Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any turkey hunters in our community? And if so what techniques do you use to clean your turkeys do you skin or pluck your birds? Also are there any good videos on field dressing a turkey out there? Nothing like a deep fried turkey.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Sorry I missed this post.

My dad is big into the turkey hunting and I plan on doing some this year as well. Texas used to have a one week turkey season but recently increased it to the whole month of April.

Back in December my son and I walked up on 3 wild turkeys while on the way to the deer stand. 3 weeks ago we say 4 wild turkeys on the deer lease close to where we saw the 3 back in December.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Are there any turkey hunters in our community? And if so what techniques do you use to clean your turkeys do you skin or pluck your birds? Also are there any good videos on field dressing a turkey out there? Nothing like a deep fried turkey.
Never been turky hunting. All of the guys I know that hunt turky use a bow and I dont bow hunt. I may try it next year -(I want to expand the kinds of game I hunt in general)- but I will be useing a shotgun. I keep hearing wild turky is really good to eat but I have never tried it. What advice could you give to someone that has never been turky hunting.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
3 ways that work:
5 gallon buket of boiling water, dunk bird for 5 miniutes, pull feathers.
(Big Mess) but works.
Skin the little bugger.
(Even messier) but easier too rinse, but loose flavor because fat from skin is now gone.
Cover heavily in "Clay" theres lots in GA of the red variaty, you will need too find a local natural source.
Dig a pit, fill pit with oak wood and burn wood, when it is all smoldering coals, scoop out about half of the with a shovel, throw clay covered bird in pit, cover with removed coals, then cover with dirt from hole dug.
7-9 hours later, uncover bird, it is now in a baked pottery like substance.
Break pottery covering with rock and peel away clay shards, it peels the bird at the same time.
Very good flavor, very moist, and very easy too do, and you don't need too watch it cook, or anything.
Turkey hunter?
You needed a lazy turkey cook !!!
Yes, I have killed my share, but I still prefer the store bought variaty.
Bigger breast !! ;)

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
I love hunting turkey, but hate cleaning. If you're skinning, you can bacon wrap the bird before you cook it, and that helps with the lost fat from the skin. If you're oven cooking a bird, do it in an oven bag, which will help keep the juice in pretty well. I like to cook em slow on the pit, wrapped in bacon. mmmm tasty.

·
Always watching from afar
292 Posts
I am a turkey hunter. This is my favorite thing to do in the world. I live for turkey season. Because of the way I like to eat my turkey I just cut it open similar to skinning a deer and cut the meat out. I like to fry my turkey in a pan and sometimes add alil hot sauce to spice them up alil. Thats just me though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts