Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems like a really bad idea to me. If people want you out of your bunker all they have to do is cut off your air supply. Being undwerground doesn't appeal to me anyway. I am claustrophobic to the max degree.

·
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
47,139 Posts
Unless you hide your air vents very well as they won't be noticed. Like into a rock formation of some sort.
And always have more than 1 vent and more than 1 escape hatch. The bunkers can be built very discreetly where nobody would suspect there is even one buried there.
Just keep in mind OPSEC is the most important part of your bunker build. If no-one sees you build it then maybe they'll never find it.

·
Registered
12,802 Posts
While that may be true,
doing nothing, is nothing.
doing something is a chance ,far better than doing nothing.
Here's a thought ,
Play the raider for the moment , and what are you looking for , an easy target right ?
Harder targets can be delt with later.
If no above ground defences are engineered, yes it is likely eventually if any raiders survive that long, a bunker could be addressed, and laid seage to. Sounds will give away as much as smells and unusual formations masking something.
In the sense of people becomming preditors above ground ,their senses will sharpen, having to be more alert than those below ground ,believing that being hidden can allow them to sleep.
For this reason a combination of living quarters is advisable, and regular changes of guard at the site and the perimiter are vital .
Farming needs to continue if it is possable , and a regular track of weather conditions and changes to the out side environment ,even in seemingly ideal conditions cannot be taken or granted.
The human body and mind needs sunlight , not artificial light. Especially in a depressing situation ,people are being forced into a change taking them from all their comfort zones.
If people are regularly living and working on the serface, the hope for growth is real,
but fostering false dreams in a hole can be self defeating.
IMO,
If I had the money to build what I want , it would be a complete zoo biosphere ,and all the equipment would be storred with in as well.
An ark above and under ground as it were.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,790 Posts
This seems like a really bad idea to me. If people want you out of your bunker all they have to do is cut off your air supply. Being undwerground doesn't appeal to me anyway. I am claustrophobic to the max degree.
No kidding? Me too! I can't even sit through an episode of Doomsday Bunkers without finding myself short of breath and sweating bullets. :xeye: And I'm married to a man who wants to live in a missle silo! :eek:

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
It depends on what you're preparing for.

For natural disasters such as monster tornadoes, class 5 hurricanes, and other storms involving a lot of debris being driven by +100 mph winds, having some sort of below-grade shelter makes a lot of sense. Very few above grade structures are designed to sustain high-impact loads not from the wind itself, but from heavy objects hurled against the structure by the winds. So I can get behind the idea of a storm cellar or other below grade shelter for natural disasters, and I suppose that such shelters would also provide initial protection from the blast, thermal, and radiological wave effects from a nuclear device detonating, ...although you'd need to already be in the shelter when the warhead exploded. (After a nuclear strike, however, you'll have other things to worry about.)

On the other hand, though, subterranean storm cellars are basically indefensible against most adversaries. In any post-event environment the more historically reliable examples of "moats and castles"-design shelters will provide better delay, defense, and survivability. Your primary concerns would not be high winds or storm-driven debris, but other humans. It's a different sort of threat, that calls for a different defensive design.

An ideal shelter in one scenario is not necessarily an ideal shelter in all scenarios...

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
It reminds me of this old movie called "The Guns of Navarone", which I used to love when I was a kid.

But it probably isn't that!

:D:

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,659 Posts
This seems like a really bad idea to me. If people want you out of your bunker all they have to do is cut off your air supply. Being underground doesn't appeal to me anyway. I am claustrophobic to the max degree.
I am very glad that I became a survivalist in the 1980's when underground bunkers / fallout shelters were thought necessary to survival by most of the survival writers etc.

The military and others seem to think that underground bunkers are a Good idea, at least over the past hundred years or so.

Sooo what is better than a strong, secure defensible bunker? An above ground house, castle or what?!!

And How would someone cut off the air supply to a defensible bunker if they cannot find the vents and they cannot get near the bunker since there are systems in place to protect the bunker out to 100 or more yards. Such as sensors, mantraps aka boobytraps and some other things that should maybe not be discussed on a public family forum. Boobytraps of course, should only be used as a last resort and only IF there was a bad SHTF.

Being underground is no different than being in a basement or even in a building with no windows. Surely about everyone has been in a building, possibly even working in an office or factory where there are NO windows?? or anyway to look out?

If a bunker has slits, portholes etc. to look and shoot out of, if necessary, then it is very defensible.

I know that I have repeated quite a bit of this post in some other threads but if the truth is repeated enough then maybe some will believe it and even build a bunker, or at least know how to build one If necessary someday.

Quite a few on the net don't like my bunker, probably because it looks cheap and is not fancy. I personally like to just call it an underground cabin which is mainly a very strong very secure storage area for some of my valuables.

Seems like most people do not know the difference between a bunker and just an underground shelter which can be a bomb or fallout shelter.

Here is a quote from Benson's book "The Survival Retreat" >
"By now it should be clear that the survival retreats we are talking about in this book are not simply log cabins set in pine forests alongside remote, pristine lakes. Retreats, for survivalists, are places that provide shelter from hostile people, elements and nuclear, biological and chemical agents. Under some circumstances a retreat could be both a summer home and a bunker, but for the average survivalist, that is fairly unlikely.

To a large extent, the concept of a defensible bunker and an NBC shelter is a contradiction in terms. A shelter must be a buttoned-up, closed-in place that will protect the inhabitants from a hostile environment.

A bunker is designed primarily to defend strategic locations from hostile intruders. ( such as having portholes to look and shoot out of )
Obviously one cannot defend his bunker if he has his head pulled down so far he doesn't know what is going on outside." unquote

Before I improved my bunker / shelter with at least 250 eighty pound bags of concrete it cost me only around $100 to build since I used logs and rocks from around my land. And I salvaged much such as the 2 steel doors, rebar, steel beams etc. from an abandoned factory.
Total cost after the concrete etc. was added is about $2,000.

And I used the small pole shelter plans from this book which also showed me how to improvise and build a Very strong, secure and good underground shelter / bunker. And drawings at the bottom of this link > http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm

IF anyone else has any questions about bunkers etc. then just ask. Especially in the Everything about Bunkers thread >>> http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=107463

I have always wanted an underground shelter for protection from storms, mainly tornadoes and for all kinds of protection from potential raiders, wild animals such as a bear and even from any kind of future problems which only one's imagination will limit them.
I also thought even in the early 1980's that Why should the rich and the government be the only ones to have bunkers and underground shelters?? So I read, studied and finally built my own!

Hope that others can also build some kind of bunker or other protective shelter so that someday they won't say to themselves and their family, "Oh, if we only had a protective shelter or bunker, so that we now would not be dying from this tornado, hurricane, attackers, bear, raiders etc. etc...

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
So for you it would make no sense. Man gotta know his limitations. For others of us, there are some definite plusses to the matter. Once you have your hole dug, and roofed with a significant amount of cover, you have just stopped needing to worry quite so much about freezing in a cold winter, or frying in a hot summer. Earth is a great stabilizer for temperature.

As you point out, ventilation is a concern. There are ways to prevent others' attention to your air supply, and there are other circumstances where the ability to seal yourself off from the outside, and operate on bottled air would have some significant advantages.

·
Pale of ale
563 Posts
Id rather take my chances in a hidden bunker nibblin on powdered eggs and a bit of coffee watching my CCTV of the outside world eating tree bark than be in the outside world wishing I had some powdered eggs to go with my pile of tree bark.

·
High-Strung
840 Posts
I have a question for those of you who live in Texas or are familiar with high water tables.

Homes in Texas are built without basements because of the soil and high water table, but there are numerous bunkers in Texas. There are at least two that I know of in Galveston. One at the San Luis Hotel and one on Boliver, right off the beach. There is also a huge one in Montgomery. I don't know how many others.

If a bunker can be built, why not a basement?

·
1,313 Posts
We have had a basement for the last 20 years, no problems. It depends upon the elevation of your land and how you protect the insides.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts