Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking as I was looking at some pictures of others bug out bags. All of them were well equipped but looked more like something a person would wear to storm a beach during war. Nothing wrong with that but if an urban survivalist got on a bus packing that stuff the police will likely be waiting at the next stop to take him off.
With a major urban setting as a likely target of terrorists it makes sense to be ready. A briefcase would make a good get back home kit and would draw no attention in a city. Packed and locked it could even be left at work without notice.
Another answer would be a student backpack. Sew on a peace sign or save the whales patch on the back but fill it with serious tools of survival that will save your hide. You will look like a brain washed liberal tree hugger. Who cares what they don't know.

·
Super Moderator
12,204 Posts
I keep a plain color weather cover for my Kifaru packs. Looks just like any ordinary pack that way, but I still have all the advantages of the Kifaru.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Try gym bags the type with a tennis racket holder on them. couple of these will do quite nicely. WHen it says NIKE or Adidas on side it seems pretty harmless.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i agree that would be pretty OFF to see someone footing it across town with military style clothes ,pack ect.ect.

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
i agree that would be pretty OFF to see someone footing it across town with military style clothes ,pack ect.ect.

HA they are wearing yote brown how can you even see them? didn't you get the memo?
Khaki pants,black shirt, ball cap with Velcro, sunglasses and desert boots and molle packs help you blend in:thumb:

There is a time and place for everything.

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
try maxpedition(no i dont work for them), they have some pretty nice stuff and very durable. They have a variety of bags, in a variety of flavors. maxpedition.com

Unfortunately for me, the bag i want from them has been discontinued.

peace
al

·
Registered
79 Posts
i see hitch hickers all the time with army bags camping backpacks grocery carts might be the urban way togo
stick everything in trashbags put on some dingy clothes mess your hair up throw a little dirt on your face anybody comes near you scream the alliens are coming overand over
if that don't work panhandle for some change they will ignore you or give you money either way you win

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've noticed the Rambo trend as well. Some feel it will give them an advantage. Others do not care what others think of them. While I do have some military gear, it stays at home for those times I need to patrol the backyard. Other than that, most of my packs and clothing I wear for getting home or bugging out are civilian in nature in subdued earth toned colors. Most of the time I would probably go with the construction worker look by using Dickies, Carhartt, and Wrangler Riggs. The downside is that some of the clothing is 100% cotton that is best to be avoided in wet weather. However, these are trade offs that must be made to have a low profile look and pass under the radar. Sometimes it does not matter whether a civilian or military packbag is utilized if the pack is much larger than 2000 to 3000 cubic inches. Most back packs in urban areas are smaller than this, so anything larger will stand out more.

As the saying goes, "Walk softly and carry a big stick."

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
How about a large "Winnie the Pooh" type diaper bag? Toss a woman's purse over your shoulder (CCW pistol inside) and cops will probably open the door for "you poor bastard". haha

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
It's not too unusual for urbanites to use an old army bag for that "nostalgic" look, but the full tactical MOLLE packs do stand out a bit. If you have a huge hiking pack on, you are going to stand out regardless of what color it is.

Honestly though, you don't need to go "undercover." Just don't do anything to make yourself really noticeable. Having a backpack isn't out of the ordinary; having lots of gear strapped around your belt is unusual. Dress like you normally do (unless tactical gear is your usual attire). You don't have to be a James Bond or Jason Bourne though. IMO the only people that would notice you wearing 5.11 pants and vest are other people who wear the stuff.

·
Question Authority!
260 Posts
In college a guitar case is how we carried all contraband in and out of every place imagineable. How useful that will be bugging out is anyones guess. I suppose if you put everything in the guitar case including your BOB, you should have no problem getting your stuff out of the city. As far as your appearance who cares it rock and roll and anything goes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think the important thing to remember is to blend into your surrounding area...around here, a full .mil cammo outfit would blend right in, while a gym bag would stick out like a sore thumb...jeans, work boots, sweatshirt and a Carthart type jacket would blend in too....a .mil backpack...no one would notice....but that's here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What's important is what's inside the bag, not the bag itself.

Draw as little attention to yourself as possible. Dress casually, proper hygiene & haircut, stay physically fit...

You'd be surprised what you can potentially carry if you blend in. This includes the backpack. A $20 Jansport from the local megastore can house a lot of necessary items without a second look.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think the important thing to remember is to blend into your surrounding area...around here, a full .mil cammo outfit would blend right in, while a gym bag would stick out like a sore thumb...jeans, work boots, sweatshirt and a Carthart type jacket would blend in too....a .mil backpack...no one would notice....but that's here.
Oh Man, I shudder to think what I will need to do to carry a BOB in San Francisco and fit in. ;)

Seriously a Big wheeled suitcase with your BOB in it would be the best traveling through a urban area. If 'They" are after you, unzip the suitcase, suit up and run. Plus no thief can snatch and grab a hunkin suitcase :)

·
Prep to LIVE a good life!
332 Posts
This is a great subject to discuss. Among my B-O-Bs, I carry a Miller Lite gym bag with me everytime I leave the house. It has the immediate basics for getting away; including cash passport, hair dye & change of clothes & more.
I keep a clean, yet lightly stained towel tied to the shoulder strap & my used, but also clean, gym shoes tied through the handle and zipper clasp.
Combined with a few other tricks up myu sleeve, even if I need to get away in a hurry I should be able to pull it off on the run without looking too suspicious.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts