Survivalist Forum banner

221 - 233 of 233 Posts

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,744 Posts
What's a good way to invest in real estate if you don't have the money to buy property? Or that a subject that needs it's own thread?
I think definitely needs it's own thread ... It's important enough info it should be easily searchable, at the very least. Thank you for considering that!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think definitely needs it's own thread ... It's important enough info it should be easily searchable, at the very least. Thank you for considering that!!
It probably is another thread, but I would just say be careful if you are thinking residential properties. They are looking to expand this "no eviction" thing to where you could be stuck with tenants not paying rent for years and there would be nothing you could do about it. If you took on a lot of debt to buy it, there won't be any protection for you as a landlord. You could lose your downpayment and the property.

Commercial properties aren't great either, with the low occupancy rates right now.

·
Registered
310 Posts
But it is easy enough to get at least a 6% yield out of your money. So that money doubles in 12 years. Most thing are not going to double in 12 years.
We are finding that to be true. Our retirement portfolio is doing better than expected. We are not finding our cost of living has gone up overall. Some things are up, others are down and it's evening out. We keep close track of our money and we have a great financial planner. We could handle a fair bit of inflation without a problem. We have a pretty good emergency account and we are insured for every financial threat we could envision.

This is after being almost bankrupt in 2009 and having to claw our way back to solvency. It was not easy. I know some people are just not in the position to do that and I feel for them. But for most people, it just required discipline. It is amazing to me that people prep for stuff that may or may not happen, but they don't prep for the status quo that is likely to happen.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
15,336 Posts
What's a good way to invest in real estate if you don't have the money to buy property? Or that a subject that needs it's own thread?
You save. Too many make the mistake buying property is the end all, be all. All property is not valuable. One must know what they expect to do with the property that is of value to them. Then that property might be of value to others. Only then does property contribute to your wealth.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I do not think that you understand. It is either stimulis checks on a unpredicable time line
or ubi which everyone can count on. I beleive ubi is better than the stimilus checks and that it is coming sooner than later.

Thanks, SamChevel
I believe the unpredictable time line is better than a predictable redistribution schedule, because if people can't count on a free handout, then they might get more serious about taking responsibility for their own lives.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's human nature for happiness to be defined as having more than someone else. Even if all that means is you have two potatoes and your neighbor only has one.
In my opinion, this is an incorrect hypothesis.

In my experience, most normal people want everyone else to have what they need and want, but while not being forcibly deprived of what they need and want, themselves.

I've only ever known a few people who enjoy gain at the expense of others, or are motivated by the idea of having more goodies than the people around them. I think this is a machiavellian tendency and I don't continue to associate with people like that.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I believe the unpredictable time line is better than a predictable redistribution schedule, because if people can't count on a free handout, then they might get more serious about taking responsibility for their own lives.
I disagree. I think the presence of handouts reduces the drive for self sufficiency and the reliability of the handouts becomes the issue instead of their existence.

Some people need handouts, sometimes. That's perfectly normal and fine. The problem is when people need constant handouts, either from habituation or actual need.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
In my opinion, this is an incorrect hypothesis.

In my experience, most normal people want everyone else to have what they need and want, but while not being forcibly deprived of what they need and want, themselves.

I've only ever known a few people who enjoy gain at the expense of others, or are motivated by the idea of having more goodies than the people around them. I think this is a machiavellian tendency and I don't continue to associate with people like that.
I don’t think having more implies you wish others to have less, simply that most people want to do better than average, and typically that’s the average of their neighbors, friends, coworkers, etc. Some are willing to work for it, some are willing to steal for it, some pray for it, some gamble fit it, and some just aren’t going to try to get what they want.

My daughter HAS to have the highest grades In her classes. But it doesn’t mean she wishes others to do worse, and in fact she studies with three of the top 4 students, , but if they were to start getting 97s, she is going to study harder and get 99’s. They have enough sense to be satisfied with a a solid A and my daughter will take anything above a 95. I just have to cure her of that before she crashes into a wall in college- she Says not to worry, she gets it.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
15,336 Posts
The reason the stock market is 76% up for 2020 is because the FED is propping it up. Therefore, the FED is stealing money from everyone in the world who holds dollars and giving it to the 10% of the population that holds Stocks and Bonds. How else do you get P/E ratios of 2700 or 350 when the average P/E is around 20? If they steal from the purchasing power of the currency at large to enrich the 10%, then its fair to give the average person UBI. Tesla and Boeing stock shouldn't be anywhere near what it is.
High P/E ratios result for too many more buyers than sellers. Everyone is a seller at some price but the higher the price the fewer the buyers. This is why Tesla and Boeing are at the price they are for the reason above. All that has nothing to do with the Fed. Your premise and conclusion: "The reason the stock market is 76% up for 2020 is because the FED is propping it up." FALSE "Therefore, the FED is stealing money from everyone in the world who holds dollars and giving it to the 10% of the population that holds Stocks and Bonds." THE CONCLUSION DOES NOT FOLLOW THE PREMISE EVEN IF THE PREMISE WAS TRUE.

If you disagree prove your point.

·
Úlfhéðnar
424 Posts
prove the assertion please.
Oddly, yes he is correct.

We can argue all day about long term ramifications and economic health effects of rampant money printing, but if you look at even recent economic history, even mild concerns about the Fed stopping its printer have severe economic implications on speculative growth investments.

We're in uncharted territory from a fiscal perspective. There's parallels, yes, but the modern situation is very unique when all factors are accounted for. At some point it will collapse, and the reasoning for that collapse and the timing will undoubtedly catch everyone by surprise.

221 - 233 of 233 Posts