One decade later...
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that is all I needed to know, now when I turn 18 will I be able to

carry? Or do you have to be 21?

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
In a word, No. You have to wait until you are at least 18 to carry openly...

See LexisNexis < http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp >

look under:

Title 16, Chapt 11, Article 4, Part 3, § 16-11-132. Possession of pistol or revolver by person under the age of 18 years

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-132

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2008 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2008 Regular Session ***

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-132 (2008)

§ 16-11-132. Possession of pistol or revolver by person under the age of 18 years

(a)(1) For the purposes of this Code section, the term "pistol" or "revolver" means a firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged where the length of the barrel, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed 12 inches; provided, however, that the term pistol or revolver shall not include a gun which discharges shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter.

(2) For the purposes of this Code section, a pistol or revolver is considered loaded if:

(A) There is a cartridge in the chamber or cylinder of the pistol or revolver;

(B) The person is carrying on his or her body or attached to his or her clothing the pistol or revolver and the ammunition for such pistol or revolver; or

(C) The pistol or revolver and the ammunition for such pistol or revolver are in such close proximity to such person that such person could readily gain access to the pistol or revolver and the ammunition and load the pistol or revolver.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this part and except as otherwise provided in this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 18 years to possess or have under such person's control a pistol or revolver. A person convicted of a first violation of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $1,000.00 or by imprisonment for not more than 12 months, or both. A person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of this subsection shall be guilty of a felony and shall be punished by a fine of $5,000.00 or by imprisonment for a period of three years, or both.

(c) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (d) of this Code section, the provisions of subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply

(1) Any person under the age of 18 years who is:

(A) Attending a hunter education course or a firearms safety course;

(B) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction where such range is located;

(C) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under 26 U.S.C. Section 501(c)(3) which uses firearms as a part of such performance;

(D) Hunting or fishing pursuant to a valid license if such person has in his or her possession such a valid hunting or fishing license if required; is engaged in legal hunting or fishing; has permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; and the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, is carried only in an open and fully exposed manner; or

(E) Traveling to or from any activity described in subparagraphs (A) through (D) of this paragraph if the pistol or revolver in such person's possession is not loaded;

(2) Any person under the age of 18 years who is on real property under the control of such person's parent, legal guardian, or grandparent and who has the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian to possess a pistol or revolver; or

(3) Any person under the age of 18 years who is at such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a pistol or revolver for the purpose of exercising the rights authorized in Code Section 16-3-21 or 16-3-23.

(d) Subsection (c) of this Code section shall not apply to any person under the age of 18 years who has been convicted of a forcible felony or forcible misdemeanor, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, or who has been adjudicated delinquent under the provisions of Article 1 of Chapter 11 of Title 15 for an offense which would constitute a forcible felony or forcible misdemeanor, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, if such person were an adult.

HISTORY: Code 1981, § 16-11-132, enacted by Ga. L. 1994, p. 1012, § 12; Ga. L. 2000, p. 1630, § 6.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It is your right to keep and bear arms and it shall not be infringed, here is a quote from a great man.

Thomas Jefferson's advice to his 15 year-old nephew:

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

This is how the Founding Fathers felt about guns.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was a 15 year old boy once...and I stayed in fights with other kids. Many of them were 'innocent' in that after we beat each other as long as we could stand it we shook hands and were friends again. But during the fights there is way too much adrenaline flowing for a 15 yo to make good decisions. If you are carrying a pistol everywhere with you at that age, and around other kids that age, you are begging for disaster.

There is a time and a place for 15 year olds to carry pistols, and its in the woods, at the range, or at your house if your parents allow it. If TSHTF the rules change.

Curiosity, does your dad know you intend to carry?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was a 15 year old boy once...and I stayed in fights with other kids. Many of them were 'innocent' in that after we beat each other as long as we could stand it we shook hands and were friends again. But during the fights there is way too much adrenaline flowing for a 15 yo to make good decisions. If you are carrying a pistol everywhere with you at that age, and around other kids that age, you are begging for disaster.

There is a time and a place for 15 year olds to carry pistols, and its in the woods, at the range, or at your house if your parents allow it. If TSHTF the rules change.

You can operate a car at 15, it is a very deadly projectile. I guess I just don't see the correlation.

I drive for a living having 3 loaded and chambered guns in my truck, never do I even consider pulling one out and shooting another driver although I do get pissed about people who can't drive.

I don't think having a gun on your hip makes you more inclined to shoot someone.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Check local laws. You cna often carry in the woods (Open carry) But you need a note from your parents (No I am not joking)

Like I said, check local laws, and this is NOT 'open carry walking down a road'
type thing.

-May be able to have a pistol in your car... again... WITH writen permission.

CHECK LOCAL LAWS.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Doesnt matter if he has a permit or not to carry a pistol, the CARRIER needs the permit. So if you do not have one, then you cannot.

But like other people said, check your local laws. There shouldnt a problem with you shooting in the woods or at a range, but carrying a pistol at 15 isnt logical no matter the situation, with one exception. If SHTF, then any goes, per say.

·
Cranky old man
123 Posts
Why?

Hi,

I'd very much like to know why you think you need to carry? What threat are you anticipating?

At this time in your life carrying a pistol will get you into much more trouble than it will ever get you out of.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It is your right to keep and bear arms and it shall not be infringed, here is a quote from a great man.

Thomas Jefferson's advice to his 15 year-old nephew:

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

This is how the Founding Fathers felt about guns.
I agree, but following such a belief landed me in jail overnight and could have been much longer. In there on a weapons charge and false drug charges. I was of legal age to own, but my state did not approve of concealed carry at that time.
Thank God for crooked cops who falsely tacked drugs on me and a powerful lawyer on my side. I was cleared of everything and have a spotless record, but I learned a lesson. That lesson is this: until you are ready to die for your rights, don't excersize them. The right to keep and bear arms wasn't the only one violated that night. The last revolution was fought by more than one patriot. How many patriots do we have today?
If I would have come up shooting in defence of my right to keep and bear arms, it would have never hit the news, or it would have been twisted by the media as some nut losing it and shooting it out with the cops. Its going to take a lot of us working together for any change to occur. That is why I tell my story to almost everyone I get to know. If enough people realize how corrupt our system is and that it can affect one of their friends, possibly themselves, eventually we can get something done.
Sad to say, many people who are for ownership of guns do not share my view of the right to keep and bear arms. To each his own, but the more you give up in technicalities, the more you give road to them taking everything.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can operate a car at 15, it is a very deadly projectile. I guess I just don't see the correlation.

I drive for a living having 3 loaded and chambered guns in my truck, never do I even consider pulling one out and shooting another driver although I do get pissed about people who can't drive.

I don't think having a gun on your hip makes you more inclined to shoot someone.
Probably not for a mature adult, but for a 15 year old kid? Maybe children are less hot-headed these days than I was at that age. Should a 10 year old be able to carry at the mall?

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

yes, we talked about it, and he would want me to carry if it was legal at my age, but of course not to school. He as a matter of fact is going to get his license to conceal carry tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts