Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my shelters I have often used a GI poncho in warm weather and a 8'x10' tarp in cold weather. My preference has always been the poncho, due to it being lighter, packing smaller, and being a multiuse item (worn, overhead shelter, bivy sack). I know two GI ponchos can be snapped together to form an 8'x10' shelter, but it leaks at the connecting points. Has anyone ever figured out a way to prevent it from leaking? I've been racking my brain over the past few days to try to figure something out.

·
American fearmaker
14,243 Posts
If the wind and rain are coming from the west, you want the higher seam to on the west side of the joint. In other words, In the USA most weather comes from the west or southwest. By placing the lower part of the ponchos on the east side the wind and water force any water on top of the poncho down and away from your seam. Also keep in mind that your seam should be the highest point of your poncho tent. If you have your seam even slightly below the peak of the tent, water WILL come through the seam. Keep the seam elevated and water moves away from the seam. Putting the lower poncho side away from the winds also keeps the water away from the seam. It actually takes two things to make this shelter work right.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have found the 2 Poncho setup has flawls you either live with or avoid. I went to a 9x14 gortex tarp. When I do the poncho thing, I use only one poncho!

Don

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I use a "jerven" survival poncho. They come in different sizes and configurations. I prefer the "thermo extreme" version wich has an aluminium reflector that reflects your body heat.
You simply can't freeze to death in one of these.
They can be used as a tent, poncho, camouflage, shelter and much more.

https://jerven.secure.flexiweb.no/page/4432/

Link is unfortunately in norwegian. Wasn't able to find an english version.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
For my shelters I have often used a GI poncho in warm weather and a 8'x10' tarp in cold weather. My preference has always been the poncho, due to it being lighter, packing smaller, and being a multiuse item (worn, overhead shelter, bivy sack). I know two GI ponchos can be snapped together to form an 8'x10' shelter, but it leaks at the connecting points. Has anyone ever figured out a way to prevent it from leaking? I've been racking my brain over the past few days to try to figure something out.
You buy a strip of material that is sturdy and weather resistant (maybe 6" to 12" wide and the same length as the distance from one side of the poncho to the other). You can buy snaps and a tool for installing snaps at Lowes or some other similar supply house. You measure the distance between the snaps on the ponchos and mark the same distance down the center of the strip. There are a couple of ways you may install the snaps on the strip but I'm thinking that you set two snaps side by side at your marked locations all the way down the strip. Another idea is to use heavy Velcro along the seams of the ponchos. You may have to play around with the ideas but I think you could make it work.

·
Communications Bunker
963 Posts
NASCAR style duct tape. if it can hold a bumper on at 150mph it can keep the rain out.

You could also consider getting a cheap, plastic drop cloth fronm Lowes or HD and toss that over the ponchos to keep the rain off the ponchos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts