Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new here in terms of posting, this is my first big one, so if this is not the right place please move it:

First of all I just want to say what a great community this is and that I truly admire how everyone here is willing to help each other and actually prepare themselves and their families if ever a disaster may strike. I hope to be more like all of you and strive for self-reliance and preservation of my family and loved ones. This is probably going to be long, but I ask you to bear with it and reply with your thoughts and ideas. I sincerely look forward to what every one of you has to say and I hope to have a great discussion on this matter.

(I will highlight the main points in this comment in case people don't want to read it all, but I really really hope that you do)

Now onto the main part:

I Need Help!

After viewing a video today by Stansberry & Associates Investment Research on their website and listening to their claims of a soon-to-come financial collapse, It got me worrying. I did a Google search on them and found out that they have been involved in a scam. This ruins my image of Stansberry & Associates and makes me question the credibility their video held, but I am left wondering if their video was total BS. It actually seems that a lot of what they were talking about and the examples they gave were irrefutable proof that there will be a collapse of the U.S. Dollar in the years to come. I am going to do some research into this on my own, but I really respect this forum and its users and would like to hear peoples opinions on the catastrophic possibility of a financial collapse within our country. What are your thoughts on the collapse of the U.S. Dollar and it's potential effects on all of us? Is it even going to happen?

My other concern, besides this country, is for myself and significant other. I am young, just turned 20, and going into the Air Force. Since I lack the experience and wisdom of most of the senior and/or regular users on here I would like to defer to your input on a way that I can have some sort of security if this collapse happens in the near future. I currently have no savings, no car, no net worth really.

I will be starting from scratch once I get out of basic. During my time in basic I will earn roughly $3,000 and another $20,000(+- a few thousand) through the course of my AIT. Upon graduating AIT I will get $14,000 as an enlistment bonus. So all in all I will have a maximum of about $37,000 after all my training. Of course I will have spent some of this money on everyday purchases though. The good thing is, is that I won't have to pay for housing, utilities, food (if I eat at the mess hall), and there is tax free shopping on base. So theoretically I could save everything that I make, but I will probably aim to save 80%. How can I use this money to jump start my preparedness and invest in things that will still hold value if a financial collapse should occur?

With the above information I am hoping some of you will be able to help me figure out a plan so that I may secure and provide a future for myself, my family, and my significant other. Thoughts on investments, preparation, and self-reliance taking into account a military lifestyle will be greatly appreciated!!

Some questions that are on my mind that I would like peoples input on:

• Are countries really getting rid of U.S. Dollars and looking for alternative currencies?
  • Are some places really starting to accept foreign currencies and/or create their own currency? (Due to the Coinage Act of 1965)
  • What will happen if the U.S. Dollar is no longer the national reserve currency?
  • How long will it take for our country to truly break down if a financial collapse occurs?
  • What can I do if I only have a few years before the US Dollar actually collapses?
  • **One burning question that I have is how to stock food if there is a possibility of moving around every few years. Do you think a few years supply worth of food will be able to be transported reasonably with the rest of my household items? Edit: (Before a SHTF scenario while everything is still "normal")
  • What will happen to the military if such a disaster occurs? I will be a linguist, how would this affect me?
  • What will the country become like if this event takes place?
  • How will our country recover and how long will it take?
  • If this financial collapse takes place, how are you prepared? Or what steps will you take to prepare? I ask this in hopes of seeing how other people are prepared or will prepare to deal with a situation such as this one if it ever occurs.

I am young and not prepared in any way as of this minute. I have a tightening feeling in my chest. I never panic about anything, but I am really really concerned with the idea of something on this scale happening in a few years and not having any preparations. I guess the thought of this happening just as I reach adulthood and finally gain my independence scares me. I would have started preparing earlier, but I was just to young to have the means or even comprehend something like this would ever happen.

Thank you, Thank you!!! for taking the time to read this and I look forward to everyone's discussion and input on this matter as well as my personal questions. This is really concerning to me and I am in dire need of some reassurance without getting crazy looks. It really does mean a lot to have a community like this that I am able to bring questions and concerns to. So once again, Thank You!

Edit: After a day or two, and thanks to everyone's awesome comments, I am no longer as panicked as I was. I still feel that this is something very serious however and will continue to "prepare for the worst." I hope to discuss this matter more though, Thanks to all who participate.

·
9 meals from anarchy.
202 Posts
Reactions: merccom

·
9 meals from anarchy.
202 Posts
To answer your questions:

- not yet
- not legitimately
- hyperinflation at the least, have your BOB ready.
- 12-36 months
- Read at least the survival-related threads of this board and get ready
- With the LIKELY scenario of there being no fuel, how do you plan to move around?
- The same thing that happens to everybody else. The more languages you know, the better.
- Think 10-12th century Europe but with more firepower.
- 12-84 months depending on impetus for catastrophe.
- I have a nice, obscure little where hopefully I won't get noticed. I got the firepower but would prefer to not use it.

·
I CHOOSE LIBERTY!
1,894 Posts
Are you locked into an enlistment yet? If not, I would attend a trade school of some sort instead of the military. That is saying something for me, I am a US Navy vet (82-88) and had a fantastic tour of duty. When the USSR went belly up, a very large portion of the military just walked away because they weren't being paid & didn't know when they would be again. If/when our currency tanks, what good will $37,000 face value worth of paper/cloth be? JMHO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

- not yet
- not legitimately
- 12-36 months
- With the LIKELY scenario of there being no fuel, how do you plan to move around?
- The same thing that happens to everybody else. The more languages you know, the better.
- I have a nice, obscure little where hopefully I won't get noticed. I got the firepower but would prefer to not use it.
Thanks for replying. I will check out that link.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
JakeG,

Welcome to the board....and take a deep breath. The good news is that you are smart enough at 20 to see through the lollipops, unicorn farts, Jersey Shore and American Idol that 65% of the population is obsessed with.

Secondly, another positive note, is that even though you don't have "wealth," you don't really have any debt either. Kudos.

Let's get down to business. Let me start by saying that I'm not sure there is a magic answer. There is no magic "Survive the impending doom" book that I can refer you to where you check-off boxes of preparedness that insures you are fine. It doesn't exist.

So how you prepare really depends on a whole host of things that you have to decide:

1) What are you most afraid of happening? Economic collapse? Natural disasters common to your area? Civil unrest? Zombies? I don't know. That's really up to you.

2) Realizing what makes you feel vulnerable presents the next question? How likely do you think it is that your particular fear may actually come to fruition? Since I don't really fear vampires, I haven't stocked up on garlic and silver bullets. However, economic collapse on the other hand has made me start a garden, look for acreage, store water bottles and store food long-term. You get my point.

Since you have now answered what scares you the most and have decided that it is a credible threat, how do you prepare?

From your post, I gather that you are indeed worried about the economy from your healthy list of questions (that no one can accurately answer). So here's my advise. Save your money. Save till it hurts. And when you think you've saved enough, save some more.

If economic doom does happen there are several things you need:

Food, water, and shelter. And remember, you may not be able to depend on your local municipalities for utilities, McDonalds or Wal-Mart for food and your house that heats with electricity may be out of service as well.

I myself am in the market to become better prepared for what I feel is the inevitable decline of America via a crappy, over-stretched economy.

So, realizing that, I'm looking to buy some acres (+10), with a spring, creek, or some other water source, and build a garage with an apartment above it. I'm preparing to unload my subdivision fru-fru house with pretty things that won't help one bit.

You need trees, so that you can have wood to heat with (make sure you have a wood stove).

You need dirt for a garden.

You need water.

You need guns and ammo for protection. I don't care what type of compound or property you do have, if you can't protect it, it doesn't matter.

If you have that, you will begin to have a chance. Long-term food stores, and other stuff is fine too. But the above list is a minimum in my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you locked into an enlistment yet? If not, I would attend a trade school of some sort instead of the military. That is saying something for me, I am a US Navy vet (82-88) and had a fantastic tour of duty. When the USSR went belly up, a very large portion of the military just walked away because they weren't being paid & didn't know when they would be again. If/when our currency tanks, what good will $37,000 face value worth of paper/cloth be? JMHO.
Thank you for your service. I have aspirations of becoming a Pararescue Jumper in the Air Force. I want to serve our people and save our citizen and solders lives, rather than killing and fighting wars. This training will also be invaluable to me. I can still get out, but I have decided to pursue a military career for now.

As for when/if the currency tanks, that is my concern. I am looking for a way to try to secure and invest most of that initial $37,000 so it won't be affected when/if our currency fails. I am at a disadvantage because I won't have any money until I really get into my AIT period and I am afraid I won't have long to prepare.

Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JakeG,

Welcome to the board....and take a deep breath. The good news is that you are smart enough at 20 to see through the lollipops, unicorn farts, Jersey Shore and American Idol that 65% of the population is obsessed with.
Haha, that is a good way to put it, thanks for that deep breath, it helped. I know I might be overreacting, it's just that video hit hard, if they were trying to use scare tactics to make you buy their book, it almost worked.

Secondly, another positive note, is that even though you don't have "wealth," you don't really have any debt either. Kudos.
Another positive thing I didn't think about, Thanks for that.

Let's get down to business. Let me start by saying that I'm not sure there is a magic answer. There is no magic "Survive the impending doom" book that I can refer you to where you check-off boxes of preparedness that insures you are fine. It doesn't exist.

So how you prepare really depends on a whole host of things that you have to decide:

1) What are you most afraid of happening? Economic collapse? Natural disasters common to your area? Civil unrest? Zombies? I don't know. That's really up to you.
Right now my main concern is economic collapse and not having the means to provide for myself let alone another. I know humans are persistent and won't die off easily just because they have no money, but I don't want to be homeless digging in gutters and trash cans for scraps.

2) Realizing what makes you feel vulnerable presents the next question? How likely do you think it is that your particular fear may actually come to fruition? Since I don't really fear vampires, I haven't stocked up on garlic and silver bullets. However, economic collapse on the other hand has made me start a garden, look for acreage, store water bottles and store food long-term. You get my point.
I feel that there is a good chance, based on evidence, that a collapse of the U.S. dollar could happen. My main concern is that I don't know how long I will be in one place, so it makes starting a garden and creating a permanent storage and Bug-in location difficult for me. This is my main concern I guess, not knowing when I might move or where I might be and therefore having a difficult time prepping long term.

Since you have now answered what scares you the most and have decided that it is a credible threat, how do you prepare?

From your post, I gather that you are indeed worried about the economy from your healthy list of questions (that no one can accurately answer). So here's my advise. Save your money. Save till it hurts. And when you think you've saved enough, save some more.
What I am concerned about is what happens if the face value of the U.S dollar drops overnight. It has happened elsewhere with currencies and people's savings became useless. I want to find something to invest in and someway to store and carry long term supplies.
I responded to your questions, thank you so much for that reply. I would love to buy some land with a house, but my only problem is how to maintain it and expand upon it if I am away for years or on the move. I will have to think about this...

·
Procrastinate Now
1,462 Posts
If the dollar is going to collapse, then all the other world currencies will have to collapse too. The dollar is crap, but so is everything else.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If I were in the military I wouldn't worry at all. You will be housed and fed. In a collapse the United States will need it's military power more than ever. Even Obama realizes this. He will need them to protect his butt.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Don't panic and stay on the course you have set. The AF is a great gig and it sounds to me you have a maturity level that exceeds your peers. Save your money because you only have a partial say as to what Uncle Sam has planed for you after boot camp. Study and keep up with current events. You will be ahead of the pack if you know what's going on around you. I would not invest heavily in PM but do invest. Once you are done with boot camp and advance training and you may end up being station in the US only then should you look at food storage. Look at investing in your future through education and watching the Market trends. The Stock Market is still a good place to invest, at least for now. Good luck!

·
Raider
155 Posts
Hey Jake.

A great many concerns. I've read the entire thread - so here goes.

Save your ass off. Convert your hard earned money into a piece of acreage - and whatever is left over in PHYSICAL precious metals - I am currently buying at 35-45% spot - turning it over at 83% spot and making a killing. I've also rolled more than 100oz into physical coin at market. In the military especially, I would learn how to identify gold and buy it cheap when all your buddies are heading to the bar and are broke. (Trust me - I used to sell cigerettes to guys in basic for $30.00 a pack when they first banned smoking during basic and AIT) Soldiers have TONS of disposable income due to their living situation, and when bored off their ass most don't want to read - they want to SPEND.

Someone above mentioned food and preps - don't trust in anything else. I've listened to many of the same people spouting the same thing for many, many years - and I have news, had I listened to people like this during the course of my life, I'd be living paycheck to paycheck, stockpiling rice and beans, wondering how I was going to pay my lightbill next month. DON'T LISTEN to them.

Three months food. Three months water. Get your preps and defensive/offensive capabilities stabilized - and then:

GET ON WITH LIFE! Prepare like a rabid boyscout, but be forewarned, the collapse is going to be a slow, long, drawn out affair, not an overnight ka-boom.

My current attitude is that if gold goes over $2300 an oz I won't buy anymore, as I would imagine we'll see a crash coming shortly thereafter. Take that for what its worth.

As far as land goes, its your choice. I own a large chunk in Nevada that I have not stepped foot on in years, I don't have to maintain it - its moderately overgrown - its up in the mountains, and full of trees. When I retire, thats where I'll be headed - or in the case of something really bad, it gets me away from my current area. (BOL)

If you have good credit? Your financing options for investment properties are SPECTACULAR in the military. Know anyone in the construction/restoration industry that you can trust like a brother? Put them to good use - buy rentals back in your hometown - get good tenants - have family take care of business for you. I purchased a duplex when I was in the army, 8 years later I was living in that same duplex with a renter next door. I sold that rental 2 years later and was able to put more than half down on my new home - and buy a spectacular piece of land.

I would have made a killing back in the day when I was in the Army - had I adopted your mindset so early on - and I listened to people more knowledgable than myself regarding my finances.

In hindsight I didn't do terrible, but I could have done SO much better.

Stay with the military as long as possible. They won't have nearly as many problems as civilians in a shtf or teotwawki situation. (some here will argue this point, as they have not thought it through to its conclusion) Also, it gives you a nearly limitless disposable income if you like to read and not partake in guilty pleasures like strip clubs :)

Pararescue jumper? Don't get married! That is probably going to be your biggest trap for preperations in dealing with the coming collapse right there. Its also going to put a huge crimp in your investment strategy - whatever that may be...

Be well - stay safe!

·
Registered
101 Posts
You'll certainly get training in the Armed Forces for survival techniques out in nature so there is a start on your preparedness. Also, during a economic collapse you'll have plenty to do and during the collapse you're more likely to be fed and have shelter while in the AF.

You don't mention much about family and I'm not trying to pry but any long term food, supplies, equipment you may acquire would be best stored with family members. If SHTF and its bad enough where you leave your AF position you will then have somewhere to go. Just find a safe place at or near home and keep it as quite as possible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Heard the same ad on radio, watched it and at 37 years old im worried. You are not being young and naive by taking not of it, in fact quite the opposite you are mature beyond your years.

I have much more to write and will return to this thread later tonight

·
Dog Gone It.
39 Posts
Yes the dollar is going to collapse

JakeG - welcome! Your concern has given me back my faith in the younger generation.

Please read these links in response to your question - "What are your thoughts on the collapse of the U.S. Dollar and it's potential effects on all of us? Is it even going to happen?"

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/10/markets/dollar/index.htm

http://www.examiner.com/christianit...ce-dollar-as-world-reserve-currency-hastening

Also, understand that when the US dollar is replaced as the world reserve currency, it will cause tremendous inflation in the US - every imported good will sky rocket in price, as well as the price you pay at the gas station, for heating oil, etc.

Good luck with your preparations - take it one step at a time - decide what is important to you first and build on that. Rice and beans are great storage foods, but do you really like them and want to eat them as a daily diet? Canned foods will last for many, many years if stored properly. Canned meat is a whole lot more appealing than just rice and beans, I think.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts

- not yet
- not legitimately
- 12-36 months
Wrong. Have you been watching/reading news at all lately?

Wrong. It already happens. Have you been watching/reading news at all lately?

Wrong. Total collapse. US government cannot control currency most of which is outside of US, held by foreigners.

Wrong. Few days. Without currency everything grinds down to a halt.

“12-84 months”? You wish!

Also. Why would anybody in the right mind join military at this point? To do what exactly? Fight wars that are officially scheduled to be lost?

I admire patriotism of anybody willing to serve but as with anything else timing is everything.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts