Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Plinker
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSHTF scenarios are interesting to discuss, even somewhat thrilling to talk about, but aside from the possible dangerous encounters with interlopers on your property, or how many rifles and ammo to stock for the end of days. I wonder if anyone has really thought about how this could actually effect ourselves and our family members? I have a fanciful mind and I've tossed these scenarios around with my wife and we came to a very sobering conclusion. My wife is a diabetic, needing to take insulin several times a day, which needs refrigeration. If things ever get as bad as the forums have suggested, my wife will be the first to die in my family, and not by a crazed tresspasser, but by the disease for which (most likely) medical help will be unavailable or sporadic at best. A very sobering thought indeed.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
I have a fanciful mind and I've tossed these scenarios around with my wife and we came to a very sobering conclusion. My wife is a diabetic, needing to take insulin several times a day, which needs refrigeration. If things ever get as bad as the forums have suggested, my wife will be the first to die in my family, and not by a crazed tresspasser, but by the disease for which (most likely) medical help will be unavailable or sporadic at best. A very sobering thought indeed.
Im right with ya there Sam. My wife is type 1 diebetic since she was 10. She tries to keep about 6 bottles insulin on hand in the fridge, but you know that will only last a few months if shtf.
Straight Razor Posted
Then look into buying locally or growing the momordica charantia, there is a lot of research showing it helps control Type 1. Even if you live in a northern climate you can preserve it. M. charantia is called the vegetable insulin...and with good reason.
There are a few other herbs that will also help lower the bs.

·
Registered
861 Posts
TSHTF scenarios are interesting to discuss, even somewhat thrilling to talk about, but aside from the possible dangerous encounters with interlopers on your property, or how many rifles and ammo to stock for the end of days. I wonder if anyone has really thought about how this could actually effect ourselves and our family members? I have a fanciful mind and I've tossed these scenarios around with my wife and we came to a very sobering conclusion. My wife is a diabetic, needing to take insulin several times a day, which needs refrigeration. If things ever get as bad as the forums have suggested, my wife will be the first to die in my family, and not by a crazed tresspasser, but by the disease for which (most likely) medical help will be unavailable or sporadic at best. A very sobering thought indeed.
If you are worried about keeping your wife's insulin refrigerated build you a ice house and cut ice in the put the ice in the ice house and cover the ice with saw dust if the building is well insulated the ice should last all summer.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
I'd like to hear more about this ice house - perhaps in another post.

That is tough for those of you with diabetic family members. I've been thinking a lot about the kids of ours who will go through a SHTF scenario, in terms of schooling, medicine, and financial futures. But those with newborns may be in a tight spot as a lack of fats and stress can stunt milk production, and newborns are susceptible to all sorts of sicknesses and viruses that may be hard to treat in that situation.

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

·
Plinker
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks "curdog", the ice house is a good idea, but the refrigeration is the least of worries. The real worry would be the availability of insulin supplies and diabetics need the medical appointments for tests and medicine adjustments etc.

·
I feel good.... . . .
494 Posts
Who are the first to go? ....other than the obvious ill and infirmed, it will be those that are at the extremes of age, then it will be survival of the fittest. That has how it has always been throughout history.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Doesn't lots, and lots and lots of exercise help diabetics?

Also eating a diet rich in raw veggies, lean meats, and light on modern high carb foods work really well too?

I have also heard that many diabetics are suffering from food allergies, predominantly modern foods that have undergone modern processing.

I have heard the same for Asthmatics and dairy products.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 5 month old and that is one of my biggest fears. I have just started prepping last week I just dont have any extra money. I have been going through Highlanders $5 list.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Doesn't lots, and lots and lots of exercise help diabetics?

Also eating a diet rich in raw veggies, lean meats, and light on modern high carb foods work really well too?
It does help. But if you are already on insulin shots, there's only so much that healthy living will for you. You either have the shots or you take a few months/years to die.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Most insulin comes from pigs right? And donors? I wonder how hard this stuff is to get out and If you could set up a small lab at home to do it. How hard can it be they do it all over the world. Maybe this will be my next big project. Homeade insuline. Could be fun.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Most insulin comes from pigs right? And donors? I wonder how hard this stuff is to get out and If you could set up a small lab at home to do it. How hard can it be they do it all over the world. Maybe this will be my next big project. Homeade insuline. Could be fun.
I've not made insuin myself but if I recall correctly from reading Lucifer's Hammer, primative methods of making insulin requires killing one sheep per month.

I have no clue as to how to raise sheep but I'd think you'd need to start off with a godawful huge flock of them to keep one diabetic (such as me) alive for several years.

·
Plinker
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some is "cadaver" based, some is "recumbent DNA", A bit much for the average joe I think.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Treatment does not have to be forever. There have been studies where diabetics chose a strict raw food diet. They were off insulin in a couple weeks and had reversed their diabetes in 30 days. There is a movie called 30 days raw. Most sickness is curable if you choose to research and be disciplined. I know I might be ridiculed as a health nut, but truth is truth. The first thing any "survivalist" should do is perfect their health IMHO. Don't count on doctors. They get paid to NOT cure illness that we bring on ourselves, but to treat it long term. :)

And yes, asthma can be treated as well by choosing a vegan diet as well as herbs such as mullein leaf. Dairy definitely aggravates the congestion.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My dad came down with diabetes in his late 70's (I dont know what type tho)..anyway he had to take meds ..I dont think they were in needle form so it may be a diff type of diabetes..but he was taking meds and put on a diet..he was like on that diet for a yr and no longer suffers from the diabetes..because with his meds and his adherence to his diet..your wife on the other had sounds like she suffers form what I lost my best friend to which was juvilnile diabetes..but then he never stuck to his diet and if I rem he had to take two diff kinds of insulin which he wouldnt do because one made him sick-ish after..anyway he passed away at 28 because of his not taking all his meds..bud , I wish I had an answer for ya because I know what u might have to face someday but tear the net up , ask the doctor and make all preps around her situation..Im confident u will come up with something

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
Considering your situation, staying put is a bad solution when shtf, because your medical supplies will run out. Therefor, bugging out is a better solution for you. It's not like there will be no insulin around when shtf, it's just that in some places the availability will decline. So if I were you, I'd carefully prepare a bugout, instead of stocking up lots of goods to stay put.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The first victims of SHTF will be in this order:

1-the very sick
2-the old
3-the unprepared

Consider yourself lucky if you aren't a 1 or 2, because if you are, you're done. And get busy preparing if you are a 3.

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
I disagree with no 2. It's not a matter of age, but of condition. Except if you're really old, but then it´s because of declining condition, not age in itself. But I mean, 70 or so isn´t too old to survive at all. Some ´old´ people know all the tricks of the game, that´s a huge advantage.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts