Survivalist Forum banner

Which is better?

• Turkey SPAM

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • REAL SPAM

Votes: 56 72.7%
  • Get that horrible slimey scum off my planet!

Votes: 10 13.0%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread may seem a little frivolous, but I'm curious to ask all the same.

Theres always the not so positive iconic image of a prepper being holed up in his or her basement with stacks of SPAM, beans and bullets.

The truth is, lots of us do indeed love SPAM. Several of my friends who served in the war, and were stationed in the Pacific following the war always turn their noses up at it,they feel it is awful salt ridden chum.

I love it, but I keep as kosher as possible, and I discovered turkey SPAM and have more or less fallen in love with it, even if I can't get a better price than 2$ a can.

So, have you folks tried it? Its a squeege bit healthier, and tastes fantastic.

Which is better?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I love real spam. I'm not a fan of the turkey stuff though. But if I got hungry enough, I bet it would be the best thing evuh.

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
spam - fried, cold, spam sandwhich - with mayo or mustard, all hail the mighty spam.

Turkey spam might be a little lower in fat then regular spam??? Or so I'am thinking. So maybe mix things up a little bit? Get some of both.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I was just looking at turkey spam the other day and wondering whether I should try it. The can said it has an improved taste so I was little bit skeptical. It's good huh? I'll try it, thanks.

We have spam once in a blue moon, but I do keep it on hand for preps. When it's nearing the end of it's shelf life I mix it with chopped potatos and eggs for a kind of hash. Good stuff! We just don't use it often because of the sodium.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Never tried the turkey spam. The Bacon spam taste like the regular spam to me.

Spam sliced thin and fried on bread with mustard, mayo, pickles and cheese. The breakfast of champions! :thumb:

S Some
P Putrid
A Ass
M Meat

·
Μολὼν λάβ
576 Posts
I have to agree with Sgt Sausage on this one. Spam has mostly been a prep item that made its way to the table (or donation) due to rotation. But the introduction of Bacon Spam has brought it into the cupboard. If sliced thin enough it gets nice and crispy and is a suitable, long shelf life substitute for the real thing.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I have to agree with Sgt Sausage on this one. Spam has mostly been a prep item that made its way to the table (or donation) due to rotation. But the introduction of Bacon Spam has brought it into the cupboard. If sliced thin enough it gets nice and crispy and is a suitable, long shelf life substitute for the real thing.
Why use it as a substitute for bacon when you can buy bacon in a can?

I would hazard to guess the Yoders canned bacon is more cost effective considering the amount it contains.

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
I have not looked but the ham probably has more fat=more calories for same space. Nothing I buy is light, reduced fat, etc. for preps. Then again, I have a hard time keeping wight on if my activity or stress level goes up. 2 things sure to happen in SHTF.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Spam makes roadkill look goooood!:D:
Spam, when the last of the weevil infested rancid rice is gone.
Spam, bait for trapping possums for dinner.
Spam,...for when the kids are extra extra bad.
Spam, when your teeth are gone from chewing tree bark.

JK,.....I like Spam.:)

·
Full loose Bozo
1,242 Posts
Spam cut into tiny cubes, hashbrown potatos, green bell peppers chopped up, half an onion, and two eggs, Mix it all together and fry it up and you have the ultimate camping breakfast. The only problem with it is, that sometimes you dont want to share. Oh, btw, salt injection please.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts