Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I process a decent amount of brass but I can never get the inside as clean as I'd like them to be. I was looking into Hornady's Lock N' Load Sonic Cleaner and for 200-300 bucks I said no way at that price there has to be a cheaper way.

I found Ultrasonic jewelry and metal cleaners from 35 bucks to tens of thousands. Now, are these the same as Hornady's and I'm just pretty much buying a brand???? They look the same. Seem to do the same thing. I could just put brass cleaning solution in, or metal cleaner. I could use the bigger ones for firearms as well I suppose? Anyone have info on these

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I work PR and marketing for consumer products. I don't know about this specific device... but I can say I see this all the time... same innards but marketed towards a different category at a greatly inflated rate.

Go look a generic Benydryl and generic Sominex. The sleeping pill sells for more than twice the price of the allergy med. Funny part is they both contain diphenhydramine... exact same ingredient... but the sleep med usually only contains half the amount of pills... so in reality you are actually paying four times the amount for the otc sleeping pills.

This is across the board in many product categories.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you really want some nice looking brass...look no further than stainless media...it's expensive, but the brass looks awesome. I don't worry about what my brass looks like...as long as the brass is serviceable. Google stainless media and you will be happy...guys on the hide love stainless media.

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you really want some nice looking brass...look no further than stainless media...it's expensive, but the brass looks awesome. I don't worry about what my brass looks like...as long as the brass is serviceable. Google stainless media and you will be happy...guys on the hide love stainless media.
I'm going to look into this.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
Ultrasonic is ultrasonic, just question of size. I've cleaned diamond jewelry in a jewler's $600 little machine, and with my Sonicare toothbrush in a glass of water. Normally my brass is stuff I've fired, and clean enough with just tumbling. I have at times boiled dirty cases for a few minutes in various cleaning solutions and dried before tumbling, which is simple, cheap, works quite well. Don't know how clean you require or what quantity you do, but overnite in a tumbler made from an old converted ice cream maker, using ground walnut shell snake litter from the pet store and a bit of auto polish works fine for me on a few hundred cases or less. Either way, reloading is the way to go, good luck...

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy toledo that stainless media is expensive. 300+ for 10lbs. I think I'll try the boiling method mentioned above, I can do that at home now. I got the tumbler and I have corn media. It's okay for the outside but I want liquid to get the inside, the reason for the liquid stuff. Thanks for all the info and tips people.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
Yeah, I'm kind of low tech, bringing to a boil, then turning off seems to be plenty. A cup of vinegar and pinch of dishwasher detergent seemed to work well. Google it. Rinse twice in hot water and put in oven on a tray at 160 for 30 minutes. Get some walnut if you want more abrasive media. For my own use usually I don't even bother to tumble it. I don't care if it's shiny or not...

·
space samurai
455 Posts
the first place i looked was 50ish for 5 lb.

but, you never have to replace it.

what turns me off, 250 bucks for a tumbler that will only hold 70 cases fully loaded.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
You can get the first Hornady model for now around $89.99 The new for 2011 is the Ultra and it is $250 to 275ish... They both work great I have both

1 - 14 of 14 Posts