Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first survival tutorial. I hope you find it useful.

We all know that clean water sources are scare these days. As long as you're alive you'll have urine - and urine is drinkable. Some people claim it isn't safe - but trust me, I've done it many times with no ill side-effects. Once you get past the pre-conceived "grossness" it isn't so bad!

These are the steps I take to "purify" my urine:

1) You'll want to dig a hole about a foot wide by 8-10 inches deep.

2) Next fill the hole with items that have a high moisture content like plants, cactus, topsoil, etc. Make an indentation in the center of the material with your fist (you want it to look like a little bowl).

3) Take an old plastic grocery bag & cover the hole. Press the bag down in to the indentation you made in step 3. Use rocks or dirt to hold down the bag around the perimeter of the hole. It's important to make sure that the edges are a little higher than the center as you'll want liquid to run in to the center of the hole.

4) Urinate in the bag - fill it about 3/4 of the way.

5) Leave the bag untouched overnight. Condensation (and possibly rain) will gather on the edges of the bag and roll down in to the indentation. This will dilute the urine and make it safe for drinking.

For maximum effect, I place 10-15 of these devices around my campsite.

Hope this is useful information for some of you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it certainly isn't a joke.

If given the choice, I would prefer to drink 100% pure, clean water - I think we all would :)

That may not always be feasible. I think this is just another option to add to your belt, so to speak, to allow you to supplement your water supply when it is running low or unavailable for some reason.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Urine is a waste product. In other words, it's what the body has already rejected. It's also very salty which will just make you more thirsty and dehydrate you further.
You can build a water still and urinate around the hole you dig to add more fluid that will condense and create water. Drinking the urine itself is pretty stupid.

·
Stack It Deep.
649 Posts
On a dare, I tested my own water filter by peeing in a bucket for a week, then distilling and purifying it, then drinking it.

It was good!

Say "EW" but there may come a time when your body dares YOU. Just don't drink it straight, it will make you more thirtsy. Ask any lifeboat survivor.

·
Registered
822 Posts
okay, I know ancient greek physicians used to taste the patirents urine to diagnose diseases, I know in extreme conditions you can recycle (drink) urine if you are healthy, but I would rather distille it than drink it.

·
Banned
1,567 Posts
Contrary to most of the posts on this thread urine is a good alternative in a life or death situation when no water is available. Urine is 95% water and also sterile. If you are dieing drinking your own urine can keep you alive a little longer until it eventually becomes to concentrated and you reach kidney failure. If drinking my own urine gives me just a few more days of life, and increases my odds of surviving then cheers!:thumb:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I think I'll have to research this topic a bit more. I have heard contradictory things when it comes to this topic from sources which seem credible. D
Distilling urine is another matter. You can also build a sump next to a solar still and pee into that, which is supposed to help with water output. I've tried that, can't say whether it worked or not.

·
Never Ready Enough
170 Posts
You go dude, I got a bit more to contribute once I finish this beer.
Myself I'll take a pass on the Urine. I already know how to make tranpiration and solar stills. Urine too moch Salt + Ammonia.
Obviously the "BEAR" is having some affect on you.

·
Registered
461 Posts
urine needs to be drank right away. It is sterile fresh out of your body, but allowing it to sit exposed to oxygen will become rancid and will make you very sick. pee in the toilet and let it sit for a day them take a big smell you will see what im talking about. Also in another note dont drink your urine more than once within say a week or so its very unhealthy for your body to keep drinking your waste.

·
Never Ready Enough
170 Posts
urine needs to be drank right away. It is sterile fresh out of your body, but allowing it to sit exposed to oxygen will become rancid and will make you very sick. pee in the toilet and let it sit for a day them take a big smell you will see what im talking about. Also in another note dont drink your urine more than once within say a week or so its very unhealthy for your body to keep drinking your waste.
Dude are you some kind of health nut or what?:eek:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.