·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I need to change my profile!

Two minor earthquakes shake Dallas-Fort Worth

09:36 AM CDT on Friday, October 31, 2008

By ARLINDA ARRIAGA / The Dallas Morning News

Two minor earthquakes shook the Dallas-Fort Worth area overnight, waking residents, setting off car alarms and spooking pets. But no major damage was reported.
Also Online

Link: USGS information on Texas quakes

The U.S. Geological Survey says a 2.5-magnitude earthquake centered in the Grand Prairie area was reported at 11:25 p.m. Thursday. A slightly stronger 3.0-magnitude quake centered in the Irving area occurred 36 minutes later.

Law enforcement agencies across northern Texas said they received some 911 calls from concerned residents but no reports of damage.

Irving police spokesman David Tull said his agency received about 25 calls around midnight from people inquiring about the vibrations, which set off car and building alarms.

Grand Prairie and Fort Worth officials also reported no damage. "We just learned about it on the news this morning,” said Dawn Atkins, a Grand Prairie emergency dispatcher.

USGS geophysicist Randy Baldwin said the quakes, which lasted only a few seconds, most likely felt "like a lightly loaded truck passing by, kind of a sharp jerk and then a rapid vibration."

Irving resident Christine Laughland said she was sleeping when the earthquake woke her up. She's from California and wasn't too shocked by the vibrations. But she couldn't say the same thing for her dogs.

“They were barking hysterically because it was their first one,” she said.

Randy Owens, a Starbucks employee in Grand Prairie, said he didn't feel it but that it was the buzz among his customers this morning. "Many were saying they were surprised they didn't feel anything," he said.

Reports of the quake also came from Dallas, Euless and Hurst and Fort Worth, Mr. Baldwin said. Aftershocks could last several days. There is also a possibility of more smaller quakes in the coming days that no one would likely feel.

Texas occasionally has earthquakes.

An April 7 earthquake in southern Texas had a 3.7 magnitude.

A minor earthquake was felt by some people in Amarillo on March 30, 2002. The Amarillo area also recorded seven minor earthquakes in 2000.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
25 people out of more than 2 million in the area. One of the brothers probalby got a new amplifier and didn't read the directions properly.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
LMAO Chris

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
99.99875% of people in the area slept through it. The recycled newsprint used to print this story is more destructive than the actual earthquake.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
99.99875% of people in the area slept through it. The recycled newsprint used to print this story is more destructive than the actual earthquake.
Chris,
this wasn't meant to alarm anyone or imply we survived something huge...it was meant as a curiosity that there was seismic activity in the DFW area...which has possibly been attributed to the massive amounts of drilling for gas in the Barnett Shale around DFW...but that's another topic all togehter.

Earthquake in Dallas...who knew?!?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Chris,
this wasn't meant to alarm anyone or imply we survived something huge
As a lifelong resident of the area, I was merely making light of the whole affair. It was all over the radio this morning, idiots at work were all abuzz, and it's in all the papers.

25 people noticed it and no damage. In contrast to real earthquakes that kill hundreds, or thousands, and cause billions in damage. Dallas gets exicted at something like this.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
It was Iran testing a nuclear bomb that they are going to use on America and kill all of the widdle children!

War UP!

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
God I hope he's wearing shorts....

Reactions: Reality Czech

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Bwahahahaha!
You outdone yourself Dwind!:D:
And TG I wasn't sipping on coffee this time!:thumb:

Reactions: Dwind

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, ...I LOVE these replies...it tells me that there are still folks that have my...or A sense of humor. Happy Halloween...BOOGITY BOOGITY!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts