Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's silly but I'm so excited to be started on the garden. I started my early greens and potatoes indoors and our last frost isn't until the end of March. I had to work around my kale bed because even through 2 weeks of over a foot of snow and a week of teens at night and low 30's day it's still producing!
I want to add to the garden this year and I'm not sure whether to do a few raised beds or go through the digging process.
1. We have really poor soil here in the mountains large rocks abound and tightly packed red clay. It would be easier but more expensive to do the raised beds. I do have access to some really well composted horse manure to fill the raised beds.
2.On the other hand I have been wanting to build a cob oven (the rocket stove kind) outdoors in a kind of outdoor kitchen area near where we have our picnic table. That would use up 4-5 wheelbarrows full of red clay right there making room for some well composted manure from the horse farm. I also could use the rocks to build another rock wall. (from my first garden I got enough rock for a 35 ft long 2 ft high wall to terrace my garden and make it flat + a 6 ft fire ring + I outlined my flower beds + I built 2 sides of my compost heap and have 3 rocks about 2 ft by 1 ft Just sitting there in case I need to sit down in my garden) Let me tell you digging those out was back breaking work.
For now my regular garden is started and I have that dull ache that comes from digging for the first time since I dug out last years sweet potatoes. It feels good. I must be crazy.:D:

·
I have control issues
7,112 Posts
I'm jeaslous! My garden is still covered with snow, so it will be a while before I can even THINK about getting the ground turned. (On the OTHER hand, though, I should be getting started planting my "early" season seeds in the greenhouse soon...hopefully this week.

·
=)
123 Posts
I just got done turning my garden over for the second time in the last 2 weeks after adding more manure and will probably put in some potatoes next weekend. good thing i got plenty of chickens to supply the fertilizer =D

·
Registered
338 Posts
I turned my pile yesterday. The ground has been frozen solid for weeks but we got just enough warm weather to thaw (sort of) my compost. I ended up turning large, but manageable, chunks of frozen ground but it felt good nonetheless.

Kudos to you sciteach...from a West Henderson grad.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I just turned a garden that had been laying fallow for 2 years. My dad needed to get rid of some clay, so he spread it out over he garden 2 years ago. :mad:
I think I managed to get enough sand in it by scraping the driveway and spreading it around.

Anyhow, a friend of mine has a landscaping business, and asked me if he could dump leaves in the garden this fall to avoid paying a $50 per load dump fee. I told him sure. Then I saw the pile. :eek:
I pushed about 2/3 into a corner.

I left about 1.5 feet deep on a quarter acre. Then I tried to disk it in. The 1020 John deer just refused. Couldn't get the disk to bite, it just dragged the leaves behind me.
So, i got a bigger tractor, and a chisel plow. We haven't had rain in 2 weeks, but the ground was soft and mushy underneath all those leaves. It took 3 hours going over and over the ground to get the leaves decently mixed in with the top soil, and there is still a lot of leaves on top. Planting Potatoes tomorrow.

·
traveler
188 Posts
Tomorrow calls for sun and it has been dry enough the last couple weeks, so I'll be firing up the tractor and turning about 1/2 acre. It is indeed exciting to wake up from winter and play in the dirt again. Potatoes, 60 garlic and 240 onions will go in the ground this weekend!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm on new land and gonna have to de-sod before I can till. I know technically I could just till it, but I like getting as many weeds got before I get started rather than just tilling them in and having them pop up with the plants. I've got a cattle farm and a horse ranch within a mile, so I may just mosey on down and see if either of them have some well composted manure they want to get rid of. I was out pacing the plot two days ago and I'm a bit worried that some areas are going to be 'bog-prone', but I think if I get some sand and as much compost as I can and get it turned in it'll help keep the ground drained. If not, I'll just keep adding till it's all raised and then work it into raised beds. But so far it looks like I have one 20' x 50' garden area, and then a 26' x 5' flower/herb/greens spot that won't get 100% sun all day. May do my herbs and lettuce in there so that I can get them sun, but they will have shade 1/2 the day to keep them cool. I'm getting all excited at all the different possibilities!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.