Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Aim small, miss small
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going Turkey hunting in a few weeks on my brother's property. I'll probably load up with CCI Velocitors. I'm assuming for turkey hunting, head shots are preferred?

The rifle I'll be bringing is a Sig 522.

Anything wrong with my rifle choice or am I good to go? :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If you're legal, you're good to go. The only turkey I have taken was with a single shot .22, head shot, irons, gun had ~50 yrs on me. Bird was tasty.

·
Aim small, miss small
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it. This is in Eldorado County in Kommiefornia. I'll call the Fish and Game office up there.

Yeah I can't wait to eat the first turkey I've shot. Fry it up in peanut oil. :)

·
Currently surviving SHTF
2,485 Posts
Got it. This is in Eldorado County in Kommiefornia. I'll call the Fish and Game office up there.

Yeah I can't wait to eat the first turkey I've shot. Fry it up in peanut oil. :)
Inject it with teriyaki and deep fry...and you'll eat the whole bird yourself..

I know this. :)

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,372 Posts
As with what others have said......check your game laws!

If you have a rifle capable of 1 MOA, you can take head shots with any caliber!

If you are using a .22, choose solid lead bullets and take a body shot or aim for the legs if you have a broadside shot or the base of the neck if he's facing you.

If he's heading away from you go for the ass or half way up his back.

Don't use hollow points if possible. Remember he's gonna flop for a long time after he's been shot, watch the spurs and claws, he'll getcha!

I've had head shots where they've dropped dead, some flop but not for long. Body shots...they flop for a while.

If you don't get a good shot, good luck finding them

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Heat shot or I would also shoot for the base of the neck just inside the feathers from the waddle. Doesn't move as much as the head itself and will still be a kill shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts