Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys might know. I've hunted around online, only thing I can find is how to run two monitors on one computer...already knew that. But, can you run two computers on one monitor? Some kind of adapter maybe?

·
"TURGID FLUX"
5,788 Posts
I just saw this done in the control room of my client. They had a second system running on a second HDMI port in PIP mode.

I need to transition to WIN10 and am going to do this to keep my WINXP system operational for a while.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Many monitors have multiple inputs, like one HDMI, one Displayport, one DVI... connect one computer to each (there are adapters) and change from monitor menu. That's it. You will need two sets of mouse and keyboard tho, unless you use KVM or use a special software to share mouse/kb between computers.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I want to share a monitor so that on occasion I can use an XP computer that has a scanner interfaced with it that won't work with Win 8.1. I was ready to purchase what I thought was a simple $7.99 mechanical A/B switch but some reviewers are reporting resolution resetting problems. I don't understand why a computer would recognize a manual switch instead of the monitor.

I don't switch it very often so I may just get an additional monitor cable and a female to female VGA connector for easier access and just switch cables manually.

·
Get bent
358 Posts
I used to use Synergy as a software KVM back when I was space limited. Not sure if they have a free version anymore. But now that I have the desk space, I don't bother. It and a few other software KVM's work over the network. So if you do have your PC's networked, search the google for "free software KVM". Sharemouse & LiteManager are two that I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,469 Posts
I've tried several KVM switches over the years. IMHO, the mechanical switches work better than the electronic switches that use a hotkey combination to switch devices. All the electronic versions I tried failed in two to four years.

I have one set up with two PCs sharing a single keyboard, video, and mouse (KVM).

Another has four PCs connected in the same way.

This is the KVM I use:

4 Port VGA KVM Switch

VGA simply refers to the connection. You are not limited to VGA resolution. The only issue I've seen is that you may have to set the monitor's resolution manually in Windows because Windows tends to see the KVM device, rather than the monitor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts