Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Fringe Element
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.retronaut.co/2011/04/cold-war-city/

I could get lost in there "Exploring" and never come out.

I doubt if 120 feet below ground is enough to survive a direct hit from a 1
megaton ground burst, though... and you can be sure the Russians knew
*exactly* where that thing was, and had it multiply targeted, what with
Kim Philby and his fruity friends moled up in the British intelligence
establishment all that time.

What do you want to bet it will get used eventually? (They ought to just
sell all that antique stuff before it gets "Raided"...)

Or maybe some promoter could buy it and use it for "Underground" Music
Concerts!! BwAAAAAhahahaaaaa... (I'm SO clever.)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Most of the stuff you see in those photos is museum quality. The old cross bar switches for the phones and the cord board systems hearken back to a time much earlier. If you check you will probably find that most of this is now removed or it is locked down. The bunker under the Greenbriar in WV is more of museum now that a real bunker from the 60s.

In Dallas the old Civil Defense HQ was under an office tower just north of downtown on Central Expressway. Unless you know what you are looking for you would not recognize it today. The one in Atlanta was under a KMart and a bowling alley.

·
Indefatigable
20,548 Posts
I have the singer sewing machine but I would love to have that oven - and a couple of those swivel chairs would be nice too :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
That's cool,but would think since the cold war lasted through the 80's it would have been upgraded along the way. Most of us think about the silos being in fields through rural American but I am sure there's many places like that and the missile silos in all the larger city's all across American .

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
I wonder why one of the big bucks guys over there hasn't put this place on his buy list. I would love to have a place like that. All that neat old stuff would fit right in with our lifestyle.

Red

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
There were so many things in there that I didn't even recognize and I'm usually pretty up on things from that era. It was an amazing journey looking through all the pics!

·
Fringe Element
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's cool,but would think since the cold war lasted through the 80's it would have been upgraded along the way.
*That* is one of the things that I found really mystifying about the place.
After putting all that effort into it, they just let it turn into a museum piece.

I suspect it was for the reasons I mentioned in the post... their cover got
blown, and they realized it was vulnerable to thermonuclear attack.

I really liked the rail spur that was supposedly going to allow the Royal Family
to escape...

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
That's cool,but would think since the cold war lasted through the 80's it would have been upgraded along the way. Most of us think about the silos being in fields through rural American but I am sure there's many places like that and the missile silos in all the larger city's all across American .
They wouldn't spend the money, although some secret ones might of been dug...
The last of the food catches (for the public in case of civil disaster) were scrapped / destroyed by Tony Blair in the 1990s in favour of 'just-in-time-supply's' by truck...

·
10,548 Posts
Wow! How cool is that? They could film a really cool Movie there. I love the 50s Styling. It reminded me of the Video Game "Bioshock". Badass!:thumb:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Its pretty cool and for you guys that are close to WV check out greenbrier.com under greenbrier click on the bunker. They have a bunker built underneath the hotel thats pretty awesome. I went there when I was stationed in VA. They give 90 min tours.

·
Fringe Element
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
120' below the surface would be plenty for a direct hit. http://www.bomb-shelter.net/pop.php
I don't think so... the largest of the American H-bomb tests left a crater
300 feet deep. Even one which didn't crater to 100 feet would probably
produce a shock wave that would crush any sort of structure in the earth
underneath it.

(couldn't make the link work BTW)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts