Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought myself some new farming tools last week. Most of these I had used before, but some are new to me:

4 1/2 ft one man cross cut saw, looks like a nice saw but I need to file and stone the teeth.

Scythe with 30 inch grass blade, I used my dad's scythe years ago, won't get to test this until spring.

Push type rotary hoe, great garden tool, bought mine from Lehman's.

High wheel cultivator, great tool.

Single row garden seeder, always wanted one of these, won't get to test it until spring.

Woodmans Pal machete, tested it on the Oleanders, seems to work on woody brush better than a light machete.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
I'm looking forward to your reports from actual use of some of these items come Spring. Like you I like Lehman's and I've thought about buying that rotary hoe, high wheel cultivator and garden seeder.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,419 Posts
I bought a big wheel cultivator and Earthway seeder last year and used them in my garden. The cultivator is great if your soil is loose. I had a hard time with it in mine, but with a little work, the soil will get better.

The seeder on the other hand, is a real jewel! I used it to plant beans, corn and a few different greens. It's not perfect and it multi seeds the tiny greens occasionally, even with the proper plate. I also used it to sidedress corn and found that the markings on the sidedresser attachment are not even close to accurate. You need to tinker with it to figure out what spread rate you're going to get. Overall, I wouldn't trade it for anything though. Just like any tool, it takes learning to use it properly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
the scythe would be cool to have...i've seen some pictures in the Johnny's selected seeds catalog...thought it would be good for cutting down cover crops/green manure and maybe some grain crops, too....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts