Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I had posted this question already but can't it. I see a lot of used propane bottles for sale of various sizes and various degrees of cleanness. Some just have a few smudges whereas some have rust on a significant part of the surface. How much is too much? how would you rate this one?
Cylinder Gas Plant Metal Terrestrial plant

Registered
Mammal Tree Gas Grass Cone

This is a bit much... but what you should be checking is the age of the tank.
After 12 years, they can't be refilled no matter how attractive they may appear. 馃惙
Personally, I would avoid any with any significant rust, just because it's work to refinish them.

ICBM Warrior
View attachment 482812
This is a bit much... but what you should be checking is the age of the tank.
After 12 years, they can't be refilled no matter how attractive they may appear.
Personally, I would avoid any with any significant rust, just because it's work to refinish them.
I'd add, you can get them refilled if you get them recertified. Then it's usually every 5 years after that.

Registered
Assuming the OPs tank is less than 12 years old or has recently been recertified Id pass because of the rust line in the center where the 2 halves were joined.

Did you know than most propane companies will rent you a 250 gallon tank for about $55 a year?

Don't tell them you want to rent a tank. They want you sell you propane and will let you use the tank for free if you refill it 1 1/2 times a year. Instead I got a tank larger than I needed and pay the $55 a year as a way to store extra fuel.

Registered
Did you know than most propane companies will rent you a 250 gallon tank for about $55 a year?

Don't tell them you want to rent a tank. They want you sell you propane and will let you use the tank for free if you refill it 1 1/2 times a year. Instead I got a tank larger than I needed and pay the $55 a year as a way to store extra fuel.
Similar to what I do, but I switched to a different propane company right after they had filled their tank and didn't tell the the first company that I had switched. Now have two 500 gallon tanks each from a different company, one in use that we meet the minimum on avoiding a rental charge, and a full + disconnected one we get charged a rental fee on. 400 extra gallons of propane for emergencies and that only takes about 5 minutes to switch over to the other tank if needed.

Registered
Cocked, locked, ready to rock.
I thought I had posted this question already but can't it. I see a lot of used propane bottles for sale of various sizes and various degrees of cleanness. Some just have a few smudges whereas some have rust on a significant part of the surface. How much is too much? how would you rate this one? View attachment 482813
Looks 100% better than the ones on my camper. I vote paint job.

Registered
EDC, GHB, and loads of chocolate!
Propane tanks make two things.
Very good heating stoves and very effective BOOM's!
Using the most basic of materials.
So there's two things to do with cylinders.

Registered
Before buying any I鈥檇 have them tested.

Not sure if it鈥檚 state specific, but here if tank looks too bad they won鈥檛 fill them without being tested.
The smaller the tank the more apt to have issues.
Large tanks, 100+ gallon, can be refurbished as long as not rusted out.

Registered
They make good BBQ grills too.

Far better than the usual oil barrel type, though heavier. Which is usually a good thing, it welds easier to attach handles and hinges and such, and heats better.
I saw a YouTube video where they turned one into Darth Vader As a grill. It was awesome. I really need to learn welding and metal working.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your posts were very informational. Given the almost indefinite shelf life of propane, I have always wondered by more people did not prep it. I think the life cycle of the cylinders is the reason why.

Registered
I thought I had posted this question already but can't it. I see a lot of used propane bottles for sale of various sizes and various degrees of cleanness. Some just have a few smudges whereas some have rust on a significant part of the surface. How much is too much? how would you rate this one? View attachment 482813
Id have no problem with that cylinder if it has current, or recently expired hydro. If hydro date was 30 years ago, I鈥檇 look elsewhere

Registered
I discussed that possibility with 2 other propane companies in the area. If the tank is marked as "property of XYZ" the other companies will not fill the tank.
that normal here too. But the poster rented one tank from company 1, then got a second tank from company 2 which doesn鈥檛 charge him as long as he uses enough.

You can also just buy or rent a bigger tank. 1000 gallon tanks are easy to get.

Registered
A little paint every few years does wonders.

Reactions: Desertprep
1 - 19 of 19 Posts