Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im an open faced spinning medium action rod kinda guy heh heh

The wife has expressed interest in fishing and Id like to get her a setup - figured we both could grab an UL combo and have some small fishy fun

What companies and then, more specifically, models do you suggest we pick up for a rod/reel combo?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I originally got a Uglystick Shakespere ultra light combo for 29.99 from wally world. The reel worked out just fine but I found the rod to be quiet lacking. It cast light lures well but lacked enough back bone in the rod to turn and control a fish allowing it to bascially have its way with me at will. I went through about 3 more rods trying to find a good balance of power with a fast action tip that would allow me to make the most of the 4 lbs test line I use.

I eventually ended up with the following combination. The reel is a Shakepere 2500. It holds about 100 yards of 4 lbs test line. Its spooled with Bass Pro 4 lbs test Premium series line, its been far better than any other brand I have tried. The rod is a Abu Gracia Conolon Premier CPS562L 2 piece 5 ft 6 inch light action rod that ran in the high 40's price wise. It a great rod with plenty of back bone to turn a 2-6 pound bass and put the hurting on 'em but has a fast enough tip to make throwing even 1/8th ounce lures in a wind very doable.

This has been a bruatally effective combo for me. In fact I rarely use my Baitcasters anymore these days. This has to be the ultimate slab Crappie or Sandbass getter. It does a great job on LMB, has landed more than a few bragging size Hybrids and Catfish that were acidental side catches. Its best used with lures in the 1/8th to 3/16th of an ounce (7-11 grams). 1/16th ounce lures are a tad bit light for optimal casting and 1/4 ounce is a bit on the heavy side of things but still workable.

If your looking for a Ultra light Combo in my opinion this is it for the money forked out!

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks both of you for your thoughts - looking to gather a few more from a few more and then Ill see what I can set up

·
Spectre
595 Posts
I picked up an uglystick combo awhile back ago, ended up giving the reel away (1 ball bearing shakespeare :( ) I choose it solely based on warranty, I have heard good and bad about uglystick. I figure if it holds up to the abuse I put my gear through it has to be pretty good.
I switched to a abu garcia (corsair or cavair cant recall the model off the top of my head). Much nicer of a setup, I think the abu is 5 or 6 ball bearing and casts wayyyy better.
I use it mainly for crappie and sunfish but I took it carp fishing last year and had a blast.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I can't stand Uglysticks. Especially for ultralights which require a rod with much more "snap" to get those light lures to fly. The good thing about the uglystick though is that it will last even if you abuse them.

You probably aren't looking to spend hundreds or anything, so I say go with any Store Brand from Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro shops etc. They have good value and good product. For a quality and good value reel, Pfleuger President 6720 (UL model) for about 50$ Sometimes you can get a Pfluger ultralight combo with the President reel for about 70$. Look for good sales. These rods are built more for affordable performance.

If you want a "once and a while rod" though... any 20$ combo will last fine at the stores. Just make sure it has a good "snap" to it when you try it out. That energy transfer is what gets the light-weight lures out there.

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
snap and durability is what im lookin for - ill head to Cabelas today and see what I can see - thanks guys!

·
Pencil 5, AUTOCAD 0
3,660 Posts
Ugly Sticks Rock

I guess I'm just lucky, or I have the older stuff before they went chinese, but a 5' 9" ugly with a Abu Garcia reel has served me well for over twenty years By the way, ultralights are much better for ice fishing, They have better sensitivity and you get a better hookset

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
The ugly stick combo should work, but remember to get the cheapest outfit you can. Once she has to bait her own hook, or handle fish she'll strangely lose interest in fishing.

On the other hand this might be an easy way to get a second rod and reel set up for yourself so buying a couple hundred dollar rig on the chance she won't actually want to fish could work to your benefit.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
i picked up some 4'6" ugly sticks - just looking for 2 reels now
Ohhh one other tip. Spring for the Good line. You want a line with very little memory like a braided line or co-polymer. Stay away from pure fluorocarbon or mono-filament. Hybrid lines are great. I like yo-zuri ultra soft hybrid brand line.

When going UL, the thinner line tends to spring out a lot and causes nests for a beginner. The right line can really make the fishing more fun for a beginner. Maybe 5lb test or under.

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ugly stick combo should work, but remember to get the cheapest outfit you can. Once she has to bait her own hook, or handle fish she'll strangely lose interest in fishing.

On the other hand this might be an easy way to get a second rod and reel set up for yourself so buying a couple hundred dollar rig on the chance she won't actually want to fish could work to your benefit.

sorry metalhead - this one baits her own hook just fine :)

thanks vic - i have been meaning to come out of my shell and try different lines

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,422 Posts
I've tried some cheap UL rods and I still have a UL Ugly stick. I don't use them much anymore.

I bought a St Croix ML avid spinning rod especially for trolling lindy rigs. I mounted an Okuma bait feeder style spinning reel and wound it with 4 lb trilene and 8 lb spider wire.

I like the combo so much I've pretty much retired my other light wt rigs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought a "Browning" ultra light-combo at Bass Pro. One of the best purchases I made over the past 3 seasons. Caught a few fish on it, that really tested the strength of the rod and I was impressed.

·
Spectre
595 Posts
i picked up some 4'6" ugly sticks - just looking for 2 reels now
Good buy they are pretty dependable rods. A lil stiff at first but now on there 2nd season it seems to have loosened up a bit and has good response to light strikes.
I bought a abu garcia cardinal 100ui reel for it and I am loving the combo. I run the northland camo walleye line 4lb test and it has changed my crappie fishing game big time. When I go fishing with my buddies family that is the rod I let the kids use because I really dont have to worry a whole lot about them destroying it :).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts