Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey SB,

So my truck and my car have had a GHB each for awhile now, but I've wanted to be able to tool up when I go away. My day to day work week doesn't allow that, my car is subject to random searches as a govt. contractor. So for the weekends or trips, I have come up with throwing in an extra bag that can hold those self defense or larger items that would cause me trouble on a govt facility.

A Rothco duffle bag (I have the zippered one 21"x36") with the following:
Ruger 10/22 Takedown, a brick of ammo, 4x 25rnd mags.
Machete or Camp Axe
KaBar or other large fixed blade knife.
Maybe my 5.11 cloth vest (not molle) or other gear.
This would also give me more room for food or good first aid, which my current GHB is lacking.

The duffle is huge, I may downsize and use this for something else; Rothco has shoulder bags, tool bags, and other duffles that look appealing. The idea is a bag that just holds stuff, and it's one kit that jumps from car to the truck depending.
I chose the 10/22 Takedown since I want the utility of .22lr for my area of operations. This and the large blades would be problems if I always left these in the car.

So how do you all tool up your car gear?

Cheers,

P.S. (I live in the people's republic of Maryland, maybe I'll get to live free one day.)

·
Registered
72 Posts
While a good .22 to me is an essential item in the overall picture (good small game getter, and quiet esp. when using the right ammuntion), I would opt for a centerfire rifle or PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine) of some kind for a GHB. if storage size is a consideration Kel Tek has a couple of decent options the SU-16 in .223 with several variants that folds in half, takes AR style mags with a foregrip that folds out into a bipod, and the Sub 2000 (or if you can find one an older Sub 9) that is 9mm or 40 S&W that also folds in two which is about as small as a 10/22 takedown.

Both of these do have their limitations - My experience with them is that the Su-16 is good but seems to have a tight chamber and doesn't like steel cased ammunition and can experience FTE's after 100+ rounds of it - though brass is fine, and the Sub 2000 / Sub 9's have rudimentary sights without many good options for anything else because the barrel folds up over the top of the receiver.

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
I use a Jan Sport sling bag that is really just a teardrop day pack with one wide strap.

The side pocket has a kleen Kanteen 40 oz. bottle.

The front pouch carries a spare folding knife, paper, tactical pen, flashlight multitool etc.

The front zipper pocket carries spare batteries bulbs sewing kit etc.

The main pouch carries binoculars, mora, pistol w/holster magazines and spare ammo, gloves, med kit and the 10 essentials in a mesh bag.

There is plenty of room left for small items, such as a life straw, water filter or extra water bottles, that I may or may not pack depending on where I'm going.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to find a pistol caliber carbine in a small form factor and easy/quick to assemble to disassemble. Maybe a buy in the future.

·
What would Mal do
4,787 Posts
plus 1 on the suggestion of parking outside of a controlled/subject-to-search area.

I left that world about a year back now...but my answer in those days was a bike...racked on the trunk sometimes, or a nice folder (full size Dahon) became a fulltime resident of the commuter car trunk.
also locked into the trunk flooring was a mossberg mariner JIC 12ga and a compact 1911 45acp for my get home bag.

winter mornings the cold made me wish I would whimp out and park in the attached garage deck...but the comfort of knowing my car at least was well armed (grin)..kept me walking the extra couple/several blocks to the office...if I was parking way out...then the bike...tried the free trolly deal a couple times..but you were either there when they pulled up or you were out of luck for too long a wait til the next one came by.

anyway..to answer you question... there happens to be a ruger takedown in the trunk at the moment, not as part of a get home plan..but just cause I haven't figured out what i want to do with it.. i just couldn't pass on a good price.
most guys I know ,carry a budget model AR15 in their cars... and i get their thinking...for me, an AR in this current political climate might raise more questions than I care to put up with.
and I'm not looking to get in an extended firefight in the city.. I'm looking to pursuade folks to please move out of the way so I can get out of the city.
anyway..it's all old news... gave up the better paying gig and tool a lesser job no longer in town...commute is half as long, parking is free, car isn't subject to search and the protestors don't come down here...yes there is still a GHB and firearm in the trunk but not as intense as i used to be about it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
thanks for posting.I am not a huge fan of rifles or carbines for get home scenario, they draw would draw a bit too much attention. but i live and work in a suburban area and have only an approx. 10 hour commute home if i had to walk it, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. my GHB usually contains a full size pistol, extra mags and cartridges, first aid and blowout kits, food and water for double the length of trip, plus map compass, fire starting etc. i use a sweetbriar messenger bag. it is really nondescript but well made

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a Hi Point 995 9mm carbine. Small enough to conceal under a coat, fits in side of bag nicely, light weight, and ammo is common. Also, only out $249 if broken into and stolen.

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
The 10/22 TD is a great little trunk gun. I mounted a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot and threw in 4 BX-25 magazines and a couple CCI hundred packs of minimag ammo.

My only hitch is the bright red Ruger logo on the carry case. Sometimes and in some situations I really don't want to advertise for Ruger. May have to cover it over with a smiley face patch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 10/22 TD is a great little trunk gun. I mounted a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot and threw in 4 BX-25 magazines and a couple CCI hundred packs of minimag ammo.

My only hitch is the bright red Ruger logo on the carry case. Sometimes and in some situations I really don't want to advertise for Ruger. May have to cover it over with a smiley face patch.
Thanks for the reply! Did you go to solely the red dot or do you also have see-thru mounting for the irons or a QD mount for the bushnell?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for posting.I am not a huge fan of rifles or carbines for get home scenario, they draw would draw a bit too much attention. but i live and work in a suburban area and have only an approx. 10 hour commute home if i had to walk it, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. my GHB usually contains a full size pistol, extra mags and cartridges, first aid and blowout kits, food and water for double the length of trip, plus map compass, fire starting etc. i use a sweetbriar messenger bag. it is really nondescript but well made
Yup Yup... mine isn't for commuting, but weekend trips or day trips to rural areas.

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,137 Posts
haha true for some people. Maryland law is not as kind to having a handgun in a car; must be in transit to and fro a shop/range/gunsmith etc... long guns are more kosher. :|
I'm sorry but how can you not pull your hair out in anger when typing that? I know it ****es me off to hear it... I can't believe what some states do to law abiding citizens...

rant over

1 - 20 of 100 Posts