Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Straight from the BLS.... U-6 is UP.... from 16.5 to 16.8... in February

(funny how they say U-3 three is leveling off...)

March number should be interesting...

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
up another .10 for March....

Found this quote interesting too...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/36146865

"As the market is telling you, this is a half-full, half-empty report," Pimco's Mohamed El-Erian told CNBC shortly after the jobs numbers were released. "The amount of long-term unemployed continues to go up."

"The question is: Is it sustainable?" El-Erian added, referring to the economic recovery. "That question is going to play out over the rest of the year."

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Turbo Timmy is quickly becoming my favorite. In that Good Morning America interview he did this week he stated, in response to a question about the economy, "Well, the economy is growing again (said as if it was self-evident, shocking, I know), and that is a good thing..." and then he goes on with more senseless drivel.

I would just love for one of these government hacks to go up against a real panel of economists, business owners, and financiers. They would look like schoolkids against a team of PhD's and they would be exposed for the hacks they are.

Can we please get a reporter to ask one easy question (that will perceived as tough)? Is there one honest interview out there that will be granted or is everything just a layup for these politicians (past and present)?

For me, it is not even about the data any longer, it is not even about the economy or Wall Street... it is something much deeper in peril, with much dire consequences. It is the spirit of the American citizen. I see that broken and shattered in pieces on the ground. We truly have become slaves in a land that our forefathers conquered. It is shameful what we have allowed. It must end, and the longer it continues unabated, the more certain (in my opinion) it will end in bloody violence. See that is the root of terrorism, when people no longer feel that they have a voice against the machine. In many cases the line drawn between a terrorist and a revolutionary is decided by which side wins and writes history. I am not condoning this. I am not "for" this. I do not preach this. It "needs" to be an intellectual revolution, but more and more that is becoming impossible due to the adminstration. And that is the point of no return. When that line is crossed, then you will see blood in the streets.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you liked that this one should be an eye opener....

Its all ok... economy is improving....you can go about your business, move along, move along
ya I saw that...

The "BLS" should stand for "Big Load of $hit"

:D:

Reactions: Harmless Drudge

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
It's Getting Better -- NOT!!!

No one tells you anything. The 99 week unemployment varies depending on the states level of unemployment. Anyway it all ended today. Congress has recessed and won’t be back for several weeks to vote on unemployment extensions. Do you think Congress would have let the Bankers and BIG Businesses wait for a bail-out – NO!

So I guess I’ll close my bank account Monday. I’ll leave the checking open with a little in it for now so I can cash my IRS check or maybe I’ll have Jerry cash it for me. I do want to get a couple of more things mail-order and then that’s it.
Senate passes Patriot act extension but no unemployment extension
February 25, 11:26 AMLake County Independent Examiner, Chicago, IL, Robert Rule

All this week Senators have shown the American people just how important they are. They have bailed out several hundred banks, companies, and special interest programs but the people are still left to suffer. It’s no wonder the approval rating is so low. It also makes one wonder just what the heck is going on. The Democratic led Senate had a chance to extend unemployment for many who were about to run out but decided not to. They figured spying on you (extending the patriot act) was more important.

On Monday a much needed unemployment extension was taken out of the jobs bill. Many people thought it was a lie and that the democrats would never do that to the people. Well folks, they did. On Tuesday after an uproar from those who are running out of unemployment in Ohio the Senate stood firm and did not pass an extension. Many headlines said not to worry confusing the public even more.

Comments were left by citizens who still have jobs saying “quit crying” or “quit being lazy.” Here’s a newsflash to those people. Those on unemployment, when they were working, probably worked harder than you do. They also paid into unemployment so there is no shame what so ever in taking it. That’s why they call it unemployment insurance. Most had never been on unemployment before.

Last night the Patriot Act extension was passed but still no word of an unemployment extension. Many people will file their last unemployment claim this Sunday in Ohio and do not know how they will pay the bills. Those who had been on unemployment before them were able to get an extension on the 20th. Does that make any sense to anyone else? Let me explain if I can: X files for unemployment and gets 26 weeks in April. Y files in June. X gets an extension in December and another in February but Y can’t even get one extension in February because Y misses the deadline by one week. So Y only got 26 weeks while X has 56 weeks. That makes no sense what so ever but would anyone expect anything less from government

Something has to change and it has to change quickly. The Senate better get busy today on an unemployment extension for these people. There are no jobs! The unemployed own houses and cars! They pay taxes! Hello! Is anybody home? Instead of wasting time debating health care that no one wants in the first place how about protecting the American people from the mess you created.
THEY are working on the Health Care Bill that is NOT FREE (it's going to be like auto insurance - you have to have it by law) and enhanced the Patriot Act but left us holding the bag.

Th…th…th…th…That’s All Folks!

We’ll see how things are in a couple of weeks. People are going to get REAL MAD, REAL QUICK, without money!

With less spending I’m sure the unemployment rate will get better.

:upsidedown:

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Shrinking workforce means less people paying taxes. Taxes going up forcing said smaller workforce to cut expenses to get by. Means businesses making less money and growing slower or cutting their costs, most likely employees.

Tell me where I am wrong.

Sierra Dave
Yep, and the teabaggers want the government to cut spending and layoff even more people.

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/04/nfp-162k/

Negatives
• Average Hourly Earnings of all employees NFP fell by 2 cents, or 0.1%.
• Unemployment rate is unchanged at 9.7% (no improvement this month)
• U6 Unemployment, the broadest measure, rose to 16.9% –that’s off of the December 2009 peak of 17.3, but higher than January (16.5%) and February (16.8%) of 2010.
• Long-term unemployed (jobless for 27 weeks+) increased by 414,000 to 6.5 million. (bad)
• 44.1 percent of unemployed persons were jobless for 27 weeks +. (Also very bad)
• Involuntary part-time workers increased to 9.1 million in March. (This remains a stubborn problem area)

Positives
• +162k is the best report since March, 2007.
• Average workweek was up by 0.1 hour to 34.0 hours in March.
• Temp help services added 40,000 jobs in March. That’s a cumulative add of 313k since September 2009.
• Census added “only” 48,000 workers — far below the 100-150k consensus. This pushes their hiring out into the rest of the year.
• Civilian Labor Force Participation Rate at 64.9% edged up in March
• Manufacturing continued to trend up (+17,000); Mfr added 45,000 jobs in Q1.
• Revisions: January 2010 data was revised upwards 40k (from-26k to +14k); February was revised up 22k (from -36k to -14k).

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Congress Plays While We Starve

There is not a lot of information about the current state of unemployment. It is like THEY are trying to keep it quiet.

Well, THEY have done it again. While Congress takes a vacation we starve and loose our houses. And when the extension starts again it is questionable whether we will get any more benefits or have to reapply for something nonexistent since we have not worked the previous year or if we did work it was for such a short time that there would be practically no unemployment benefits.

Retroactive does not mean we will get money for the period we were without. All it means is that our unemployment will start up again.

Thanks Congress for a nice Easter Sunday. You go ahead and enjoy your Easter Eggs while we starve.
Unemployment Extension
http://www.mahalo.com/unemployment-extension

On March 11, 2010 the Senate voted to extend unemployment benefits for up to 99 weeks in some states- the extension would continue through end of 2010 if approved by the House. Without House approval, the previous extension would expire on April 5, 2010. On March 16, the House approved a one-month extension, rather than the full Senate bill.

On Thursday March 25, Senator Tom Coburn introduced a bill to extend unemployment benefits, funding the benefits with reductions in federal spending. Though it appeared that the Democrats and Republicans had reached an agreement on how to pay for the package, the bill failed, 59-40.

The Senate adjourned on Friday March 26 for its two-week recess without passing an extension. The bill is scheduled to be taken up when the Senate reconvenes on April 12, 2010, and, according to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, would extend benefits retroactively. This will just be a short-term solution, as the House bill that the Senate is voting on would extend benefits only through April 30.

Part of the House Debate on H.R. 4851 - Continuing Extension Act of 2010

:upsidedown:

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Latest ISM data

Interesting data from ISM... as FranshiseKid says "the devil is in the details" :D:

* non-manufacturing employment still contracting, but at a slower pace
* manufacturing employment still contracting

Yet inventories are surprisingly up. Surprisingly? Wasn't inventory replenishment part of the cause of the last GDP number? This should have been expected. Further, all this "growth" is occurring with continued job contraction in the manufacturing sector.

Still worrisome that manufacturing employment is still falling.

Service sector jobs are not manufacturing sector jobs... which is the sweet spot for the middle class (and the 70% of GDP they represent) if the tards in Washington hope to restart consumption amongst the middle class.... this is an indication it isn't happening yet... (IMHO)

So on net a better report... but still a jobless recovery.

·
Either-Or
71 Posts
Yep, and the teabaggers want the government to cut spending and layoff even more people.
Ahh... to the heart of the problem. Perhaps you have had the good fortune to see this chart...

What this is showing is that back in 1966 for every dollar of debt the government put into the economy the GDP rose by around 72 cents. Today the return is around 12 cents. It's not working anymore. Why? Because we don't make anything. Why? Because the American worker priced themselves out of the market. Why? Because they were somehow given the impression that jobs are a social welfare program.

A business has one purpose.. to make money, plain & simple. Why would I pay an American worker $15.00 an hour to make a widget, be required to provide healthcare for them, be required to comply with all the laws, regulations & taxes and then, if I manage to make a profit margin of 3%, the President and the media tell the country how evil I am for doing so. It's much easier to just produce in another country where the people are grateful just to have a job.

Even if I was "Patriotic" enough to think that it was my DUTY to employ my fellow countrymen, why in the world would someone buy my widget for $10.00 when they can buy a Chinese one for $6.85? Why do you think that Wal-Mart managed to put so many mom & pops out of business? Lower prices. You see people are greedy. They will go for the best bargin nearly every time. And no, I'm not talking about banker, CEO, doctor, lawyer, or stockbroker greed I'm talking about yours & mine. The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in the stars, but in ourselves if we are underlings.

Once upon the time someone discovered that they were better basket weavers than they were fishermen. Their neighbor on the other hand was terrible at weaving baskets, but boy, could he fish. Ancient ancestor number one had a light bulb go off... why should I fish all day & come home with a sardine when I can spend 4 hours making an extra basket and trade it to ancient ancestor number 2 for a 5 pound trout? Then centuries down the road farmboy ancestor says why should I work from sun up to sun down everyday on the farm growing my own food when I can only work 12 hours six days a week in the coal mine. They will pay me enough to not only get the food that I need but I can buy an icebox and heck they will even let me buy things on credit at the company store.

And so it goes, a new ipad, a flat screen, a 7 year car loan, a 35 year mortgage and an ARM home equity loan of 125% of my home's value, no income verification required, to pay off the xbox games and cell phone bills of the children that they just had to have. Caveat Emptor. What we bought was servitude, what we sold were our souls, and, if that was not enough, the souls of our children & grandchildren. And we are shocked, shocked mind you, that we didn't get quite the deal we thought we did. PT Barnum was correct, just look around you.

Time is money, money is folded time. All this debt needs to be paid somehow, someway by someone. These dollars of debt equal many years of someone's labor How can we possibly say that China is a currency manipulator when they are the ones financing our way of life? I guess we can't and therefore we can't compete for production jobs and we whine when there are no jobs and things are bad. An so today we whine that a government in far worse financial shape than Greece and states that are in far worse shape than either did not extend unemployment beyond 99 weeks. That is almost 2 years for cryin out loud. Just one more little hit of the crack that's all I need & then I can make it on my own.

Cutting benefits are a lot like prisons and nuclear plants. They are great ideas, as long as they aren't in my neighborhood. Cut that, but don't cut off unemployment, take that, but don't touch my medicare. Let me clue you in. It really doesn't matter we can cut it all now, or it will cut on it's own. There is but one way to slay the beast, cut off it's head. If they don't have the money to give you in your time of need then they can't control how much water your toilet uses, what kind of light bulb you use, oh, and that pesky CO2 that is a greenhouse gas, I hope the EPA doesn't decide that you expel too much of that.

Work? You want work? You will have plenty of it soon. Chopping down trees for wood, hauling buckets of water, planting and harvesting crops, taking out the zombie that is going to steal your chicken. Believe me, you will have all the work you can handle.

Back to the gulch now... I pass the soap box.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
No I haven't seen your chart before, thanks for posting it. If you look at the red line, it shows a downward trend since 1966, and then falls off the chart. I agree with what you say about widgets. However, living expenses here in the states dictate what workers have to make. If we were able to live in shanty's, then we could work for pennies a day too. So talk to your city planners and zoning inspectors about how they drive the cost of living up so high.

Luckily, I bought a manufactured home in 1994 for $21,500. I was looking at a 3 bedroom ranch that I could have bought for $95,000. If I would have bought the house, I would have lost it by now. The manufactured home that I did buy, has worked out great for me, and has served me well. The point is that I tried to keep my cost of living down as much as possible, but it still costs much more than living in a shanty.

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,585 Posts
You do understand that the private sector creates productive jobs and the government creates consumptive jobs, right? That is to say, for every government job "created", the people and businesses that keep this country running have to cut more than one job. The government, while necessary in certain limited roles, has no power to create, only to consume.

Think about it. The logger takes trees and makes timber. The timber is worth more than the trees. The mill turns timber into lumber. The lumber is worth more than the timber. The builder takes the lumber and makes a house. The house is worth more than the lumber.

The IRS agent taxes all three. He makes no timber, no lumber, and no houses. He gets paid, yet produces no store of value.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.