Built a coop, had 7 hens and a rooster and then my dog killed them all....

She got out one day, when I came home from work there were 8 dead chickens all with broken necks scattered throughout the yard.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Great. That's as it should be. :)

By the way, it's coop... Although winning your wife's heart over to the babies could be called a coup.

Make sure those ducklings do not swim for the first couple of weeks. They will try. but they have no oil in their fluff yet and can actually drown. If they insist on swimming, don't let them swim long, and dry them off with a towel afterward.

((((ducky feets))))

·
Blessed
648 Posts
I have 7 rooster chicks and 5 guineas that are still in the house. The roosters came with the guineas to keep them warm during shipping and are up for adoption. I already have 2 roosters that will flog you in a heartbeat.

Your coop looks good and good luck with your flock. We have to lock ours up at night to keep critters from killing them.

Suzanne

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
LOL!

My nephew scoffed at my chickens, until he found out the babies were a girl magnet! Then he kept running out to catch more chicks to show off!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Looks good! I tried chickens a couple years ago. Built a coop, had 7 hens and a rooster and then my dog killed them all....

She got out one day, when I came home from work there were 8 dead chickens all with broken necks scattered throughout the yard.
Shoot the dog!!!

·
3,760 Posts
The dogs my best friend, I only paid $18 for those chicks so I don't think so.
Did you realize he had such a strong prey instinct before you got the chickens? Some dogs simply cannot seem to learn that the chickens are part of the pack.

My old Keeshond (zero prey instinct) would stand between the box of chicks and any visitors and growl. "Don't touch my chicks," he was saying. As they got older, he'd be chewing a bone in the yard and they would form a circle around him, stepping closer and closer, and he'd growl hopelessly and cry over his bone, knowing that sooner or later he would give it up to them.

·
nothing
187 Posts
Did you realize he had such a strong prey instinct before you got the chickens? Some dogs simply cannot seem to learn that the chickens are part of the pack.

My old Keeshond (zero prey instinct) would stand between the box of chicks and any visitors and growl. "Don't touch my chicks," he was saying. As they got older, he'd be chewing a bone in the yard and they would form a circle around him, stepping closer and closer, and he'd growl hopelessly and cry over his bone, knowing that sooner or later he would give it up to them.

Yes I knew she had a strong prey drive that's why I attempted to keep her apart from the chickens and introduce her slowly. She's an escape artist though and it was my fault for not making sure she couldn't get out into the yard. She had the look on her face when I got home:

"I did good right dad?"

It was amazing how every chicken had a broken neck and was not touched otherwise. I wish I could have seen it in action. Shes a sweet gentle dog, loves cats, small dogs, children, etc... but when it comes to chickens, skunks, birds, and wild animals it's game on.

·
3,760 Posts
She had the look on her face when I got home:

"I did good right dad?"
LOL

Oh dear... And what are you gonna say? In her little fuzzy mind, she rid the yard of a potential infestation. :D:

Neighbor's Jack Russell would NOT leave my chickens alone. He figured out how to open the latch on the pen and actually got two teenaged hens. Brat.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ah yes, we've had several altercations with dogs too. Thank goodness the worst we've had from them is some ripped out butt feathers. Anymore if the chickens are outside and see a dog or the hawk that flies over every once in awhile they'll take off running for the garage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts