Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used those disposable tyvek painters coveralls for a quick and dirty wind- and maybe rain-proof suit?

Seems that if it is used as a vapor permeable but water non-permeable membrane, it should have some utility. I'm not talking about replacing a heavy duty rainsuit for a downpour, but just something to get around in in showery and/or windy weather.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
I have some but haven't used them yet. Not a bad idea bluedog. Also, with a couple of spray paint cans and bit of quick art work, maybe they would be ok for a Q&D camo suit / ghillie suit if some rags / foliage were attached. Just for a short term use mind you???

Cheers Herne

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
We use them on occasion at work when we have to be inside our tankers for a long period of time.It keeps cement and lime from creeping into the wrong areas. if ya get my drift.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I would not use them as a rain suit. I have several sets in my kits. they are great for keeping you from getting stuff on you. Like JRNC26 said.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Tyvek is made to keep out water and chemicals of all sorts. Some NBC suits even use them, but I would question some chemicals. All in all Tyvek is a very chemical resistant plastic. It's almost impossible to dye, so I hope if you get it from a home store you like the white kind.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
I use them for hazadous areas, asbestoss etc or where its realy dirty and they are great, actually they are quite warm to wear, the ones I use are white but you can get grey, like Herne said a bit of spray paint and you have any camo variation you want, definately worth having in your kit and if you live in an area prone to snow you have an instant BO suit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Be sure to have some duct tape handy, I use them fairly often at work(painter) and I can pretty well count on the crotch ripping out within the first 1/2 hour. They are warm and windproof.
Tom

·
audentes fortuna juvat
96 Posts
I use them at work sometimes and I don't like being in them. They don't breathe at all and you will sweat like the dickens. I would worry that it would be like sleeping in an emergency blanket.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
Has anyone used those disposable tyvek painters coveralls for a quick and dirty wind- and maybe rain-proof suit?

Seems that if it is used as a vapor permeable but water non-permeable membrane, it should have some utility. I'm not talking about replacing a heavy duty rainsuit for a downpour, but just something to get around in in showery and/or windy weather.
Look into those ultra light weight Gortex 2 piece rain suits .They last forever ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts