Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a move to block reposting of leaked TSA security documents, several lawmakers are asking Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano to examine if any legal remedies are available. I’m curious if the status of the documents could be changed to “classified’, providing DHS the mechanism it needs to have the material removed. [...]This story comes to us via Homeland Security - National Terror Alert. National Terror Alert is America's trusted source for homeland security news and information.

TSA Leaked Security Manual – Lawmakers Seek To Stop Reposting

More...

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
too late- i think everyone here already downloaded it.

dumbasses lol

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
Unredacted TSA manual

I was the one that posted the file here and it is ridiculous that the file was removed. Anything that the Gov prints has no copyright to worry about and the file can be found using a Google search and a little patience. Further it didn't violate any forum rules to post it. Just the case of a mod that loves to censor people. If something was done wrong so the file had to be removed then I should have been notified what rule I had broken. Lastly I included a link to a CBS article the had a link to the .pdf to show the public source.

This is the like with the unredacted TSA manual.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/08/eveningnews/main5942088.shtml
Again this was posted and is STILL posted online.

So if the mod that removed the file can tell me why it was removed I might appreciate it.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
It was removed from the downloads section.
my point is that once it hits the net- there really is no control. a million downloads could have taken place- and 'banning' it will be about as possible as John staying away from the banhammer for an entire month :D:

Its still plastered all over the major and minor torrent and .RAR sites

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
Looks to me that the politically correct (or politically incorrect) hammer has hit us on top of the head here at this website. But fear of our goobement is all-pervasive now, even on the internet, which is the last bastion of freedom it seems.

·
Μολὼν λάβ
576 Posts
I was the one that posted the file here and it is ridiculous that the file was removed. Anything that the Gov prints has no copyright to worry about and the file can be found using a Google search and a little patience. Further it didn't violate any forum rules to post it. Just the case of a mod that loves to censor people....

So if the mod that removed the file can tell me why it was removed I might appreciate it.

I came across this issue when I posted and DHS memo a while back. Kev quickly deleted it from the download section, and rightly so. I had somehow overlooked that the memo had been classified as "Official Use Only", which could have caused serious repercussions to this board had .gov gotten a a notion.

I see that the document posted by CBS is marked "sensitive" and "need to know" and threatens civil action for its disclosure. I am sure CBS has the pockets to fund some major fines, but I would question whether or not Kev has such resources. In this light, and because I enjoy this board, I can understand both deletions.

I am not trying to scold you, just throw some light on the issue. Yes, I was a bit upset when it happened to me, but it had been my oversight, and Kev has the right to make sure our oversights don't threaten the existence of his boards.

:cool:

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I have not downloaded it from the CBS website but was wondering what the legal repercussions, if any, are from someone viewing it or possessing such a government document? Is it just distribution that is frowned upon?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I came across this issue when I posted and DHS memo a while back. Kev quickly deleted it from the download section, and rightly so. I had somehow overlooked that the memo had been classified as "Official Use Only", which could have caused serious repercussions to this board had .gov gotten a a notion.

I see that the document posted by CBS is marked "sensitive" and "need to know" and threatens civil action for its disclosure. I am sure CBS has the pockets to fund some major fines, but I would question whether or not Kev has such resources. In this light, and because I enjoy this board, I can understand both deletions.

I am not trying to scold you, just throw some light on the issue. Yes, I was a bit upset when it happened to me, but it had been my oversight, and Kev has the right to make sure our oversights don't threaten the existence of his boards.

:cool:
Theres a difference between seeking a ban on public release on documents and it actually happening. So far it hasn't been banned from anywhere -- xcept here. :p

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
Strange, as the document really doesn't divulge anything that is really security-sensitive, in my opinion. Me thinks that its about control. Plus a lot of it tells me what I already knew.
Good questions though, BJJ.

·
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)
3,059 Posts
Kev doesn't need a remote chance of a Fed lawyer nailing him with a suit that would channel the sites resources and ultimately shut it down. Just makes practical sense to me. OPSEC.....

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,227 Posts
I was the one that posted the file here and it is ridiculous that the file was removed. Anything that the Gov prints has no copyright to worry about and the file can be found using a Google search and a little patience. Further it didn't violate any forum rules to post it. Just the case of a mod that loves to censor people. If something was done wrong so the file had to be removed then I should have been notified what rule I had broken. Lastly I included a link to a CBS article the had a link to the .pdf to show the public source.

This is the like with the unredacted TSA manual.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/08/eveningnews/main5942088.shtml

What happens on other websites is not our concern. What happens on this website is.

The TSA download was removed since it contained this...
SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION
WARNING: THIS RECORD CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PARTS 15 AND 1520.
NO PART OF THIS RECORD MAY BE DISCLOSED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A “NEED TO KNOW,” AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR PARTS 15 AND
1520, EXCEPT WITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION OR
THE SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT IN CIVIL PENALTIES OR OTHER ACTION.
That means if Kev allows it to be downloaded from his site he could face civil penalties or other actions because he is not authorized to release the information.

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
Pure BS

This is complete BS, I see posts from members talking about rebelling against the gov yet those posts continue. If it is a matter of it being a gov doc then all the FM's need to be removed since they are gov docs. Once something becomes public info, regardless of its previous security rating, it is public property under "Fair use". Yet we have 160 military manuals on this site, Like I said, this is complete BS.

To add just a note on some constant threads I see that are illegal and people talk about it as an illegal activity:
Pirate radio's - Not FCC approved Ham
Weapons alterations
The what if's on killing people

The list goes on and disgusts me

AnchorBanger, You use Opsec in the wrong context. There is no Opsec on a gov doc that is available on WWW. There are many things here that used to be classified are are no longer.

·
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)
3,059 Posts
This is complete BS, I see posts from members talking about rebelling against the gov yet those posts continue. If it is a matter of it being a gov doc then all the FM's need to be removed since they are gov docs. Once something becomes public info, regardless of its previous security rating, it is public property under "Fair use". Yet we have 160 military manuals on this site, Like I said, this is complete BS.

To add just a note on some constant threads I see that are illegal and people talk about it as an illegal activity:
Pirate radio's - Not FCC approved Ham
Weapons alterations
The what if's on killing people

The list goes on and disgusts me
Nice Opsec. Are any of the manuals classified with "eyes only" or the like? I understand where you are coming from, but doesn't it make sense to just leave the opportunity to let "them" get a leg up on "US"..

·
Super Moderator
23,227 Posts
All of the Military manuals you see available on this site should have this inside them...
DISTRIBUTION RESTRICTION. APPROVED FOR PUBLIC
RELEASE; DISTRIBUTION IS UNLIMITED
If they do not have that they should be reported to a staff member or mod so they can be removed.

Just because you see a military manual on this forum doesn't mean it's the latest version. Most of the military manuals on this site are older editions that have been updated. After the updates the gov. usually allows the older version to be released to the public.

You should read the thread on copyrights http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=30353
Kev, the forum owner make it pretty clear how he feels about copyrighted material and access restricted material fails into that same category.

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
All of the Military manuals you see available on this site should have this inside them...

If they do not have that they should be reported to a staff member or mod so they can be removed.

Just because you see a military manual on this forum doesn't mean it's the latest version. Most of the military manuals on this site are older editions that have been updated. After the updates the gov. usually allows the older version to be released to the public.

You should read the thread on copyrights http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=30353
Kev, the forum owner make it pretty clear how he feels about copyrighted material and access restricted material fails into that same category.
This is not a copyright issue as explained by kev as I provided a link to the sourse. In my original post I provided a link to the news source I got the doc from. To me this was an exercise in ignorance on the part of the forum.

·
Super Moderator
23,227 Posts
This is not a copyright issue as explained by kev as I provided a link to the sourse. In my original post I provided a link to the news source I got the doc from. To me this was an exercise in ignorance on the part of the forum.

I don't care where else it was posted. That doesn't make it right or okay to post here.

The original post was not a copyright issue, it was a security issue and a civil liability issue. We don't like the forum being sued or raided.

The inside of the TSA download clearly stated...
SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION
WARNING: THIS RECORD CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PARTS 15 AND 1520.
NO PART OF THIS RECORD MAY BE DISCLOSED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A “NEED TO KNOW,” AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR PARTS 15 AND
1520, EXCEPT WITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION OR
THE SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT IN CIVIL PENALTIES OR OTHER ACTION.
That is the issue. Kev is not authorized to release that information.

For all you know the original "leak" was just a gov. plot to see how many forums would post copies of it so they could go after those forums and shut them down, and the main stream media is helping them by making it look like a real story.... and you fell for it!

If you don't like this or any other actions taken against you or anything you've posted please feel free to start a thread in the grievance section and the forum owner will decide what to do.

You can find that section here...http://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
This is complete BS, I see posts from members talking about rebelling against the gov yet those posts continue.
There is a difference between "rebelling" against the government, which is seditious, and opposing it's policies.

When myself and most others talking about opposing the government, they mean within the established system of law, order, politics, voting etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts