Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to make of this new treaty between France and England? More bs or something different? Wonder what the EU thinks of it.

"Officials said the unprecedented British-French defence and security co-operation treaty would be a decades-long commitment. As well as synchronising aircraft carrier deployments, it will pave the way to a "combined joint expeditionary force" at brigade level under a British or French commander.

The joint force would consist of troops already in each country's national armies and would only come together in the event of a crisis or emergency. Any decision to deploy the force would be taken jointly by the two governments, which would have "political control" over it, officials said."

"The two countries' arms industries will co-operate on developing unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), and high-tech missiles as well as other weapons systems."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/nov/02/britain-france-defence-cooperation

·
Pantomime Villain
3,969 Posts
I can see that whenever there needs to be some fighting done British troops will be pushed to the front whilst Europeans take one step backward. Furthermore, if the Argies should kick up over the Falklands again and Britain needs to send troops there (or anywhere, for that matter, over our own affairs) I can see our 'partners' ordering us not to go. I'm not sure why we're supposed to think that lashing some of the best trained soldiers in the world to a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys should be considered 'a good idea'.

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. Last time England teamed up with the French it was against ze Germans. Wonder is there a power shift goin on in the EU, and if so - why bother?

Germans gonna be at it again..? Maybe France wants out of the Euro economic trainwreck asap.
As long as they dont send French troops over to patrol ya during shtf and vice versa.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Britain is skint (and still continues to pour billions into fighting in afganistan) and france is not far behind financially.

So combine resources on a money sucking black hole that is defence and hopefully save a few quid to spend on welfare payments to those that need them more than frontline service men and women who risk their lives daily.

But seriously, this is all about the ConDems trying to save money any and every way they can, which includes selling out the very people that protect the british isles.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
It does make a sort of sense, Britain and France share very close strategic interests. If there is more cooperation outside the remit of the EUSSR then it could be for both our benefits.

Of course, it could just be an excuse for crippling cuts to national defence and the eventual diminuation of our nation into a province of Europe.

·
Hello
318 Posts
We invade France ?? Why ? :eek:
Cheese/wine? an okay car industry?

I don't really see the issue with working with them, it means we can still carry out R&D and it saves money in a lot of areas. We have subs to deal with the argies, plus we have aircraft in the area.

The future is high tech and its arguable if the currant wars are keeping anyone safe. Wars should be kept small and secret and where possible infighting and neighbouring countries pushed to fight each other. Just let them kill each other. I like the way the CIA do things, I think we should follow their lead.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
actually the last tim we teamed up was in the suez canal crisis where we worked together very well
I suggest you check your history books to see how much of a debacle and clusterfck the outcome of that was.
The USA was on the verge of bankrupting Britain and the island was humiliated on the world-stage.
The UK and France working together hasn't worked since the Romans invaded!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I suggest you check your history books to see how much of a debacle and clusterfck the outcome of that was.
The USA was on the verge of bankrupting Britain and the island was humiliated on the world-stage.
The UK and France working together hasn't worked since the Romans invaded!
Well you might both be right...

"The operation, aimed at taking control of the Suez Canal, Gaza, and parts of Sinai, was highly successful for the invaders from a military point of view, but was a disaster from a political point of view"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.