1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Beginner's Mind
1,681 Posts
It's that old rule thing liberals don't like. They want to be able to do what they want when they want it without having to comply. Look at Obama and the war powers act going into Libya.

If the Constitution were written correctly, they'd have no problem. Example:

"I get to do whatever I want whenever I want to without exception." (and anyone who objects, gets shot.)

·
Old Soldier
5,072 Posts
The liberal elites have been paving the way for several decades now through the Government Indoctrination Centers (public schools), using the Joseph Goebbels technique of brainwashing the children.
We now have a large percentage of people who have no idea what the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence even mean, and who have demonstrated they could not even pass the citizenship test required of legal immigrants who wish to become citizens.
Long gone are the days when a lot of teachers were WWII veterans who believed in patriotism.
I am almost 63 years old, and am a witness to what liberalism has done to this once great country.
I'm afraid what De Tocqueville described in "Democracy In America" has failed.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
The best part is you come on here and post this and only get 4 replies counting this one and maybe a dozen or so views. The people on this site dont even care LOL. Oh but if you posted someing like "Check out my new gun." Kev would make your post a sticky.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The best part is you come on here and post this and only get 4 replies counting this one and maybe a dozen or so views. The people on this site dont even care LOL. Oh but if you posted someing like "Check out my new gun." Kev would make your post a sticky.
Nah... more like my initial response when I saw the thread title, "So what's new?" The Constitution has been under attack in various degrees since the mid-1800s. And Time Magazine questioning the value of the Constitution is about as much news as the NYT endorsing a liberal candidate.

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
The liberal elites have been paving the way for several decades now through the Government Indoctrination Centers (public schools), using the Joseph Goebbels technique of brainwashing the children.
We now have a large percentage of people who have no idea what the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence even mean, and who have demonstrated they could not even pass the citizenship test required of legal immigrants who wish to become citizens.
Long gone are the days when a lot of teachers were WWII veterans who believed in patriotism.
I am almost 63 years old, and am a witness to what liberalism has done to this once great country.
I'm afraid what De Tocqueville described in "Democracy In America" has failed.
Its a 200+ year old document written by a bunch of old white men who were slave owners!!!!!!!

Don't believe that? Then you are not a member of the Liberal Elite who are all knowing!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I used to be a big proponent of the Constitution, but if you step back and remain objective about it, it's just a piece of paper. Pieces of paper don't stop evil people from doing evil, it only stops good people from doing evil. Good people wouldn't do evil anyway, so really the piece of paper doesn't accomplish much of anything.

Still if you want to salute, raise a flag and hold a ceremony, the Constitution and/or Old Glory are perfect things to do them with. They won't help you in your daily reality though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZwcAdPLQ-Y#t=2m25s

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Aletoledo

many evil people do their "evil" things because they think they are bettering their society. Nazi's, communist Russia & China where populist moments BUT there where no constraints on the power of government.

Neo is correct in my opinion the constitution is not being followed. That said, The constitution sets out the powers and LIMITS of government not citizens rights it is after all the bill of rights NOT privileges

The first and second secondments are excellent examples these don't give citizens anything! they limit governments power over citizens to take or augment these things.

1st, Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

2nd, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

·
Registered
989 Posts
many evil people do their "evil" things because they think they are bettering their society. Nazi's, communist Russia & China where populist moments BUT there where no constraints on the power of government.

Neo is correct in my opinion the constitution is not being followed. That said, The constitution sets out the powers and LIMITS of government not citizens rights it is after all the bill of rights NOT privileges
OK, so if your point/opinion is that the Constitution is not being followed, then what is the recourse? If the Constitution is more than a piece of paper, then what exactly is your redress to this violation of the Constitution? Why hasn't the punishment been enforcement and what exactly is that punishment?

The facts are that government is what we make it, the Constitution doesn't enforce this, you and I enforce it. If two kids are playing monopoly and they use the free parking space to collect money (which is a violation of the rules), who is there to stop them? The participants in the game are willfully accepting the rules as they exist, despite what the boxtop of rules say the game is supposed to be played.

Don't get me wrong, I think the sacrifice and patriotism of that period of time was terrific. That time has passed though and we're talking about the government of today. Government rules by force (i.e. at the point of a gun). You either obey the man with the gun or he shoots you (or throws you in prison). It doesn't matter what the piece of paper says, you're still going to be dead.

·
Not On My Watch
630 Posts
OK, so if your point/opinion is that the Constitution is not being followed, then what is the recourse? If the Constitution is more than a piece of paper, then what exactly is your redress to this violation of the Constitution? Why hasn't the punishment been enforcement and what exactly is that punishment?

The facts are that government is what we make it, the Constitution doesn't enforce this, you and I enforce it. If two kids are playing monopoly and they use the free parking space to collect money (which is a violation of the rules), who is there to stop them? The participants in the game are willfully accepting the rules as they exist, despite what the boxtop of rules say the game is supposed to be played.

Don't get me wrong, I think the sacrifice and patriotism of that period of time was terrific. That time has passed though and we're talking about the government of today. Government rules by force (i.e. at the point of a gun). You either obey the man with the gun or he shoots you (or throws you in prison). It doesn't matter what the piece of paper says, you're still going to be dead.
But the second Amendment from that Dusty old document whose time has passed is what has kept your Government at bay for all these years. The second Amendment was not placed there for hunting or self defense. It was put there to keep a tyrannical Government in check. It is your attitude that will eventually lead us to being enslaved even more than we are. They have already beat you into submission as you are ready to discard that document for a more modern one for Government of today. How is today different then back then. The Government they faced,(British) ruled by the point of a gun.
I know what you are gonna say. "What have you all done to beat back the Government? Our founding fathers took a lot from the British before they had enough. We have been dumbed down so we don't even know anymore when they violate the Constitution and most people are happy to throw out that document if it means they get something personally.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts

Ultimately the second amendment and citizens but citizens aren't holding government accountable.

I don't believe today that "government is what we make it" the two party system controls government and at any given time one of the two parties is in charge. Between the two they not only run government but elect supreme court judges, head of the federal reserve and regulate and oversee all federal, state and local elections among other things. The system is too large & complex for most of us to follow.

That piece of paper still provides rights to citizens but you must know your rights. we become victims because we assume the law is right, and we allow them to assert power they don't legally have.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
The citizens will not hold accountable a government that gives them something for nothing. Our government only lasted until people found that they could vote themselves other peoples money.

That's true

i'll even say that the constitution & our country isn't perfect but there's a whole lot worse countries we could live in.

Threes a bunch of video's related to open carry the interesting thing is how police often try to intimidate people it also seems that some don't understand the laws they enforce. Ultimately citizens need to know their rights and also demand them !

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Its a 200+ year old document written by a bunch of old white men who were slave owners!!!!!!!

Don't believe that? Then you are not a member of the Liberal Elite who are all knowing!
Our country has always had an obsession with slave labor. These days however, our leaders can rant about slavery & then just send the work they need to the countries where the slaves live.

The libs can spew hatred at "those old dead white guys" & swell with pride at how much better things are today, even though the only thing that has changed is where the work is being done.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I used to be a big proponent of the Constitution, but if you step back and remain objective about it, it's just a piece of paper. Pieces of paper don't stop evil people from doing evil, it only stops good people from doing evil. Good people wouldn't do evil anyway, so really the piece of paper doesn't accomplish much of anything.

You're absolutely correct. The Constitution is just a piece of paper.....

However the words contianed therein is the embodiment of Natural Law. Those universal truths which are not man made but are discovered. Those truths which are discovered not created and exist with or without man.

Those truths we hold to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
The citizens will not hold accountable a government that gives them something for nothing. Our government only lasted until people found that they could vote themselves other peoples money.
This is called the Tipping point and we have all but reached it.

We currently have 45 million Americans on the gov't dole, welfare, food stamps, public housing and Medicaid. Can you guess who they will vote for?

At some point in time you cross the threshold and become Greece where at age 50 everyone could retire at full pay.

Cut back on the Welfare check and see what happens, gonna make LA riots look like a Sunday church gathering.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
The abridgments to the Constitution began in ernest on April 9, 1865 and has been under attack ever since. When Lee surrendered at Appomattox, it ushered in the beginning of the era of an intrusive and over-empowered federal government.

III ~ Peaceful, but prepared.

"Obama, the skid-mark in the underwear of American history."
- J.R.L. -

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
This is called the Tipping point and we have all but reached it.

We currently have 45 million Americans on the gov't dole, welfare, food stamps, public housing and Medicaid. Can you guess who they will vote for?

At some point in time you cross the threshold and become Greece where at age 50 everyone could retire at full pay.

Cut back on the Welfare check and see what happens, gonna make LA riots look like a Sunday church gathering.
I am not sure I see that happening anytime soon. Don't think for a second our government isn't watching really closely what is happening in Greece and are scared to death they are going to be destroyed by their own Frankenstein they helped create. Therefore they will not have the spine to stand up to all the freeloaders and will keep the government gravy flowing as long as they can.

I suppose eventually the day will come where they simply can't pay them and the riots you speak of will come, but unfortunately when that day finally comes it will be too late to even reverse the course. At least if these spineless politicians would do something today they could avoid an all out collapse, but they won't.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I found this on another site that is relevant:
--------------------------------------------------
About the time our original thirteen states adopted their new constitution in 1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years earlier:

'A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government'

'A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury'

'From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship'

'The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years'

'During those 200 years, those nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence -- back to bondage

1 - 20 of 56 Posts