Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking at Saiga rifles (.223, 5.45 and 7.62) and and know pretty much know all the pros and cons of each. However, I'm very undecided in which caliber to purchase.

Out of the three, 5.45 and .223 are the two I cant decide between. I almost want to choose the 5.45 due to cheap mags and ammo prices. IIRC, you can buy 5.45 for $260 for 2160 rounds, when it costs twice that for .223. But with the an AR mag adapter and a variety of ammo choices (including non corrosive), the .223 becomes very versitile.

I will mostly use the rifle for plinking and possibly hunting coyotes.

So the question is, why did you choose the caliber you currently have. I would like to hear your own personal reasons.

·
Eh kay vs eh are dood!
3,304 Posts
If I were you I would get the 5.45, and stock up on ammo. You can buy new production ammo for plinking and what not so you aren't having to deal with the hassle of shooting corrosive ammo. Save the surplus ammo for SHTF.

·
Registered
5 Posts
+1 , also don't forget the 7.62 packs a kick compared to the smaller calibers so if you have any younger adults or woman who may be shootin' the larger caliber weapon may be intimidating. My 2 cents:):)

·
skogbeskytter
911 Posts
Starting Fresh, Either 5.45 or 7.62 will serve you well. Stack Very Deep esp 5.45

Lower recoil , slightly better accuracy vs greater concealment/cover penetration.

·
Registered
283 Posts
+1 , also don't forget the 7.62 packs a kick compared to the smaller calibers so if you have any younger adults or woman who may be shootin' the larger caliber weapon may be intimidating. My 2 cents:):)
My Saiga 308 (much heavier) delivers less sting than my WASR..

My 5'2" wife will burn 308 rounds at the range until I chase her off the bench!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm liking the Saiga in .308. When they say you need to get it "converted", what exactly is involved other than modifying the mag well to accept all AK mags?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I Love My .308 Saiga AK

Personal choice. Sometimes you need a bigger gun. My .308 Saiga has a soft recoil, but is very noisy. 16.3" bbl. I converted it my way. Shoots inside 2" @ 100 yds. Zero stoppages. 25 round mags. 4 rd. hunting mags. All 922r rules apply. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
You can locally get .223 ammo and reloading supplies for them. That beats having trouble getting 5.45 if things break down.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm liking the Saiga in .308. When they say you need to get it "converted", what exactly is involved other than modifying the mag well to accept all AK mags?
The 308 won't take standard AK mags.. wrong caliber..

The "conversion" is moving the trigger group back forward. The stock configuration from Saiga has it back for a hunting style stock..

THEN adding standard AK stock, grips etc.. VERY SEXY!..

NO LONGER CHEAP THOUGH.. I wouldn't take less than $800 for mine.. IF I wanted to get rid of it.. I DO NOT!

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
but you CAN get a G3 adapter so you can use the cheap and plentiful H&K mags. There is also a .223/5.56 adapter that lets you run standard STANAG mags

·
Registered
58 Posts
but you CAN get a G3 adapter so you can use the cheap and plentiful H&K mags.
You may want to look into that again. I don't think any ever came out.
I think its just an unsolvable problem. The trunnion is to small, and cutting it out is probably a bad idea.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts

thats impossable 7.62 x 39 is the AK round, the 308 is 7.62x51 a much larger cartridge so you cant use 308 rounds in an AK mag. or the AK mag in a saiga 308

they do not have to be converted to use. they are just fine as is but if you get one of the 16" with a skeleton stocks they do have ALOT of recoil. if you convert it to a pistol grip you can get one of these http://www.nokick.com/AK_47_Collapsible_Stock_Kit_w_Shock_Absorber_p/mako%20sbt-k47fk.htm they will reduce the recoil to less than what an AK's recoil is :thumb: but you still need to get a muzzle break to keep the muzzle down while fireing it. like this one http://centerfiresystems.com/sai-com-308.aspx

here is how to convert it http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/
if i was to get a saiga the 308 is the one i would get for the main reason is its a better caliber and its more rare of a weapon there isnt that many AK's shooting 308 :thumb:

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
I would go Saiga .223, You can use Galil magazines without much modification. Also they make an adapter to use cheap AR magazines.

.223 can be bought at wally world. 5.45 cannot. Unless it's a wally world in russia.

If I was going to buy another Saiga to convert it would be a .223 then a .308.

Conversion is easy. Just follow directions well and you wont have any issues.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
NO LONGER CHEAP THOUGH.. I wouldn't take less than $800 for mine..
I hear you on that, every time I take my 308 long barrel to the range I get at least 3 offers to buy it. Highest offer was $1000.....as hard as they are to find I held off on cutting the barrel back to 18"

You can get the short barrel 308 for just under $500

If I wanted to shoot 223 id just get an AR the mechanics of the AK just are not set up for high accuracy.

Id go with 7.62 just for cost of ammo and mags

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
thats impossable 7.62 x 39 is the AK round, the 308 is 7.62x51 a much larger cartridge so you cant use 308 rounds in an AK mag. or the AK mag in a saiga 308

they do not have to be converted to use. they are just fine as is but if you get one of the 16" with a skeleton stocks they do have ALOT of recoil. if you convert it to a pistol grip you can get one of these
if i was to get a saiga the 308 is the one i would get for the main reason is its a better caliber and its more rare of a weapon there isnt that many AK's shooting 308 :thumb:
Sorry, I meant to type accept other mags. Somewhere there was mention that the .308's only take 2 mags and part of one conversion was to the mag well to enable some other manufacturers hi-cap 30's. My misstatement, thanks for correction.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
I hear you on that, every time I take my 308 long barrel to the range I get at least 3 offers to buy it. Highest offer was $1000.....as hard as they are to find I held off on cutting the barrel back to 18"

You can get the short barrel 308 for just under $500

If I wanted to shoot 223 id just get an AR the mechanics of the AK just are not set up for high accuracy.

Id go with 7.62 just for cost of ammo and mags
Well that's kind of a bold statement. I mean If I wanted to shoot .308 I'd get an AR-10. LOL.

Seriously, Many of the .223 saigas I've seen aren't that far off in the accurate department. Most shooters will get 4 to 5 moa. Even with an AR. If you learn to shoot better. You can get around 2-3. If you shoot better than that you need to be in competitions.

If I was going to really get a .308 rifle it'd be a saiga or a PTR91 GI. As for a .223 It will shoot accurately enough. Plus ammunition can be found for $3 a box. Its a good plinking round. And you can hunt with it. and in a shtf situation you can probably pick the stuff up off the ground. Seeing as everyone owns an ar now.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts