Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this rifle in 98 from a guy who was down on his luck and needed cash. It was a stock 700 VS 26" barrel and came with the VARIII 4.5-14 LP base/rings. At the time it was a steal for $675 complete. It loves 4064 and 168 gr bullets. Consistent 1/2 MOA from a bench @ 100 and 8" plates at 600. So I got the wild hair to set it up for shooting at 1000 at 8" plates. The scope doesn't have enough vertical adjustments so I added a 20 MOA base plus new Burris rings. Then a new Chote stock (this is a beast and more on it later). I've loaded up some 175 grs and I'm off to the range next Saturday to see what's left to tune.

All of the parts came together nicely, but I did need to take a few thousands off the front action screw to get the best fit to the stock. I also polished out a few tooling marks from the aluminum bedding (anal rather than function). The stock is around 6 lbs and has 1.5" unlimited cheek adjustment (needed for 20 MOA base) and pull adjustment. The recoil pad has .75" vertical adjustment. The plan swell is best suited for large hands. The rifle now comes in at 15 lbs.

If anyone wants a stock REM aluminum bedded VS stock and Leupold 1" rings and 1 piece base, PM me with an offer.

Results of the mission TBD next Sat.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Nice shooter. 600 yards isnt bad, hell here in Fl I would be hard pressed to find a place where I could make a shot that long. A couple hundred yards is a long shot down here. Let us know how it shoots at 1K.

Reactions: 0002S

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice shooter. 600 yards isnt bad, hell here in Fl I would be hard pressed to find a place where I could make a shot that long. A couple hundred yards is a long shot down here. Let us know how it shoots at 1K.
Manatee Gun Club
1805 Logue Road
Myakka City, FL 34251

1.5 hrs from Leesburg.

They have a 1K range, open FRI/SAT/SUN $18 for range, $23 for 1000 shooting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts