Survivalist Forum banner
1261 - 1280 of 1286 Posts

· patriarch
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,263 ·
Our Hickory King corn done fairly good. During the winter storm, we set by the wood stove and shelled out the best ears. We got a 5 gallon bucket full. I am anxious to grind some for corn meal. They say it makes great hominy and grits too, if you like them, I do. On our list of things to try.

· patriarch
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,264 ·
Its a good thing I was taught proper math and reading skills. Being on a fluid and sodium restriction diet is a pain in the ass. Now, we read every product label and keep track of milligrams and milliliters. :( Food you like is forbidden to eat , or you learn to change it up. Its a miracle every one isn't sick, the ingredients i see in processed food. Its great to have home canned food. Its been work to put food bye, but now its paying off.
Did you know they make sodium free baking soda? So them corn muffins are going to be good when they come out of the oven.

· gardener & news junkie
4,980 Posts
That's some TALL and pretty corn, TB! Good job. Enjoy your cornbread! :)

That's a whole new world of cooking you've got now. I'm pretty much a scratch cook so I just add a little salt during the cooking and then to taste at the table and have never had a sodium problem. Talk about salt in all those store-bought foods, how about sugar? They put it in everything. Not me! Only in baked sweet goods which I rarely make except to give away at Christmas and maybe some brown in bbq sauces.

· patriarch
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,273 ·
Looks like it's been taken care of, not pulled out of the ground or iron pile and wiped off.
We been looking for a while. Like i said , seen mostly junk, too rusty to even use. I'm not a collector of anything, unless i can use it. I was just strolling along, wasn't looking for anything in particular today. My wife said, can't we use that? Wow, heck yes, I had over looked it! :oops:
Spring and nuts are adjustable, no rust. Wood handle had seen better days. Definitely a good find.

· patriarch
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,278 · (Edited)
After several years of catching feral cats and turning them over to the county animal control, we adopted one. This cat roamed the neighborhood. I was never able to catch it. It never seemed to have a home of its own. We wondered if it was a good mouser. So my wife decided to befriend this cat. It was a beautiful cat. Was it a female or a male? After some research, we decided it must be a female. We used the ole fashion way of telling males from females, we looked. ;) And we found out that calico cats are almost always female. Only 1 in 3,000 are males. Interesting.
So yes, she's heck of a mouser! Brings um into the back porch. Plays with um until she gets bored, then eats half um. Maybe she adopted us.

Cat Felidae Carnivore Comfort Small to medium-sized cats

Grass Carnivore Cat Wood Terrestrial animal

Cat Vertebrate Felidae Carnivore Flowerpot

· patriarch
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,279 ·
Are your hens laying eggs? It is winter time you know, hens normally slack off in cold weather. No sunshine for days upon end, lack of daylight or shortening of the daylight hours tell birds to slack off the egg production. And then there's that feed issue. I've switched from dry feed to a wet fermented feed source. A mixture of old stock pellet, a goat sweet feed that my goats would not eat, and layer crumbles. I get 2-4 [email protected] I forgot to turn my timer on to extend the light source until today. Just a forgetful ole man.
Bird Vertebrate Phasianidae Chicken Comb

Cuisine Natural material Fluid Dish Wood

1261 - 1280 of 1286 Posts