Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Question Authority!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently reside in the corruption state, er ah I mean the Constitution State, Connecticut. My question to the forum is:

1- What is your take on 2012?

2- My BOB is 17 years old and very used, it is my old backpack with an external aluminum frame. It has served me very well. I am wondering if I should keep this or upgrade to a new pack.

Thanx Chinagreen

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
2012?- who knows- no one, thats who. But thats not to say nothing will happen between now and then, or then, or in the future at any point. So there is nothing wrong with being prepared.

And you bag- as long as it wont fall apart, it will be fine! infact it being a little aged means only that you know its quirks and functions better. the onli issue i can think of is that it may be a little heavy, but apart from that, great!

Reactions: chinagreen

·
Registered
801 Posts
Move. The very notion that you will need to leave is reason enough: for me to effectively have a BOB I would need a tractor trailer.

If you think you have three years you are mistaken, you don't... you have three weeks.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I remember waaay back in 71 hearing a person speak on the comming takeover of the US by the Russians by 72 at the latest.. I recall that he had all types of proof on how weak and immoral the US was and how there was almost nothing we as good citizens could do to stop it.
Now me being a teenager I was impressed with all those "facts" and I started to prep. you know pack,22 rifle,knife,food,ammo ect.......
Well we know that shtf date and many others have come and gone but I have matured(quite a few people will debate this)in my preps but I still have my Kelty external frame pack it aint broke and still works fine.
We have a resource that I did not have way back younder and that is a lot of skills and info to help guide us in our journey into the survivalist world. Do a little research and it will not take lonk to see who has a good take on what is best to do and at what time.:thumb:

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Being Connecticut, I'd make sure you have plenty of hand, arm, and leg protection from briars. I grew up in the Montville/Norwich area, and every hike into the woods resulted in my arms & legs being shredded.

Reactions: chinagreen

·
Iēsous
8,793 Posts
I currently reside in the corruption state, er ah I mean the Constitution State, Connecticut. My question to the forum is:

1- What is your take on 2012?

2- My BOB is 17 years old and very used, it is my old backpack with an external aluminum frame. It has served me very well. I am wondering if I should keep this or upgrade to a new pack.

Thanx Chinagreen
2012 is gonna be just another year, imo.

yes upgrade, 17 years is a long time, keep it but upgrade:)

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
2012 - I agree with the others when they say "who knows"

The back pack you may want to take a closer look at. As we age we change, we get bigger, smaller what ever. A back pack has to be fitted to you body for maximum comfort. I just had to do this with my wife, the pack she had in university didn't really fit her anymore, so she had to get a new pack. She was a lot happier on our last back packing trip with a proper fitting pack. If you have the money it is worth it.

Regards,

Kevin.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
My BOB is 17 years old and very used, it is my old backpack with an external aluminum frame. It has served me very well. I am wondering if I should keep this or upgrade to a new pack.
Is it capable of seeing continuous use for a month in a worst case scenario? If its not, replace it.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
1) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst...words to live by
2) Throw that thing out before it falls apart when you need it the most.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
I think the Mayan calendar 2012 end-of-the-world concept is just hype. Read world history. There have been countless predictions of the end-of-the-world scenario in every culture and in every era of recorded human history.

IMHO, the end-of-the-world is relative in each individual's mind. To teens I know, not having an IPOD or Internet chat qualifies. To others it is no job or income. To others it is having to live in a 2,300 square-foot home after living in a 5,000 square-foot home.

As many other posters throughout this board have written, prepare as best as you can, but there are some things you simply can't prepare for such as planet killing asteroids, magnetic polar shifts, etc.

I say be prudent but enjoy the life that God has given you. Love your family, friends, the work/skills that you were born to do so well in your own unique way. Keep things in perspective and make sure you have someone in your life (such as I have in my wife) who keeps you grounded and doesn't let you go too far with the end-of-the-world possibilities.

That's the way I intend to live my 2009, come what may. <smile>

Happy New Year everyone!

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
Let's see, in my lifetime the world was supposed to end (as predicted by so called experts):

- all throughout the early and mid 80's, cause the Russkies were going to go nuclear.
- 1996 - cause some monk screwed up when figuring out what year it was, so 1996 was really 2000 years after the birth of Yehoshua ben Joseph.
- August something of 1999, some supposed Nostradamus prediction...
- Y2K

And supposedly the world is going to end sometime in late January, according to Republicans.

Then there's 2012... The supposed "end" of the Mayan calendar. Don't you think that maybe the guy carving the stone just got tired after hammering out a calendar for the next 1800 or so years? Or whoever commissioned it said, "WTF! When we agreed on the price per year of this calendar, I thought you were going to carve me 20 years, not 1800!!! STOP!!!"

In all seriousness about the Mayan calendar though... People are taking a tiny bit of information about the Mayan "Long Count" calendar, using it out of context, and blowing it way out of proportion.

"In practice, most Maya Long Count inscriptions confine themselves to noting only the first 5 coefficients in this system (a b'ak'tun-count), since this was more than adequate to express any historical or current date (with an equivalent span of approximately 5125 solar years). Even so, example inscriptions exist which noted or implied lengthier sequences, indicating that the Maya well understood a linear (past-present-future) conception of time." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar

The beginning of the "Long Count" calendar has been calculated to be in the year 3113 or 3114 BC. So 5125-3113=2012... The only problem with that is that if you read the above extract from wikipedia, you'll notice that the Mayans didn't stop at just the 5 coefficient count. They used it for brevity - like saying "eighty-nine" for 1989, or like using Mr./Mrs. instead of Mister/Missus.

So a whole bunch of people are running around like chickens with their heads cut off because Mayan mathematicians (like modern ones) were too lazy to write everything out in full.

And that's all I have to say about that...

·
Registered
44 Posts
2012 ? I would be prepping for 2009. as far as the bag if you got all the stuff to put in it then i would think about upgrading if not get your stuff first, you already got a bag

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
2012 - Let's take care of 2009 first.

New pack - Sure, go get one. It's not coming out of my wallet! Just kidding. How much backpacking do you do? If you plan on doing more, get an internal frame and you'll love it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
in terms of 2012 the polar shift is very real and very possible. even nasa has stated that there's a shift due in 2012. we don't really know the magnitude of what this shift will be. but with all the activity going on with earth its best if you just prepare for NOW. if you're planning on moving, move somewhere that's at least 250ft above sea level (the higher the better).

as far as the 'end of the world' talk, thats not what it means. billions of people will probably die in the event of a catastrophic shift. but some will survive.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I agree with everyone on 2012. There will definately be nationwide insanity, but only because it is an election year. And it will be the first year that I'll be old enough to run... Look out amurica!

As for your pack, if you use it and it fits, hang onto it. I have a kelty external frame pack, but upgraded for our long walk in 2006 to a gregory palisades. The gregory is way more comfortable, hauls more, but cost alot of money. I love it, but still use my old pack as a backwoods toolbox. Nice to have if you ever need to trek into the woods with a chainsaw, fuel, axe, polaski, shovel and lunch. Something my boss somehow figures a reason for me to do at least monthly and always in the rain. Good gear is good gear, and sometimes gets better with age.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts