Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem with mythological systems like Christianity is as soon as you start believing in supernatural phenomena and magical holy books, you're on a very slippery slope. Consider Uganda, upheld by prominent Christians like Rick Warren as a future model nation. However, now the Ugandans have taken up the Christian message of hate to such an extreme that they're passing a "kill the gays" bill inspired by the anti-homosexual rhetoric of American pastors. Can you blame them? They're just following the magical Bible book. What would happen if the United States were led by a Christian theocracy? I shudder to think.

Also consider what happens when you believe some zygote is a "soul" endowed by a supernatural god myth with holy rights. Well, you'd be more than willing to give your life to bomb ******** clinics or shoot ******** doctors in their place of worship. (Rick Warren calls the ******** throughout the world to be a "holocaust".)

If the United States were under occupation, I would wager it would be the fundies who would be blowing themselves up in the name of Allah ... err Jesus.

When you decide to give up on reality and surrender yourself to supernaturalism, mythology, and magic -- you are dangerous to freedom and liberty. :(

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
The problem with mythological systems like evolution is as soon as you start believing in supernatural phenomena and magical holy books, you're on a very slippery slope. Consider Uganda, upheld by prominent evolutionists as close to ground zero for the appearance of man. However, now the Ugandans have taken evolutionists message of 'its all about me' to such an extreme that they're passing a "kill the gays" bill inspired by the anti-homosexual behavior of NATURAL SELECTION. Can you blame them? They're just following the magical evolution book. What would happen if the United States were led by an evolutionist theocracy? We are living the results.

Also consider what happens when you believe some "soul" is just another animal un-endowed by a supreme being with holy rights. Well, you'd be more than willing to give your life to annihilate others or shoot Christians in their place of worship. (Richard Dawkins calls Last Call throughout the world a "holocaust".)

If the United States were under occupation, I would wager it would be the fundies who would be blowing themselves up in the name of Allah ... err Darwin.

When you decide to give up on reality and surrender yourself to supernaturalism, mythology, and magic -- you are dangerous to freedom and liberty. :(

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
[Bquote=jeff92;1132176]America used to be heavily influenced by Christianity. Not the abortionist killing types, but conservative men who followed the Bible. It was fine back then. Many of our problems we have today came about when God was taken out of the equation.[/quote]

And he keeps getting removed a little more at a time which equals - more and more problems. Some folks just don't get it.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
I'm really getting tired of the Christian bashing here.

Funny, I don't see the same volume of nastiness against Muslims or Jews or other groups.

Other than to bash Christianity, whats your point of the thread? Is there a question there somewhere?

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
I'm really getting tired of the Christian bashing here.

Funny, I don't see the same volume of nastiness against Muslims or Jews or other groups.
Hate to say that everything seems to be the fault of my two favorite groups, Christians and Americans on these boards. Guess the bright side is everything else in the world is perfect.

936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Muslim bashing is just as warranted as the Christian bashing. They're both absurd mythological systems that should be been buried in the middle east long ago.

Of course, we all have the freedom here to believe most any damn fool thing we want. If you want to believe in magical God men who walk on water and raise from the dead, that's your prerogative. Even if there ain't a shred of evidence and all the Jesus myths and magical acts were torn from pagan myths common at the time.

People are liable to believe anything. :rolleyes:

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
When I was a teenager, I did a lot of research on "religion." I got so in depth that I became an atheist for many years. Then I became an agnostic simply because I knew there was something much larger than me out there. In my quest for knowledge, I read many religious texts. However, for this topic will stick with the Bible (which I read 13 times) since that is what you are attacking.

The problem with mythological systems like Christianity is as soon as you start believing in supernatural phenomena and magical holy books, you're on a very slippery slope. Consider Uganda, upheld by prominent Christians like Rick Warren as a future model nation. However, now the Ugandans have taken up the Christian message of hate to such an extreme that they're passing a "kill the gays" bill inspired by the anti-homosexual rhetoric of American pastors. Can you blame them? They're just following the magical Bible book. What would happen if the United States were led by a Christian theocracy? I shudder to think.
The book upon which Christianity is founded is not the problem. The problem is the people reading it. I am personally surrounded by people who call themselves Christians, but have yet to read the Bible or study the religion they adhere to. They follow blindly - usually worse than sheep. They also tend to believe, without question, whatever their pastor or church tells them.

The problem is that one is only supposed to have Blind Faith to God, not to their pastors or church. More problems arise when fallible men take on the roll of interpreting the Bible for the blind, who have no cause or pause to question. This is what leads supposedly Christian people to do stupid things, like promote and/or support "kill all the gays" bills.

The Bible is quite clear on how to handle unGodly behavior - let God deal with it.

Also consider what happens when you believe some zygote is a "soul" endowed by a supernatural god myth with holy rights. Well, you'd be more than willing to give your life to bomb ******** clinics or shoot ******** doctors in their place of worship. (Rick Warren calls the ******** throughout the world to be a "holocaust".)
Again, the Bible plainly describes what you are to do in this situation as well. The Bible clearly warns of false prophets and how one should respond. As for those who "murder" the Bible again is clear on how to handle this - let God deal with it.

If the United States were under occupation, I would wager it would be the fundies who would be blowing themselves up in the name of Allah ... err Jesus.
You're really ****ed up!

Agreed. Too many false prophets, money grubbing churches and institutions, and too many sheep following fallible man have reduced the teachings of God to belief in supernaturalism, mythology, and magic. Christians need to wake up to the deceit that is in many of the churches today.

The house of God is within each of us, not in the church or contained in the words and actions of a false prophet.

·
Registered
74 Posts

What message of hate are you talking about when it comes to Christ? It's not Christ, it's men that mess up Christ's message and pervert it for their own benefit. If you look at the teachings of Christ, he never said to kill anyone. As a matter of fact, the opposite is true. He taught that there is no greater love than to give your life for your brother.

what happened in Uganda has nothing to do with Christ or His teachings. It has to do with men, their sin, and their hate. Period.

As far as ********, if 42 million people were killed every year, would you consider that a holocaust? Of course. The only difference is your belief of when a human life is a human life. Some say it's a life from conception. Some say that it isn't a life until it's born. If you look at things like cravings in a pregnant woman, obviously, the baby has some wants and desires by that point.

Personally, I'm not here to argue my beliefs or make you believe what I believe. I don't think that could be done either way in this conversation. My point is that all religions are spoken for by imperfect men who screw up. What I don't like is that the world forgets that. Someone says they're a Christian and the world expects them to be perfect and without flaw. It doesn't happen. No man is perfect. What if someone put that expectation on you, to be perfect morally? To not ever slip. That's a lot of pressure.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I agree with the OP to the extent that if any religion is followed without temperance, well look at the middle east.

I don't agree with the part about Magic. Look around you. Life is magical. Magic is not a religion, it's a practice. You can have religion with or without magic, and magic with or without religion.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The latest failures of radical American Christian clerics in Uganda is a major global story in both the small and big presses with important ramifications. I think it is discussion-worthy. If you don't, I recommend avoiding this thread.
Why is this such a big story with important ramifications? If it was a success, it wouldn't be. So, with the opposite side of the coin showing, why is this such an important thing?

It seems to me that your issues with Christianity is what needs to be discussed. Uganda is just an excuse for you to vent those issues.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Muslim bashing is just as warranted as the Christian bashing. They're both absurd mythological systems that should be been buried in the middle east long ago.

Of course, we all have the freedom here to believe most any damn fool thing we want. If you want to believe in magical God men who walk on water and raise from the dead, that's your prerogative. Even if there ain't a shred of evidence and all the Jesus myths and magical acts were torn from pagan myths common at the time.

People are liable to believe anything. :rolleyes:
Oh look FX agrees with you....what an endorsement. :thumb:

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,850 Posts
Other than to bash Christianity, whats your point of the thread? Is there a question there somewhere?
Same question applies to your thread about homosexuals. Other than to bash homosexuals, what's the point of that thread? You're suddenly offended by the fact that someone starts a thread about something that you identify so closely with. This is the downfall of Christianity.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Same question applies to your thread about homosexuals. Other than to bash homosexuals, what's the point of that thread? You're suddenly offended by the fact that someone starts a thread about something that you identify so closely with. This is the downfall of Christianity.
sodomy is a sin, Christmas is not.

Reactions: Skeptical

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,850 Posts
sodomy is a sin, Christmas is not.
And? What was the point of your thread? Other than to bash homosexuals and their lifestyle, one that is made clear to be against the teachings of the belief system that you hold to but others dont, what was the point?

Nice try at a strawman.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
And? What was the point of your thread? Other than to bash homosexuals and their lifestyle, one that is made clear to be against the teachings of the belief system that you hold to but others dont, what was the point?

Nice try at a strawman.
To state that sodomy is a sin and Christmas is not. and to show that the majority of people on here agree with that statement. So whats the point of this thread?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts