Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

unexperienced person here...

we had a 6x10x6ft high concrete storm shelter buried in our yard this week. it is covered by about 18-20" of dirt. The concrete is almost a foot thick on all sides and roof. It has a large metal door entrance on top and 2 "whirly birds" for air ventilation.

We bought the shelter as protection from Tennessee tornados that are common to the area.

The shelter also has a electrical outlet that I will be hooking up later...

Now my question... what can I do to try and use this thing for any type of protection for any man made event? My main concerns (i think) are the air vents and the metal door... any ideas or am I just dreaming about using this for anything other than a tornado shelter.

Thanks,
jd

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello,

we had a 6x10x6ft high concrete storm shelter buried in our yard this week. it is covered by about 18-20" of dirt. The concrete is almost a foot thick on all sides and roof. It has a large metal door entrance on top and 2 "whirly birds" for air ventilation.

We bought the shelter as protection from Tennessee tornados that are common to the area.

Now my question... what can I do to try and use this thing for any type of protection for any man made event? My main concerns (i think) are the air vents and the metal door... any ideas or am I just dreaming about using this for anything other than a tornado shelter.

Thanks,
jd

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Wow! I'm new to all this underground shelter stuff myself. But some impressed with what you have so far. nice! Some of these guys can give ya some pointers I'm sure.

·
reluctant sinner
17,914 Posts
How many people you plan on harboring is this port in the storm? I'd look into adding an external sealed up water tank you can draw from the inside. A external waste dump would be handy. Bolt on air filtration kits are around. PV pannels and deep cycle batts with LED lighting, tunes and vid's would be nice. External propane tank for cooking. I'm thinking space is critical.

·
Super Moderator
12,172 Posts
The metal door can be sandbagged for protection. The air vents would probably need to be re-routed if they come straight throught the roof. If they are side penetration, I'd just sandbag up to the bottom edge of the wind turbines.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
Hello,

Thanks,
jd
You would not want to be in a small coffin with only one exit if people came after you.....You would not know what is going on up above without cameras.......
Once inside check to see IF your cell phone works as sometimes they don't...With only one door you don't want to be trapped down there....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess i am asking if there is something that I can do to help filter the air from fallout or man made crap... and the same for the metal door...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Soo, you have a foot thick concrete ceiling and 20 inches soil on top of that?
That will give you excellent fallout protection, up to 1000SPF if I recall correctly.
You'll need HEPA filters and an air pump.
www.Americanbombshelter.com is the place to go.

A nice blastdoor is a must to keep unwanted people out. And conceal the entrance as much as possible.

Invest in a remote Survey meter (CDV-717 IIRC), get them calibrated or else they'll do you more harm than good.

To finish it off, or better yet, start with at least a month worth's food, water and other supplies.
Especially hygiene stuff (wet baby wipes, toilet paper, chemical toilet)

Pictures Please!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah... im gonna put a 3 ton floor jack with metal pipes inside incase the door gets blocked...

the air vents do come straight up from the top... about 6in holes. is there anything that can be done to filter air or offer any protection from fall out or am i just wishful thinking...

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,601 Posts
My main concerns (i think) are the air vents and the metal door... any ideas or am I just dreaming about using this for anything other than a tornado shelter.

Thanks,
jd
Great addition to your home! Now, you could build a small above ground structure for an entry room over the steel door. A secure steel door that opens in so it can't be blocked shut by debris. Some ports to look/shoot out. Then encase the vents inside chimneys. Cinder bock reinforced with rebar and filled with concrete would be easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats the kind of info i need....

right now my back yard is a mud hole.. as lots of dirt was left over and the rain has kept coming this week... I just installed a underground drain pipe this week.. and once the dirt settles...im gonna add rock to the entire area.. I will post pics soon...

I bought the deluxe underground from this site

http://fainstormshelters.com/underground_shelters

·
Registered
258 Posts
The overpressure valves are a nice addon, but you can add them later. They're not 100% nessesary for your survival unless you live really close to a target.

Priorities:
1. Post pictures :D:
2. Get as much food and water in there as space and money allows
3. Camoflage door and vents
4. Get yourself an airfilter (http://www.americanbombshelter.com/Safe-Cell-NBC-overpressure-air-filters.htm) Will explain more at the bottom
5. Geiger counter/ Remote survey meter
6. Tyvek suits and gas masks + Dosimeter/Nukalert
7. Communications

About the filter:
You'd want a handpumped backup for when all power fails and the optional bypass port for peacetime operation of the pump.
Blastvalves are intended for shelters near targets, they're not essential. Get them after you've finished the above list, or just get them right away if your wallet can handle the 1100,- extra (you'll need 2, one for the intake and one for the exhaust)

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
yeah... im gonna put a 3 ton floor jack with metal pipes inside incase the door gets blocked...

the air vents do come straight up from the top... about 6in holes. is there anything that can be done to filter air or offer any protection from fall out or am i just wishful thinking...
Keep the shelter for short term weather problems...Take all your family and put them in one of the rooms in your home the approx size of your 6'x10'x6' bunker....Now stay in there for 10 minutes and imagine no toilet facilites,no comfortable chairs,no cooking ect and imagine that for even more than a couple hours !! Not very pleasant......IMO instead of the special vents get the hazmat suits and the best gas masks & depending on your area possible Scott Air Packs......Determine what hazards you may have in your area from factories,chemical spills from rr tankers & semi tankers ect.....Once you locate a potential problem see what direction your prevailing winds come from.....I would rather be mobile than in a tiny bunker.......Everybody is different though and i have given you some ideas to seriously think about...Good luck...:thumb:

·
Registered
258 Posts
well ehm,,, ask the company how much load the ceiling can bear without damage. add more dirt as you'll need more dirt on it to protect against fallout.
But 6 by 10 is pretty small for a extended stay in the shelter... Even for 2 adults and a kid.
Add more soil, whilst keeping the max. ceiling load in mind, add water and food. That would be a first challenge.
After that you should think about adding expensive filters and geiger counters.

I'm not hatin' by the way, you're still beter off than me :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts