Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,855 Posts
BWAHAHAHA!!! I wouldn't even fit through the stairway shaft to get down to it.

Oh well. I'm highly claustrophobic anyway.

I'm not laughing at the shelter there OM, just laughing how small that entrance is.

·
Registered
34,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BWAHAHAHA!!! I wouldn't even fit through the stairway shaft to get down to it.

Oh well. I'm highly claustrophobic anyway

I'm not laughing at the shelter there OM, just laughing how small that entrance is.
I'm the same way. I went through a WW2 submarine last summer and I couldn't even deal with that for more than 5 minutes.

I guess if there were bombs dropping I'd get over it quick!

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I remember seeing a website about someone who used a piece of culvert like that to build an underground shelter. I don't remember his entrance being as well camoflaged, but the interior was impressive. He had build in bunk beds, integrated storage areas, a kitchen, bathroom, etc. He had a couch and some other furniture in it. For such a small place, his design layout was extremely well done. I wish I could find that site again. It would be a good suppliment to anyone considering using culvert.

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
I am so claustrophobic. I really, really, am.
The idea of having to go underground and be in that small of space freaks me out.

Nevertheless, as someone said above - if bombs were dropping I am sure I would get over it real quick.

Thanks for the link, OhioMan :)

·
Registered
34,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember seeing a website about someone who used a piece of culvert like that to build an underground shelter. I don't remember his entrance being as well camoflaged, but the interior was impressive. He had build in bunk beds, integrated storage areas, a kitchen, bathroom, etc. He had a couch and some other furniture in it. For such a small place, his design layout was extremely well done. I wish I could find that site again. It would be a good suppliment to anyone considering using culvert.
yeah, it seems to me I saw something like that too. It had connecting "pipes" with rooms, bathroom, kitchen, bedrooms etc.,

My DW would have me put away if I suggested we do this:D:

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
Mine too. She's the claustrophobic one, but it's not a bad idea.

Someone recently sent me an email with photos of a small grain silo someone built. It was about 12 - 14 feet in diameter and 2 stories tall. Bottom floor was kitchen/living room, second floor was sleeping area.

Hidden in plain site. Door was hidden by bushes.

·
Registered
34,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine too. She's the claustrophobic one, but it's not a bad idea.

Someone recently sent me an email with photos of a small grain silo someone built. It was about 12 - 14 feet in diameter and 2 stories tall. Bottom floor was kitchen/living room, second floor was sleeping area.

Hidden in plain site. Door was hidden by bushes.
Okay, that was what I saw a while back, maybe thats what Mikek saw as well. IIRC there was a stair case that went from one level to another.
I might be able to deal with that.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
the problem with his design was he not taking into the account that you can make entances that are walkdown staircase set up for the round steel tank shelters he takeing 1950s style entances and he not really updated the style to know days of the way a entance can be made to be a simple ladder to a nice home style walk down staircase with a turn and platform bult into the unit ..

plus you can size the tank out to the following size if you have the money to do it ..for the company in Kansas will build them up to the max size of 15.ft wide-x-15.ft tall-x-up to 100 ft steel tank building for a liveing.

the movement of the unit is going to be the cost factor at times ..but if can afford it then go with the very best you can get..

.the permits alone would be over $.10,000.oo dollars to move it from the factory to the build site and back to the burieal site..plus along with the cost of moveing the unit over the roads system with the specail truck and flatbed trailer and warning chase trucks and cars and hotel and cost of the fuel for the unit ..would put the move into the range of the $.20,000.oo dollars ..but you could build a very nice liveing quater inside the unit for a family of four ..

here is a company saying that they can build custom deep survival shelters for a liveing ..they are called .severeweather pods ..

there website .. www.severeweatherpods. com ..take a look at there website for those family members who can not stand to be inside much ..they might be able to help you and your love one deal with it..

·
Leave Me Alone !
907 Posts
I am claustrophobic also. I don't mind going underground. As long as I know I can go back up when I want. I don't like being boxed in too tightly, but I can handle a shelter like that. Problem is, the water table in South Louisiana is so high, that you can't even have a basement here. They fill up with water from the ground.

I remember seeing yard shelters here in the Cold War era. They were large grass covered mounds in the yard with a shelter in them, but the floor of the shelter was never more than 1 or 2 feet below the surface.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Okay, that was what I saw a while back, maybe thats what Mikek saw as well. IIRC there was a stair case that went from one level to another.
I might be able to deal with that.
I remember that one. It was pretty slick.

The site I saw a few years back was about a guy using culvert to make an underground shelter though. He went through the process of coating it to keep corrosion down, installing gravel under it, showed how he welded the entrance pipe on, etc. Then when it was finished, he showed the interior. I was very impressed by the entire thing. That was several computers ago and the bookmark is long gone though.

·
Super Duper Moderator. I'm helping!
9,780 Posts
I am so claustrophobic. I really, really, am.
The idea of having to go underground and be in that small of space freaks me out.

Nevertheless, as someone said above - if bombs were dropping I am sure I would get over it real quick.

Thanks for the link, OhioMan :)

Me, too ... I pride myself on being a tough ol' gal, but the three times I have had to have an MRI done I have been reduced to a sniveling idiot within seconds of being rolled into that tube ... :xeye:

I am just gonna have to live above ground and take my chances ... ;)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I grew up in a basement house. We had a blizzard in 1966 Covering the house with 8' of snow. My Dad and older brother had to fill the stairwell with snow to tunnel out and then haul the snow back out afterward. My Mom was a wreck until she could climb out of the tunnel and see the sky. Our power was out so it was pitch black in there.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
Utah Shelter Systems makes the Cadilac of underground shelters. Check em' out. I honestly believe that underground is the way to go in terms of a BOL that will enable you to survive safely.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.