4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sharing the weekend camping trip I took at tumble lake

Lessons Learned:

1. Expand tackle options to include smaller fish
2. Usnea is an incredible soap substitute
3. Mountain food forage is slim
4. What Garmin identifies as a trail is not always a trail
5. I don't need many pine boughs to effectively insulate me from the ground (many more are needed to be comfortable).
6. Use different types of wood for different fire applications, like saving the hardwood to burn while sleeping because it lasts longer, saving a stack of pine needles if a quick ammount of light or heat is needed, and burning pine for a tall flame.
7. Brook Trout are unbelievably smart
8. I can sustainably engage rigorous physical activity on 1000 calories a day.

Here are a selection of pictures!

Looking East from tumble mountain

From left to right: Mt. Jefferson, Coffin Rock, Mr. Bachelor, and 3 Sisters.

Still lots of snow and precarious snow difts that are hollow on the inside (which became the brunt of many jokes when my friends and I fell in waist deep)

Great vista!

Bushwhacking across mountains aint no joke!

Bushwhacking back up the mountain after the trip was over, we finally stumble across the trail. Haha.

Really neat stream that has eroded its way through a fallen tree

The Lord of the Fungus (our impromptu spiritual leader)

East side of Lake Tumble looking North at dawn

East side of Lake Tumble looking South at dawn

My primitive camp that worked remarkably well on those 40 degree nights.

Ain't no cookin' like slow roastin'.

2nd twisting of cordage. Didn't snap a photo of the first length of cordage. This cordage is made from the bark of a alder tree sapling (which was used as the spit in the picture above)

3rd twisting of cordage, which took an estimated 50lbs of strength to break.

Post-mountain conquering. I've found a position to wear my knife that I absolutely love. I hang it by a binding from my belt, and then use another loose binding right above the knee. Binding tensions can be adjusted to preference. It never gets in the way, is always ready, easily accessable, and won't get in the way of a hip-holster mountain sidearm. That's Detroit Resorvoir in the background.

The best part about these tracks is that they weren't there on the hike in :eek::D:

Next time, I will catch one of those crafty brook trout. :thumb:

When I get around to synthesizing video of the trip, which includes a pine-bough/550 cord tee-pee, it will be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/twyggy

·
Study becomes insight
239 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Those are some really great pics. I feel the need for some nature now instead of being in the damn office.

·
Voluntaryist.
274 Posts
awesome photos man, thanks for sharing I always love to see other people camping and hiking set ups, stories etc.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You sure can! That bad-boy is the Gerber LMF II ASEK. I think it's a bit on the heavy side for use solely as a knife, but, when you combine the fact that the thing is built like a tank with the fact that it doubles as a decent fork, shovel, hammer, hatchet, and mascerator, it makes the weight worth every gram.

I've been bomb-proof testing it over the past two years or so. That is to say, I haven't ever sharpened it, cleaned it (other than a blade wipe), or been cautious when using it. I'm taken back to say that, after two years of doubling as a shovel, hammer, and hatchet, that it still shaves firesticks and has never been sharpened once.

It's made of 12C37 steel, which is more brittle than stainless steel, but holds it's edge significantly longer. Because the steel is more brittle, there are some small chips out of the serrated part of the blade form years of abuse, but they don't seem to effect the function of the knife for some reason, and I'm sure can be sharpened down anyways.

It seems to finally be beginning to dull, so I'm going to sharpen it here in a couple of weeks. Not bad for a two year stint of wrecklessness.

A lot of people don't like this knife becauase they think that if they buy anything military-oriented that they will instantly be branded a "rambo" ninja. I think that's too bad because they are missing out on one hell of a knife. If you're looking to add a multi-tool to your BOB, I could not reccommend this knife more highly, especially for the price! :thumb:

Here's a guy that doesn't like the knife. I suspect he is one of those guys that wants his knives to be pristine all the time. You can still see the awesome capabilities of the knife in this guys video, despite his naysaying. He complains about the side the serrations are on. Not only have I not found this to gimp my abilities at all, but I've found it incredibly useful when using the knife as a hatchet!

I'd also like to point out that, in all of these peoples videos, they have a brand new unused knife. This knife shines after years of hard abuse! :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts