Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Crazy
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experimental archeology attempts #2 and #3. Playing with the chemistry to see what makes faster blackpowder. First attempt looked good but was slower then I wanted but I believe it to be similar to what out forefathers made in the 1700s. Next I’m going to try to extract dextrose from corn. That should harden the grains and get me a faster powder and is more of a late 1800s gun powder. Powder #2 was made from a 2x4pine board from Lowe’s and #3 was maple limb from the farm. From what I read silver maple, and willow makes the best blackpowder but I don’t have any. The My mom has a willow tree in their front yard so I might ride over and trim it for her. The lead is out of a car battery and wheel weights. The KNO3 I simply bought from Lowe’s in the form of stump remover but I will be extracting it from my chicken coop once I figure out the rest. It’s easier to learn one step at a time so you know what the broken link in the chain is if it fells.

the first batch I bought ball milled charcoal and it worked well. These are both diy charcoal so we will see. The first batch I shot in my 45colt, flintlock, and 410 shotgun. The 45colt and flintlock shot really good. The 410 kinda had a weird pattern going on but the shot on useing is melted wheel weights smelted in a diy shot dropper so that is probably the problem. But at 25yards it would still kill a squirrel.

The long Colt is filled to the brim. I want to get another mold to make traditional projectiles but I have this lightweight wads cutter mold so that’s what I’m loading with now.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I always read/heard that car battery lead isn't the same as regular wheel weight lead, and breaks apart if you try to shoot it...

·
Registered
607 Posts
For anyone looking for lead, try asking around at indoor pistol ranges. I stopped into mine after they cleaned out their backstop and I scored well over half a ton of scrap bullets for free. I still haven't used half of it lol Approximately a 50/50 mix of cast and jacketed and it has proven to be good in both .45 acp and .357 mag. Both shoot accurately with no leading. Just have to melt the scrap into ingots and cast from those. Lube can be made economically from beeswax and paraffin.

·
Crazy
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any updates on this project?
I got a good deal on 4 tons of lead. They are robot weights from some old robots we scrapped at work. The company let me buy them at 20cent a lbs as that was scrap yard price. I cut them up with a chainsaw and will be processing it.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Engineering Gas Service Machine Composite material
Food Recipe Wood Ingredient Brick

·
Crazy
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wood Tints and shades Font Metal Pattern
Actually not quite 4 tons, they are 922lbs each and there will be a total of 8 if all the robots get replaced as planned. I have three now cut up and ready to melt.

·
Crazy
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as powder the dextrin worked great. The powder is burning very fast and at 50 yards is only hitting 3in lower then Swiss commercial powder. So my velocity can’t be far off. I started experimenting with homemade lube that’s exceeded my expectations. I use both cowboy recipes, beef tallow with beeswax, olive oil and beeswax, one recipe from 1850 was 50% beeswax with 50% tallow and is honestly better then commercial lube.
Bumper Tool Hand tool Automotive tire Wood

·
Crazy
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another new thing is I bought a percussion cap making die. I made up caps from strike anywhere matches and a soda can and they work as well as store bought.
Wood Hardwood Auto part Wood stain Flooring

Hood Textile Wood Flooring Floor

Wood Gas Tool Machine Font

1 - 16 of 16 Posts